Road trip fuel economy predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The family and I will be leaving soon for a 3,000+ mile road trip. I love taking such trips and one of the things I am looking forward to on this one (apart from the scenery, much of which will be new to me) is seeing how the Burb handles it and how it does in terms of fuel economy with so much of the trip (90%+) being highway travel.

The route is from southern California, north through Salt Lake City, east across southern and central Wyoming to northwest Nebraska, north to Mount Rushmore, south to Denver and Colorado Springs (where there will be 3-4 days of city driving), west across Colorado and Utah, and finally shooting south to get back home. Unfortunately, we will be driving interstates as much as possible (15, 80, 25, 76, and 70), as the destinations, rather than the travel, are the goals and the vehicle will be occupied by four children under the age of seven. Future trips a few years down the road will be more drive/sites driven.

The Burb runs pretty well and only shows its 12 years and 135,000 miles in a few ways. The spark plugs and wires, engine air filter, and tranny fluid (Dexron III) and filter have all been replaced within the past two years. Three months ago the engine coolant was replaced when I did the water pump and yesterday I just finished changing fluids in the transfer case (ACDelco Auto-Trak II) and front and rear diffs (Renewable Lube 75W-90), and topped off the day with fuel filter and oil (G-Oil syn 5W-30) changes. Tomorrow I am having the front alignment done.

The Burb is EPA estimated at 12/15/13 mpg (4WD, non-flex fuel) and we normally get 12-13, but will be loaded down with ~500 lbs of people and another couple hundred pounds of luggage, snacks, games, etc. I drive conservatively and will be sticking to the speed limits, which I assume will range from 65 to 75 mph, but my wife tends to drive 5 mph over. We will be crossing the Continental Divide twice. The tires are slightly oversized (1" taller than stock) and will be inflated to 40 psi (door placard is 35 psi, IIRC). I plan on dosing the gas with 1 oz TC-W3 per 5 gallons for the full trip and only using Top Tier fuels. The way I will calculate average fuel economy is by dividing the total number of miles driven (corrected for 3% taller tires) by the total gallons consumed, using the same gas station and pump near home for the first and final fills. With all of those variables and fresh lighter-end-of-the-spectrum fluids, I am thinking 16 mpg is doable. The weights and mountain climbs keep me from realistically estimating 17 mpg.

Anyone else care to guess as to that final mpg number?

Lots of elevation changes on that route so you'll lose some mileage. I'd guess on the low-end of that scale.

What will we win if we guess correctly?

Why not go north thru Wyoming and hit Yellowstone then go east to Rushmore before you go south to Colorado? I wasn't that impressed with Mt Rushmore although it is a pretty nice area there in the Black Hills.

I find I get reasonable good mileage driving in the mountains, especially if I take advantage of the downhills and try not to push the speed going up hill. The air is a little thinner and usually pretty cool temperatures. You will like the gas prices in Wyoming compared to CA

It sounds like a gas, I can't wait to take a trip this summer myself.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I will say 15.7 MPG if I win do I get a prize? :)

I'll give you a firm pat on the back! Just make your way to Cali and it's all yours!

What benefit will the TC-W3 dosing have? It seems like you'll be going through so much fuel so fast, it wouldn't be in your fuel system long enough to do any cleaning.

I guess 15 mpg.

Originally Posted By: datech
Why not go north thru Wyoming and hit Yellowstone then go east to Rushmore before you go south to Colorado? I wasn't that impressed with Mt Rushmore although it is a pretty nice area there in the Black Hills.

I would if I could! The problem is, we don't have the time. Denver is the main goal, with NE an add-on for my sister-in-law's college graduation (requiring us to shoot from SLC to NE in one long day) and Mt Rushmore an add-on to that.

Originally Posted By: datech
I find I get reasonable good mileage driving in the mountains, especially if I take advantage of the downhills and try not to push the speed going up hill. The air is a little thinner and usually pretty cool temperatures. You will like the gas prices in Wyoming compared to CA

It sounds like a gas, I can't wait to take a trip this summer myself.

I don't do much mountain driving, but expect the torque converter to remain locked up for most uphill portions as the Burb pulls pretty darn well at 65 mph/2,000 rpm and rarely has to downshift on even moderate elevation gains. I will use tow/haul during steeper sections and gravity will be my friend during downhill stretches.

Yeah but the TC-W3 will be there the entire 3000 miles.

I find it tricky dosing my gas when traveling. At home I mix it in a one gallon gas can before I put it in my tank. On the road I have to try to get the right dose and pour it into the tank before I fill up. It gets a little messy and I don't always get the dose right.

A ~700 lbs load is nothing to a Suburban.
You'll also be passing through a number of areas where E0 is readily available, which will help a little.
If you drive as gently as you say you will, I think you'll see 17 mpg average for your trip.
Sounds like a very nice road trip.
Have fun!

I agree 16 is doable, just depends. We had an 04 Suburban bought off lease w/36000 mi and sold it with around 110000 miles on the odo. They are a great American vehicle if you asked me. Lots of good memories with the family for me also. Have a great trip !!

Right on! Nice plan! We are doing something similar this July. But we will be heading out from Indianapolis to Spearfish, SD ( Leads,Deadwood, Mt Rushmore ), to Yellowstone, to Vegas ( Grand Canyon ) , Colorado and back to Indy. Same as you, looking forward towards the scenery and the people. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will be doing the trip in an Infiniti G35 Sedan, if not, the Mazda it is!

Good Luck on your trip! And I predict 16.5 mpg!

I would guess around 16 mpg, That's what my Burb got on really long trips, Same powertrain as yours (LM7/4L60E), About same weight, My old 2wd 3/4 ton vs your newer 4wd 1/2 ton.

I am guessing 17 is easily doable. I get 18+ in my E350 15 passenger van with a 5.4L 2V V8 and 4r75w 4 speed auto. The key with these big vehicles is to keep speeds down. I drive under 65 at all times, typically about 62-63mph. I think another problem with these things is gearing. I believe I would get better MPG with 4.10s as opposed to 3.73s. The cruising RPM would be up a little, but the lower throttle setting would compensate. I ran 4.56-1s in my 2000 V6 F150 and got 20-21mpg under 65mph and 13mpg while towing 5500lbs. Keep the RPM around 2000, get a scan gauge E, and see what it shows. Even if you dont re-gear, you can for sure find your most economical cruising RPM.

Open road; you will likely get 15 miles per gallon; maybe slightly better. Keep your speed below 65 miles per hour. If you do 75, you will be in a whole new world of gas hoggery.

Amen about the Scangauge. They really make a great addition to any vehicle if you ask me. I look at it almost more than the speedometer.

Do the speedlimit and try not to use the cruise control on uphill grades and I bet that with the higher elevations, and your cruising on down hill grades you will get 17.45 miles to the gallon. Please do not disappoint me. I love to win these guessing games.

I just did about 600 miles in my '88 Cadillac (v8-rear drive) and averaged 18.5 mpg. Car was fully loaded with military gear.
Your 17mpg goal seems doable.

I had a '96 Silverado with the 5.7L, it got 17 on the highway. If it were me since time is an issue, don't worry about gas mileage. If you can get to your destination faster by going pretty quick and it hurts your gas mileage by 1 mpg, I wouldn't bat an eye at it.

It is too bad you can't do Yellowstone! Maybe go there rather than Mt. Rushmore! Kids will like it, tons of Geysers, can see Old Faithful, they have a wildlife park where the kids can see wolves and bears. Also Buffalos all over the place along with deer and stuff.

Yellowstone is great. I'm about 2 years from planning a trip out there; was there years ago and have dreamt of going back ever since. Need to get the kids toughened up first, 'ole dad plans on lots of hiking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back