Accident update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just gets more and more asinine.

I get a call today from her insurance co. They said after reviewing my witness statement,she admitted fault,BUT she said it was my fault too because I could've steered around her,braked harder,or just shouldn't have been in the intersection when she "wanted" to turn. I was like,"what the [censored]??" They said they'll take 70% fault and fault me 30%. She goes on to say "Well you know teenagers,she probably wasn't paying attention",BINGO!! She also said "Well,maybe you should've had a dash cam",which my reply was "The day it becomes mandatory by law I'll obtain one,and that your client had her head up her [censored],plain and simple". I told her [censored] NO,that is NOT acceptable and is in fact comical! I told her either I or both I and Allstate will see you in front of a judge.

I called my agent today,got her voice mail message,she was out of the office for the day.I left her a detailed message and will be calling her back tomorrow asap. Is Geico really THIS STUPID?? Seriously??

Really, you know, it is your fault. You should have stayed home that day, and none of this would have happened.
wink.gif
I'd be saying no deal to 70%-30%, at least there. In Saskatchewan, that has no meaning outside of court. If SGI thinks they're primarily responsible, be that 51%, 75%, or 100%, they are 100% responsible, it goes on their record, they pay their deductible and get hit on points, and you pay nothing and have nothing on your record or points.

In NJ, unless you're rear ended, you will bear some responsibility for the crash no matter who is primarily at fault. You have an obligation to avoid a crash.

Never heard of insurance denying a claim due to who's at fault. I mean, that's why bad drivers need insurance, too.

Time to subrogate to your insurance company (Allstate?) and let their lawyers deal with Geico. If you are not at fault, you will eventually get your deductible back. As a matter of personal policy, I subrogate any accidents, and get on with my life.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
Time to subrogate to your insurance company (Allstate?) and let their lawyers deal with Geico. If you are not at fault, you will eventually get your deductible back. As a matter of personal policy, I subrogate any accidents, and get on with my life.

Yep,that's exactly what I'm doing. Last week my agent told me if they try to weasel out of any responsibility,they'll take them to court.

Is this typical for how insurance dealings go in the US? This whole thread blows my mind
crazy2.gif

Up here you just deal with your own insurance company, take it to an approved shop for an estimate and away you go. Fault is as Garak described it. Your insurance company goes after the other party's insurance company for their money if the other party is at fault, but you are not a part of that process.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Is this typical for how insurance dealings go in the US? This whole thread blows my mind
crazy2.gif

Up here you just deal with your own insurance company, take it to an approved shop for an estimate and away you go. Fault is as Garak described it. Your insurance company goes after the other party's insurance company for their money if the other party is at fault, but you are not a part of that process.

Yep, exactly the same process here as you described. Insurance in the US seems like an absolute nightmare!

We were not directly involved in subrogation when our insurance went after the at fault driver's insurance when my wife's 2011 Mustang was totaled to recover costs including reimbursement of deductible. We only had to wait for completion of that process to receive a check for our deductible.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It just gets more and more asinine.

I get a call today from her insurance co. They said after reviewing my witness statement,she admitted fault,BUT she said it was my fault too because I could've steered around her,braked harder,or just shouldn't have been in the intersection when she "wanted" to turn. I was like,"what the [censored]??" They said they'll take 70% fault and fault me 30%. She goes on to say "Well you know teenagers,she probably wasn't paying attention",BINGO!! She also said "Well,maybe you should've had a dash cam",which my reply was "The day it becomes mandatory by law I'll obtain one,and that your client had her head up her [censored],plain and simple". I told her [censored] NO,that is NOT acceptable and is in fact comical! I told her either I or both I and Allstate will see you in front of a judge.

I called my agent today,got her voice mail message,she was out of the office for the day.I left her a detailed message and will be calling her back tomorrow asap. Is Geico really THIS STUPID?? Seriously??

Why are you even talking with Geico? Whenever they call, refer them to your Allstate Insurance Co representative.

Originally Posted by hpb
crazy2.gif

Yep, exactly the same process here as you described. Insurance in the US seems like an absolute nightmare!

Same here - my daughter's car was in a prang not long ago...towed to the yard, written off a couple of days later, paid out in full within a week of it happening. She had it insured for twice what it was worth, no questions asked.

Originally Posted by hpb
crazy2.gif

The only time I got involved was many years ago when I did not accept responsibility. Then, my insurance still washes their hands of it, and they pay the guy. I have to sue in small claims court. In that case, I won, and I got my deductible back, and had the collision removed from my record. I was found to be something like 30% at fault, and that, as mentioned before, has no meaning here for driver's records. In this province, it's even easier with everyone having basic insurance from the same insurer.

Originally Posted by hpb
crazy2.gif

That's how it works here, but people avoid contacting their own insurance because a claim can mean an increase in rates or dropped coverage.

crazy2.gif

Normally^^^^this^^^^ is what you do. For some unknown reason aquariuscsm believes he has a state license to deal with this directly. Normally my personal stance is I pay for insurance to deal with this. If they can't I find another company.

I guess each situation is different. I recently got rear ended and as a result pushed into a car in front of me. I'm insured with Geico, but only have liability on it. I called Geico and they said I have to call the the insurance of the party that hit me and deal with them directly. Although they did say to contact them if I have trouble dealing with the other company.

I had all the information, police report, etc., called the other guys insurance company and filed a claim with them. Few days later a rep. called me and recorded my account of the accident. Once that was done I had to wait about a week, I guess for them to talk to other parties, but after that I was given a go ahead to choose a body shop and proceed with the repairs.

Originally Posted by dave1251
crazy2.gif

Normally^^^^this^^^^ is what you do. For some unknown reason aquariuscsm believes he has a state license to deal with this directly. Normally my personal stance is I pay for insurance to deal with this. If they can't I find another company.

Before you add an addendum to a thread please thoroughly read the entire thread and gather adequate data.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
[ They just don't have time. It is not a priority.
It is pretty common here in Silicon Valley.

To some degree, I'd say it goes by the size of the city. The larger it is, the less likely the police will respond to non-injury accidents. Same applies for petty thefts. Our garage was broken into and our lawnmower and weed trimmer was stolen. Called the police, they took my name and phone #, and an officer called later to take the information.

In Baltimore City, they won't show up, guaranteed.

Originally Posted by dishdude
That's how it works here, but people avoid contacting their own insurance because a claim can mean an increase in rates or dropped coverage.

That happens in Canada, too. Boneheaded drivers get penalised by insurance and the DMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back