Acetone Fuel Additive Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Warstud:
Those that are testing it in city driving are not getting an accurate reading because the conditions are not always the same. You have to test it on the highway say at 70mph with cruise on for 50 miles. There and back and take the average. Before that of course you must see what it is without the acetone. Plus you need some kind of electronic mileage device like a scangauge to accurate.

Nah, I always drive around the same area and I know for the last 5-10 tank fulls what I have been getting for my fuel economy.

I know what I am doing and I would NOT post my results if I didn't know for sure they were right.

2nd results of my 98 crown vic..my last results showed an inc . in mpg from 16.5 to 23.5..now today my mpg increased to 25.1mpg..all this is city driving..i added 2oz./10gals of acetone at every other fill..of course i use 2 oz. of fuel power/10 gals....if i would have thought about it i should have checked my mileage using fp-60 by itself...i will do that later..the important thing is that iam saving alot of money

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
2nd results of my 98 crown vic..my last results showed an inc . in mpg from 16.5 to 23.5..now today my mpg increased to 25.1mpg..all this is city driving..i added 2oz./10gals of acetone at every other fill..of course i use 2 oz. of fuel power/10 gals....if i would have thought about it i should have checked my mileage using fp-60 by itself...i will do that later..the important thing is that iam saving alot of money

You must have seriously cleaned something that was fouled up to get that big of an increase.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
thats a possibility but i keep my engines spotless with overkill maintenance

I honestly don't think that a Crown Vic can get 25mpg with only 100% city driving. It is rated for 17mpg and the EPA testing is really an overkill.

I am not saying you are lying, but you car is only supposed to get 25mpg with 100% highway driving.

Did you guys know that the USA scores behind most third world contries in math proficiency? I wonder how much that has to do with the results

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
Did you guys know that the USA scores behind most third world contries in math proficiency? I wonder how much that has to do with the results

Low blows and sarcastic comments are not required or wanted in this thread.

Move along....

i use a fuel calculator and i also check my own math and it is all accurate..i do have alot of other things i did to the vic too..like all synthetics redline and motul,catch can on my pcv and i use fp60 and lc20 also..so all that care one can do to your vehicle does pay off...

After further reading of this topic, I think that the next time I fill 'er up, I just might have to try this as well. What's the worst thing that can happen, beautifying my fuel tank!! I don't think that it'll do any damage to the fuel system per se as I frequently use Sunoco gasline which produly advertises 10% ethanol in their fuels.

Is there anything misguided with this particular logic?

How does everyone else here dispense there Acetone?? I tried a few plastic measuring cups and both ruined from the Acetone. Would the FP measuring bottles work? AR

quote:

Originally posted by Johnson994:
It is a very bad idea to use acetone in your fuel because it will destroy all the rubber parts in your fuel system.

Your basis for this claim is what?

================================================

Given the concentrations we're talking about, the properties of gasoline itself, and acetone, I'm not concerned about fuel system damage, even in the long term.

I do have another concern, though. That is, there's some risk inherent in the handling of acetone as it is put into the car, presumably still at full concentration. I've used acetone on occasion to strip difficult films from my windshield (it is very effective when used for this purpose), and noticed to my chagrin that if it so much as touches the nearby paint or plastic trim, it will immediately scar them. I still use it, with extreme caution, and I'd recommend that anyone trying it in their gas use the same extreme caution to avoid paint damage from splatters or spills.

Airborne Ranger, use a small Pyrex glass measuring cup. Glass is non-reactive to all reactive type fluids (acids, alkalines, etc.)

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
How does everyone else here dispense there Acetone?? I tried a few plastic measuring cups and both ruined from the Acetone. Would the FP measuring bottles work? AR

I don't know how good it would be for the very "runny" and "active" acetone, but I use an emptied "Stabil" fuel preservative bottle to dispense my FP60 (f/k/a Fuel Power). It's the bottle with two chambers, the large lower one holds the supply, and the small upper one is used to measure and dispense. There's a little tube between them, you just loosen the two caps and squeeze until the desired amount travels from the supply chamber to the measuring/dispensing chamber. This might work for acetone as well.

Small funnel is how I dispense it.

BTW, a small bit of acetone going on the paint will not cause any real damage without force being applied. It is so volatile that it will evaporate in seconds.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

BTW, a small bit of acetone going on the paint will not cause any real damage without force being applied. It is so volatile that it will evaporate in seconds.

The evap rate is fortunate, given the aggressiveness of its solvency. My comment was based on a memorable accident I had when I dribbled some acetone on the paint on my A-pillar when cleaning my windshield. It made a hazy whitish spot on the clearcoat that contrasted sharply with the blue paint on that car. After a couple days, it went away. The marks it makes on plastic trim, however, do not go away. I'm definitely not saying, "don't use this stuff," I'm just recommending caution.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

The evap rate is fortunate, given the aggressiveness of its solvency. My comment was based on a memorable accident I had when I dribbled some acetone on the paint on my A-pillar when cleaning my windshield. It made a hazy whitish spot on the clearcoat that contrasted sharply with the blue paint on that car. After a couple days, it went away. The marks it makes on plastic trim, however, do not go away. I'm definitely not saying, "don't use this stuff," I'm just recommending caution.
cheers.gif

Oh for sure, sorry if I sounded confrontational because that was not my intention.
smile.gif

I was just making understand that if they spill a small amount it shouldnt do any harm.
cheers.gif

This last tank I "think" will be a little off seeing I had one of my spark plugs back out on me a bit allowing compresion blowing by the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back