Absolutely the Best Grease

Because they are made to be able to tolerate more severe use (if they are properly lubed after 4wd trail running) than just soccer mom duty. Sealed U-joints and slip-joints subjected to the same use will have a short life, if water, dirt, etc. get past the seals on the lubed-for-life components.

I know I replaced "sealed" u-joints back in my consumer car repair days, which had been contaminated by water, mud, etc. Friends still in the business have to periodically change them due to contamination too.

Any vehicle I would take on 4wd trails, I would far and away prefer to have lubeable components.
My Wrangler came from the factory with sealed u-joints.

Yes, and as I said, based on my experience both driving 4wd vehicles on trails, and working on vehicles professionally, I would prefer to have zerk fittings on any 4wd vehicle.
Certainly, especially in joints that are prone to water invasion, such as steering linkage and ball joints. Those are greasable on probably all 4x4 vehicles. It's the greasable driveshafts and axle shafts I don't get. Spicer sealed u-joints (factory on Jeep) don't generally leak the way a ball joint does. Otherwise they'd fail long before their 100k mile estimated lifespan, especially when submitted to the abuse they get in a typical Wrangler.

Certainly, especially in joints that are prone to water invasion, such as steering linkage and ball joints. Those are greasable on probably all 4x4 vehicles. It's the greasable driveshafts and axle shafts I don't get. Spicer sealed u-joints (factory on Jeep) don't generally leak the way a ball joint does. Otherwise they'd fail long before their 100k mile estimated lifespan, especially when submitted to the abuse they get in a typical Wrangler.

As I said, I've seen the "sealed" U-joints and slip-joints fail due to contamination. Which is why I consider Toyota's method of using zerk fittings in the U-joints and slip-joints in their propeller shafts (driveshafts) preferable.

The answer is Mobil SHC-100 grease.

When I worked for Mobil, we did extensive testing on various greases, which included scanning electron microscope evaluation of wear and corrosion. SHC-100 was engineered to be the best all around grease, and it did perform exceptionally well.

Because they are made to be able to tolerate more severe use (if they are properly lubed after 4wd trail running) than just soccer mom duty. Sealed U-joints and slip-joints subjected to the same use will have a short life, if water, dirt, etc. get past the seals on the lubed-for-life components.

I know I replaced "sealed" u-joints back in my consumer car repair days, which had been contaminated by water, mud, etc. Friends still in the business have to periodically change them due to contamination too.

Any vehicle I would take on 4wd trails, I would far and away prefer to have lubeable components.
Almost everything is greasable on my 05 Silverado. At 200k miles the front end is all original except for 3 ball joints.

That said, the u joints are also original and they are sealed. It's a land surveying truck and gets used hard sometimes.

Similar observation in a 2008 Chev 3/4 ton. 210,000 miles. Eleven greased fittings ( one more than 10). Replaced the outer tie rod ends a few years ago. Ball joints are original. Some pounding on backwoods logging roads with potholes, but not exclusively.
Used Mobil 1 Synthetic for about 6 years, then Motomaster Synthetic for another six. It’s true the Mobil 1 was drippy but my garage was not very hot as it is fully insulated and dry walled. The U joints are sealed and original. No clunks.

I guess Toyota just sources a lower quality u-joint than Chrysler and GM so they have to make up for it by adding grease zerks. 😏

I guess Toyota just sources a lower quality u-joint than Chrysler and GM so they have to make up for it by adding grease zerks. 😏
Wrong again.

A quality sealed u-joint is better than a cheap aftermarket greaseable u-joint. But a quality greaseable u-joint like Toyota uses, which is lubed properly, is still better for reliability and longevity, than a quality sealed u-joint.

Gm and Chrysler and anyone else using LFL components, are just going for cost savings, and betting that most owners will never drive their vehicles in harsh conditions that could cause contamination in the joint, and that the LFL parts will live long enough to outlast the warranty.

I own two FCA products by the way.

Almost everything is greasable on my 05 Silverado. At 200k miles the front end is all original except for 3 ball joints.

That said, the u joints are also original and they are sealed. It's a land surveying truck and gets used hard sometimes.
Let us know when it reaches really high miles. Such as a 3rd gen 4Runner which the last I heard had 800k on it's all-original drivetrain. Including the greaseable driveshafts.

Wrong again.

A quality sealed u-joint is better than a cheap aftermarket greaseable u-joint. But a quality greaseable u-joint like Toyota uses, which is lubed properly, is still better for reliability and longevity, than a quality sealed u-joint.

Gm and Chrysler and anyone else using LFL components, are just going for cost savings, and betting that most owners will never drive their vehicles in harsh conditions that could cause contamination in the joint, and that the LFL parts will live long enough to outlast the warranty.

I own two FCA products by the way.
You're honestly sitting there telling me that you believe firmly that a Jeep Wrangler is not designed for driving in harsh conditions, but a grocery getting 4Runner is? I'm not denying the off-roading capability of the 4Runner, but seriously, do you really think Wranglers aren't designed for the same severity of trail riding that 4Runners are? That's asinine. How many 4Runners do you see in grocery store parking lots or at soccer practice? And how many do you see in the deep woods? The simple fact is most 4Rrunners will be daily drivers. Not overland trekking vehicles. And yeah, probably a lot of Wranglers are daily drivers, too. But, if you'd go back and read my original post, that's not what any of this is even about.

All I said was I think it's stupid to put greasable u-joints on what will most likely be some mom's mode of transportation. And given the vast majority of them will be serviced at Jiffy Lube---where I was once told that, no, they didn't lube my front end because "no modern vehicles have greaseable suspension components nowadays"---making the 4Runner u-joints greaseable is irresponsible on Toyota's part. Again, please actually understand what I am saying. I am not saying that greasable components don't last longer than their LFL counterparts, but that the average 4Runner owner isn't maintaining them. It's a set-up for failure.

You're honestly sitting there telling me that you believe firmly that a Jeep Wrangler is not designed for driving in harsh conditions, but a grocery getting 4Runner is? I'm not denying the off-roading capability of the 4Runner, but seriously, do you really think Wranglers aren't designed for the same severity of trail riding that 4Runners are? That's asinine. How many 4Runners do you see in grocery store parking lots or at soccer practice? And how many do you see in the deep woods? The simple fact is most 4Rrunners will be daily drivers. Not overland trekking vehicles. And yeah, probably a lot of Wranglers are daily drivers, too. But, if you'd go back and read my original post, that's not what any of this is even about.

All I said was I think it's stupid to put greasable u-joints on what will most likely be some mom's mode of transportation. And given the vast majority of them will be serviced at Jiffy Lube---where I was once told that, no, they didn't lube my front end because "no modern vehicles have greaseable suspension components nowadays"---making the 4Runner u-joints greaseable is irresponsible on Toyota's part. Again, please actually understand what I am saying. I am not saying that greasable components don't last longer than their LFL counterparts, but that the average 4Runner owner isn't maintaining them. It's a set-up for failure.

I'm saying that FCA and others with LFL components, went the cheap route. Just good enough to hopefully last until the warranty is up.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm saying that FCA and others with LFL components, went the cheap route. Just good enough to hopefully last until the warranty is up.

Nothing more, nothing less.
I have to disagree with it being purely financial:

They're roughly the same price regardless if you get sealed or greasable. Granted, this is a retailer, so it's possible the FCA supplier gave them a discount for taking LFL u-joints. But since Wranglers (and probably at least the late CJs before them) have always---to the best of my knowledge---had LFL u-joints, I doubt it was a one-time agreement with Dana Spicer.

There's also marketing that likes to push the 'maintenance free' angle. But since the LFL parts will statistically fail sooner, the service department can charge to replace the often barely out of warranty parts.

Guaranteed future business for the REAL money maker at any Dealership, the Service Department...

But what do I know. I just worked at dealerships and independent shops as a master tech, and still have many friends in the business.

I know this isn't always the case but when I worked in the Pennzoil express lube I knew that all the Toyota's had greasable driveshafts and all the GM's had greasable front ends. Not to mention as soon as something gets older and had some replacement parts anything could be greasable including away bar links.

Owner of the vehicle should be sure they're going somewhere they can trust for maintenance.

Let us know when it reaches really high miles. Such as a 3rd gen 4Runner which the last I heard had 800k on it's all-original drivetrain. Including the greaseable driveshafts.
I don't expect either it or our Tacoma in the fleet to make it anywhere near that many miles on the originals. But I would expect longer out of the greasable parts for sure.

Back