AAA Conventional vs Synthetic Oil Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Link worked this morning until I started enquiring about it...

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products?searchterm=supa

Updated, it's export only.

I assume you're referring to the mineral (but hydrocracked Group II 10W30). Yes, someone is clearly thinking along the same lines as me.

Actually I was doing a bit more thinking in the bath about this 10W20 malarky. If the mix of Chevron 220R, ZDDP, Detergent & PPD had a KV100 of say 7.0 cst and a CCS-25 of 6100 cP (so meeting the very basic viscometric requirements of being a 0W20) then maybe the right thing to do would be to completely skip the addition of VII and forget about trying to meet the 2.6 min 150°C HTHS requirement.

You might then think about only using this oil either on an engine fitted with an oil/coolant heat exchanger or, more simply, is fitted with an oil temperature sensor which puts the engine in to limp-mode if the oil temperature hits say 140°C. That way, all you need to make sure is that the 10W20's HTHS at 140°C is 2.6 cP min (which I suspect it would be) and you're good to go! Simples...

Last edited:
not quite, as the oil can be 140°C in the big end bearing while the bulk oil is only 90°C. Hence why HTHS is measured at 150°C. And what would be the temperature around the compression rings in the top half of the stroke?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
not quite, as the oil can be 140°C in the big end bearing while the bulk oil is only 90°C. Hence why HTHS is measured at 150°C. And what would be the temperature around the compression rings in the top half of the stroke?

Jetronic,

Apologies for the late reply but I wanted to check on a few things before opening my mouth...

Okay, what you say is very much the same 'received wisdom' which I've heard many times before, from many people who have been in the business longer than me. However, like a lot of oil formulation received wisdom, I'm not sure it stands up to scrutiny.

The basic premise is that the actual oil temperature inside a bearing journal can be significantly higher than that of the bulk oil as frictional energy in the bearing is converted to heat. Because the oil gets hotter, it gets thinner, oil film thickness drops to zip, metal meets metal and bang goes your engine!

However the operative words for me are 'can do' which isn't necessarily the same as 'will do'. Yes, if you red line your engine (for the sake of argument say 7000 rpm), while pulling a boat up a hill (so max load) on the hottest day of the year, then, and only then, will you see risk a real problem and if the OEMs are to believed, then even under such extreme conditions, you will STILL be okay to run a 0W20 because 2.6 cP HTHS guarantees you protection.

Now imagine a different scenario where you drive your little Suzuki at 55 mph max to do the weekly 90 mile round trip to visit your grandson. The engine barely gets above 2500 rpm and you probably never exceed 30% of rated load. Finally, because you believe in global warming, mpg is of paramount importance and rapid acceleration is anathema to you. Now in this scenario, the differential temperature increase across the big-end bearings isn't such a big deal and you CAN use an ultra thin engine oil without destroying your engine.

I do have bits of data to back this up...

First off, I analysed the oil from my old Daihatsu after it's first service (at 9000 miles). The factory fill (I think) was a typical, high Moly, high VI, Japanese 0W20. The KV100 of the used oil was a mere 5.0 cst as a result of 8% fuel dilution. I didn't get the HTHS checked but at a guess, it was about 1.4 cP; way lower than what OEMs would consider acceptable. The thing was though that when I put the used oil through ICP, the wear metals were almost nonexistent. I gave that car away to my daughter after seven years of trouble free service. So where was all that bearing wear and why didn't the big-ends seize???

Here's another bit of info. I have no idea of the number of Sequence IIIF, Sequence IIIG and Peugeot TU5 engine tests I ran when I was in the formulating game but it was a lot. Now all of these tests deliberately keep the bulk oil temperature at 150°C and thrash the engine for upto, in the case of the IIIG, 100 hours continuous. So if you're going to see high differential bearing temperature rises and oil thinning knackering bearings, this is where it will show up. And it just doesn't. I never ever saw a engine fail on bearing failure (although they would fail on many other things, often stuff that was related to high Noack). Why not??

And finally there's my experience of the Sequence VIII test. This is the industry standard test for specifically looking at copper/lead journal bearing wear & corrosion. It's a fairly simple test on a single cylinder research engine which runs for 40 hours and over 3000 rpm. The oil is purposely kept at close to 150°C by an external oil heater. The thing is that I always found this test was always a complete doddle to pass!

Which is why my gut feel is that ultra thin oil is do-able for most ordinary driving. I agree it's potentially unsafe if you include ALL of the engine's design envelope (specifically the highest ambient/highest rpm/highest load condition) but if you're restricting oil viscocity for a condition that most vehicles will never see in their life time, is this really sensible? And if you do want to protect the engine in that most extreme of conditions, why would you not implement a simple oil temperature driven limp mode thing? Remember that ultra thin oils could deliver fuel economy & emissions benefits on a daily basis so why block them because of a condition that they might meet once in a life time and even when that condition hits, the evidence from industry standard test suggests won't actually be catastrophic?

Last edited:
Thing is, we regularly knackered big end bearings in low mileage diesel cars, where there's a good bit of fuel dilution to the short trips these cars make: they're company cars all driven by nurses going to elderly people to do what needs toi be done: 400 meters or so between clients, 20 clients in half a day... But these are tiny engines with only 75 bhp yet they suffer bearing failure. They start with C3 oils, changed every year, which can be as low as 2000 miles...

So what works for one engine, might not work for another...

A few comments...

First can you give me a hint as to who 'we' is. There aren't that many 1.0 L diesels out there so if I said the words 'tick tock' would I be in the right ball park? I don't specifically need to know but sometimes it helps when I'm talking to old colleagues.

Second, C3 oils are 3.5 min HTHS, relatively high ZDDP oils so bearing-wise, they should be very robust. Diesel fuel dilution can be a pig because it's far harder to drive off than gasoline fuel dilution. Any idea how low the oil's KV100 went?? Also might this fuel dilution be 'DPF driven' as opposed to 'short tripping' driven? Mazda had a DPF system which used to drain into the crackcase if the DPF didn't light off properly. I spoke to one poor guy whose Mazda 6 went from fresh oil change to an engine full of mixed oil & diesel, and limp mode in just 300 miles of motorway driving!

Third, it's probably no consolation but right from the start I was always vehemently against low SAPs oil and did my level best to keep my old outfit from paddling in that particular pool. It always struck me as an accident waiting to happen. I remember asking the people in Stuttgart why they were doing this as it didn't seem logical to me. Their response was because one particular AddCo was offering Low SAPs and it seemed a good idea!!

You probably can't or don't want to answer but was your bearing seizure due to wear or corrosion? My guess is it was the latter. Also never ever trust the 'new' additive chemistry than might go into low SAPs oil. People will smile and tell you it's safe but do they really know this as fact? I doubt it.

Finally, I was very specific about ultra thin oils only working for gasoline and not diesel. Diesel is far more tricky to formulate for because of all that potentially abrasive soot in the oil. Your experience just confirmed what I've always suspected.

Last edited:
I run the 10w-30 over the 5w-20 because I tend to put my foot in it and go blasting down the interstate at 80-85 MPH. That puts me around 2700 RPM for hours at a time, and I am of the opinion that the 30wt protects the engine a bit better in this situation.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
A few comments...

First can you give me a hint as to who 'we' is. There aren't that many 1.0 L diesels out there so if I said the words 'tick tock' would I be in the right ball park? I don't specifically need to know but sometimes it helps when I'm talking to old colleagues.

Second, C3 oils are 3.5 min HTHS, relatively high ZDDP oils so bearing-wise, they should be very robust. Diesel fuel dilution can be a pig because it's far harder to drive off than gasoline fuel dilution. Any idea how low the oil's KV100 went?? Also might this fuel dilution be 'DPF driven' as opposed to 'short tripping' driven? Mazda had a DPF system which used to drain into the crackcase if the DPF didn't light off properly. I spoke to one poor guy whose Mazda 6 went from fresh oil change to an engine full of mixed oil & diesel, and limp mode in just 300 miles of motorway driving!

Third, it's probably no consolation but right from the start I was always vehemently against low SAPs oil and did my level best to keep my old outfit from paddling in that particular pool. It always struck me as an accident waiting to happen. I remember asking the people in Stuttgart why they were doing this as it didn't seem logical to me. Their response was because one particular AddCo was offering Low SAPs and it seemed a good idea!!

You probably can't or don't want to answer but was your bearing seizure due to wear or corrosion? My guess is it was the latter. Also never ever trust the 'new' additive chemistry than might go into low SAPs oil. People will smile and tell you it's safe but do they really know this as fact? I doubt it.

Finally, I was very specific about ultra thin oils only working for gasoline and not diesel. Diesel is far more tricky to formulate for because of all that potentially abrasive soot in the oil. Your experience just confirmed what I've always suspected.

"We" = dealer technicians having to performe warranty work. It's a 1.1l 3 cylinder diesel engine.

the fuel buildup is a result of the DPF in combination of short tripping: the engine ecue measures a dpf regen is needed, and as soon as the coolant reaches 70°C tries to heat up the DPF by flooding the catalyst with unburned diesel fuel. This fuel gets into the exhaust by injecting the fuel into the cilinder during the exhaust stroke. some fuel invariably sticks to the cylinder wall and gets into the oil, but that's usually not an issue. But this very short tripping means the soot builds up rapidly (most soot is created during the warm-up of the engine) and also means the dpf doesn't get a chance to burn clean. In fact every time the engine hits 70°C the ecu starts another attempt.

Only after there are 5 consecutive incomplete tries, will a warning light appear and the driver informed that they should keep the engine running until the light goes out. Of course, the ladies are busy doing their tour and can't keep the engine running unattended, so at best they'll go for an extended drive after their shift. Pretty much all the fuel entering the crank case stays there, and it's not unusual to find the oil level has risen 20% by the time they come in for a service or repair. 20% fuel in the oil means much lower HTHS (barely 2.9 cP, I'd say), even less additive concentration and god knows what TBN. Soot isn't usually much of an issue, they do tend to drive hard to make it to all clients without unpaid overtime. This causes the EGR to be more closed than open and onluy very few cars get to 12,000 miles on the oil. those are the ones who use the car privately aswell and as such don't suffer DPF issues.

I've seen regen cycle averages as low as 50 miles. Turbos suffer aswell, I'll be changing one next week probably.

I can't answer if the bearing wear was due to corrosion, looked like wear to me. Would the big ends and main bearings not be equally sensitive to corrosion?

In my own car I don't use low SAPS oil, despite it being required. with a 0.95% saps level it's not ultra high anyway. But I want to avoid thinning out the concentration of additives below what is in a C3/C2 oil, aswell as the viscosity.

75% of cars sold here used to be diesels, and if petrol it's only the very small engines like your Kia had. Things are changing now as diesel fuel is getting more expensive due to taxation. We'll see what the future brings, but since more petrol cars come with turbos aswell I think HTHS might become more important again for petrol engines. 1.0 to 1.6 turbo GDI. A lot of the normally aspirated GDI engines have oil smelling like fuel, but beyond TBN depletion this doesn't seem to cause issues. They are of course also receiving C3 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I run the 10w-30 over the 5w-20 because I tend to put my foot in it and go blasting down the interstate at 80-85 MPH. That puts me around 2700 RPM for hours at a time, and I am of the opinion that the 30wt protects the engine a bit better in this situation.

to be fair, that's probably the least taxing regarding viscosity that you can get, but the 10W-30 is a good choice for other reasons.

Okay, thanks for sharing this stuff. It's extremely interesting.

First, would I be right in thinking we are taking about the Kia 1.1 CRDI here? (I did originally think it was the tiny diesel in the Smart Car you were talking about).

Second, I think what you're saying is that on this occasion, the C3 oil, as such, ISN'T causing this specific bearing seizure problem. The way I see it, this problem, like the one on the Mazda, is resulting from a combination of flawed DPF regen logic and short tripping. Diesel is getting dumped in the oil and seriously diluting it. It's not just a question of reduced KV100 or additive dilution here. Modern sulphur-free Diesel fuel has extremely poor inate lubricity (think 'slipperiness') and makes for a rubbish lubricant. I did wonder whether a combination of bio-diesel and low TBN might be causing bearing corrosion but now I think it's simply a basic lack of lubrication.

I do also think it's significant that the bearing problems are happening on a diesel engine because if I'm right (hopefully Shannow will confirm) then the force loadings acting on the big-end bearings are so much greater than what you see on an equivalent gasoline engine.

If you're talking about the car parc being 75% Diesel then I'm assuming we're talking about somewhere in continental Europe where Diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. I think here in the UK, the most Diesel got upto was a 50% share because here Diesel is marginally more expensive than gasoline. Given recent events and the seriousness with which the medical authorities are taking the threat of ground level NOx in big cities, I expect there will be big switch back to gasoline. It maybe this forces the pace on ultra thin engine oils in Europe because people coming from Diesel engines will expect the same fuel economy.

Interestingly, I did think about getting a diesel Kia Rio when I got bought the Picanto. After hearing your story, I'm glad I didn't. TBH, I also regret getting the Picanto. I did try very hard to like it but it always felt like a backward step after the Daihatsu Sirion despite the Picanto being the more modern car. Fuel economy was never as good and was tracking downwards after a couple of years to barely scrape 55 mpg. That's when I found the new Suzuki Celerio, initially for the wife. Talk about chalk and cheese! I can't praise the Suzuki highly enough. Now summer is here, I'm regularly getting 75 mpg. The Suzuki fair flies up hills in 5th whereas the Picanto would struggle. It's quieter, smoother, more roomy...I could go on and on (sorry).

to be fair, that's probably the least taxing regarding viscosity that you can get, but the 10W-30 is a good choice for other reasons.

Do tell. I would think that the extended higher rpm would make a higher oil temp.

I like 10w-30 for less VII and lower noack

Do tell. I would think that the extended higher rpm would make a higher oil temp.

I like 10w-30 for less VII and lower noack

Yes, but 2700 RPM is not higher RPM. You're right at the point where the bearing speed is high and you get a nice oil film thickness, and not quite high enough (think 5000+ RPM) for the inertia of the piston assemblies to break through the oil film when the piston direction reverses. The load from combustion is also nice and low, the throttle is fairly closed.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
"The system forces US oils to be far more volatile than they need to be".
Sonofjoe, is that a result of 0W & 5W winter grades attached to OEM approved engine oil for ambient -40C to 50C?
If so, chasing VI and one grade for all climate conditions is incorrect.

The main reason for this is the crazy way ILSAC has organised it's fuel economy tests. If memory serves, a US 5W30 has to have demonstrably better fuel economy than a 5W30 reference oil. Yes, you read it right. It says something must be better than itself!! No doubt this particular piece of madness was done in the name of 'simulating innovation'. The reality is that most US 5W30s have simply been formulated such that they are halfway to being 0W30s (by dropping the CCS, you drop the KV between 0 and 100°C which translates to a fuel economy credit).

For any base oil group, to drop the CCS, you need to lighten the base oil mix making the oil more volatile. If you lighten the base oil mix, you need to add more VII polymer, If you add more VII, you need to lighten the base oil mix a bit more. As often as not, if you add more VII, you need to add a bit more Ashless Dispersant to maintain piston cleanliness. Ashless kills your CCS so you need to lighten up the base oil mix again and the cycle keeps going round and round until you reach equilibrium, but what you always end up with is a oil that is far more volatile than it needs to be.

It's probably also worth mentioning that once you take that first misguided step to say a 5W30 must be better than a 5W30, the impact cascades to all of the other grades, both heavier and lighter.

Thanks for sharing your insight. Pennzoil sn rated sae 30 has pour point of -30c. How is that acheived for an sae 30 ? The viscosity index is close to 105 i think.

+1
Surprisingly my expedition is about 2k rpm at 80mph.
I thought it did be around 2500 rpm but i am not complaining
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Thanks for sharing your insight. Pennzoil sn rated sae 30 has pour point of -30c. How is that acheived for an sae 30 ? The viscosity index is close to 105 i think.

Why not?

How does pour point relate to operational performance of a formulated motor oil again? I've run the test many times, I never really understood the correlation.

Kschachn i thought you were busy convincing the oil industry and academia to drop noack testing.
You are back quite soon. What happened ?

I really was asking sonofjoe who explains and shares information very well and in a manner that other bitog members should strive for !

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Kschachn i thought you were busy convincing the oil industry and academia to drop noack testing.
You are back quite soon. What happened ?

I really was asking sonofjoe who explains and shares information very well and in a manner that other bitog members should strive for !

No, I'm not because I'm not some sort of conspiracy nut.

And sorry for interrupting your conversation, I didn't know I was banned from this thread.

My question is valid however. Just because a test is performed and results reported doesn't mean it has a direct or valid correlation to operational use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back