Miracle Fuel-saving Devices that Didn't Work ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting MPG gauges onto vehicles doesn't seem to work. Folks tend to ignore them. Good information for the people willing to reconsider their driving habits, though.

I've found my heavy right foot seems to work well, at least on city surface arterials. I tend to drive a bit faster, often hitting that magic sweet spot for efficiency for most vehicles, for me being between 70 km/h to 90 km/h (45 mph to 55 mph), depending on what the posted limit is, along with conditions, traffic, etc. I also tend to try to time for green lights, and plan ahead to try to stay in the most free flowing lane possible. My goal isn't fuel saving, but time saving. The added benefit is I tend to get better claimed city fuel economy. I've also since read somewhere that claimed acclerating using about half the travel of the accelerator is actually more efficient, again, being a little heavy footed, I do. Very gentle acceleration and WOT are not the most efficient according to this theory. Not sure if this theory has ever been proven or disproven, but I've only read about it once, and then never again.

My right foot doesn't work well on the highway, though. I take a small penalty for the cruising speeds I prefer (120 km/h or 75 mph).

And nothing really works for short cold trips, downtown driving or gridlock.

Originally Posted By: weebl
I've also since read somewhere that claimed acclerating using about half the travel of the accelerator is actually more efficient, again, being a little heavy footed, I do. Very gentle acceleration and WOT are not the most efficient according to this theory. Not sure if this theory has ever been proven or disproven, but I've only read about it once, and then never again.

I used to follow the hypermilage sites for a while. The theory is that short, brisk acceleration followed by coasting (gradually losing speed) is more economical than slow acceleration followed by holding speed. This has been tested and confirmed as effective over and over again IN VEHICLES THAT DO NOT AGGRESSIVELY COMPRESSION BRAKE WHILE COASTING.

I have to use caps because some gearhead with a high compression stickshift truck or drag race car will come along and say it's not true.

I have a 10th Gen Corolla which cuts fuel supply and adjusts valve timing to coast, and then adjusts to compression braking when you start to brake. It's so smooth I only know what's going on because I watch the tach and the fuel economy guage and understand the technology.

I try to drive economically but don't use really aggressive hypermiling techniques like cutting the engine at stoplights, but I get 34-36 MPG regularly, 36 more often than 34. That's 1-3 more than EPA highway for my 1.8L Corolla LE. Older Corollas could do better but that's really great considering this is a 132HP engine. I bet I could hit 40 if my commute wasn't so darned hilly.

In the late '90s I lived in Southern California and drove a beater Ford F150 with a rebuilt carbureted 4.9L I-6 engine. I was getting pretty bad fuel economy, around 13-14 MPG on mostly freeway driving. A friend of mine wanted to try a 2-for-1 deal on a mail order platinum fuel saving device. I thought 'what the heck' and we paid about $150 for two of these. If I recall correctly, it was installed by plumbing it into the PCV system. There was a clear plastic bottle with some mystery juice in it, and supposedly the PCV system would suck minute particles of platinum into the intake which would create a more complete combustion, leading to higher fuel economy. What a bunch of [censored]! Of course my fuel economy was unchanged after using the system for a year. I threw the system in the trash. My friend had the same results from the one he installed on his car too.

The good news is that the $75 I spent on this bogus device opened my eyes to all the products out there that have the primary goal of separating me from my money. I stopped buying oil and fuel additives. Guess what? My engines last just as long without buying any of that junk. I stopped buying specialized cleaners such as engine degreaser and tire/wheel cleaners. Diluted Purple Power works just about as well for 1/50 of the price. So that $75 I wasted on the stupid platinum system has indirectly saved me hundreds of dollars now that I look at products with a different perspective.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
A friend of mine wanted to try a 2-for-1 deal on a mail order platinum fuel saving device.

Seems this device has been studied before.
Platinum Fuel Saver

Short answer: it didn't work. But, there's a lot of basic information in the .pdf, if you want a primer in fuel and combustion.

I never fell for the fuel savers, BUT, for every power adder out ere I subscribed.

The LT1 wasn't cutting the mustard so I spent on a $50 airfoil, $200 CAI, $500 dual friction clutch, $300 computer, $75 tornado $600 exhaust and my car probably ran slower after emptying my pockets.

Oh and let's not forget the NOS Ina bottle...octane booster for $10. But i did put a 100hpshot on it that actually did something. I'm proud I outgrew street racing, but will admit toa little jaunt on the interstate now and then if the coast is clear.

I have since learned that, IMO, factory is best unless you want a muffler for sound. Also, my money is best spent on car Audio that is made here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back