A solution to Direct Injection carbon issues?

I'm assuming as most DI engines are turbocharged that this would have to 'inject' pre-turbo? Or I imagine the boost pressure would start breaking things?
+1 Take into account forced induction gasoline engines like diesels do not create a vacuum and use external pumps kind of eliminates this thing right off the hop.

I think the only way it would potentially keep the back sides of the valves clean is if it was used from day one on the vehicle. Even so, with the design of the intake manifolds, there's no way it's going to get evenly dispersed to each cylinder.

Given the fact of what it takes to blast the cooked on crap off of the valves once it's built up, I don't see this doing anything but shortening the life of your catalytic converters.
With the movement of the valves and the heat I think the appropriate chemical would do it. It would probably take a while but that's what you'd want, slow removal as the build-up dissolves, not big chunks coming off.
Look at oven cleaner, try and scrap the burnt on gunk off and it's not happening, soak it with oven cleaner and it wipes off. TCW-3, if allowed to soak, will let you wipe the carbon build-up off a piston with a rag.

I'm assuming as most DI engines are turbocharged that this would have to 'inject' pre-turbo? Or I imagine the boost pressure would start breaking things?

Methanol/water injection is sometimes used by tuners who are trying to add more power to their turbocharged engines. The injector is mounted at the intake. BMW even provided this system on the F8x M4 GTS.

Here's an example of an aftermarket solution for the BMW N55 engine.

Methanol/water injection is sometimes used by tuners who are trying to add more power to their turbocharged engines. The injector is mounted at the intake. BMW even provided this system on the F8x M4 GTS.

Here's an example of an aftermarket solution for the BMW N55 engine.

Water Meth injection doesn't do anything for intake valve buildup. Its magic happens in the combustion chamber.

VW/Audi is solving this problem by injecting a small amount of fuel into the intake ports to "wash" the intake valves. The vast majority of the fuel is direct injected.

VW/Audi is solving this problem by injecting a small amount of fuel into the intake ports to "wash" the intake valves. The vast majority of the fuel is direct injected.
Have they brought that technology to the US? Last I read (2 yrs ago) was that they hadn't because it would make their vehicles less competitive cost wise for the economy segment.

I used this product recently and it seems to have improved things in my 2014 Focus With GDI.
I wasn't feeling any issues prior to using this product but I felt that I might as well do some IV cleaning for the first time as my Focus approached 60K. The car did idle smoother and seemed to run better afterwards. When I purchased this STP product last year it was $29.99 at AZ 'on sale' from $39.99....now it's $29.99 everyday price.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way, shape, or form. But seems like it could help with many carbon and LSPI issues of the Direct Injection engines. I may be overlooking something though, so feel free to post your opinions and facts on whether this is a good/bad idea and why.

From their website:

Expect These Benefits​

-Increase in fuel economy by reducing friction
-Reduced valve-to-seat wear
-Eliminate sticking valves; quieter valve train
-Removal of carbon deposits which cause pre-ignition
-Protection of valve stems, guides, seats, rings, and cylinder bores
-Increased compression, power, efficiency and engine life!View attachment 74842View attachment 74843View attachment 74844
Aren't we told that oil in the combustion chamber is what supposedly causes LSPI ?

Have they brought that technology to the US? Last I read (2 yrs ago) was that they hadn't because it would make their vehicles less competitive cost wise for the economy segment.

If done right, the main advantage is supposed to be in performance and not just cleaning the intake valves.

Toyota has had it for a while, and there seem to be a special cleaning mode call D-4S. That's already gone in to a variety of luxury cars and the Tacoma pickup.

The FR-S/BRZ/86 supposedly has both direct and port injectors.

Aren't we told that oil in the combustion chamber is what supposedly causes LSPI ?

Not necessarily oil, but oil deposits and/or components in the oil that may spontaneously explode.

I used this product recently and it seems to have improved things in my 2014 Focus With GDI.
I wasn't feeling any issues prior to using this product but I felt that I might as well do some IV cleaning for the first time as my Focus approached 60K. The car did idle smoother and seemed to run better afterwards. When I purchased this STP product last year it was $29.99 at AZ 'on sale' from $39.99....now it's $29.99 everyday price.

Do you run that at 3x idle speed for the full 9 minutes??

You mean Motor Oil that gets caked on the valves and intake ports? Yes. But something like Marvel Mystery Oil (consisting of naphthalene and all other "cleaning" goodies) or any other Fuel Additive will keep the intake valves clean by breaking down that carbon on the valves and acting like "port-injection". With constant application that is.

It's much more than just "a small amount of fuel". Actually it's a significant amount
as the engine is running MPI only at lower loads at low to mid revs and that's where
very most daily driving happens. Blue is MPI, green and red are FSI modes.

EA888 3G FSI MPI.jpg

source: Audi SSP606 (EA888 3G)

other builders have been doing the DI/PI thing for a while now

You mean Motor Oil that gets caked on the valves and intake ports? Yes. But something like Marvel Mystery Oil (consisting of naphthalene and all other "cleaning" goodies) or any other Fuel Additive will keep the intake valves clean by breaking down that carbon on the valves and acting like "port-injection". With constant application that is.
No. LSPI is caused by liquid oil inside the combustion chamber. MMO is not going to do anything and frankly I wish MMO was a banned topic. People attribute all sorts of things to MMO when it does nothing.

Back