A Newer BMW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not questioning the MS3. I was referring to the regular 3 which felt gutless and not really handling that well either, although being smaller and lighter did make it feel more tossable.

Having owned a couple of BMW's, I do not think that they, BMW, make a new car that I would want to own, long term. A lease would be the only way that I would do a new, present day BMW four door. My son's own Honda's and Toyota's, an Accord Sport and an 86. Only routine maintenance. My E90, on the other hand, that I would drive from MA to WA every summer to visit my other son, + drove from MA to AK, has never left me stranded. But has required a lot to keep going, including lots of gaskets, A/C compressor, HVAC blower motor, shocks, suspension bushings, and a few other things. It sounds like, from your requirements, that you do not want a new BMW. If the body is sound on yours, and you can do some wrenching, keep what you have. If not, then the Accord Sport 6M, or a new Mazda 3/6 may be the best you can do for long term ownership. But no RWD. IMHO, Mazda is the alternative to having an affordable driver's car. If only they made an affordable RWD sedan with a manual trans. By the way, Victoria/BC is a beautiful place.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
As much as I'd like an M240i it's not going to tick another box that I hadn't thought of earlier. We have friends from all over the country and get a lot of visitors. [We live in greater Victoria - for Canadians that's enough said!] We often pick up those visitors at the airport or at the ferry. An M240i isn't going to carry 4 adults with too much luggage. Our current Honda Accord can do that easily but when it gets old (+/- 5 years) I plan to replace it with a small electric vehicle for local use. We do intend to keep 2 vehicles, but there's no room in the garage for 3.

I question whether a 440i could tick the airport duty box either. And being a coupe, might not be easy for "olders" to get into the back. I'm going to have to check it out. I suppose we could take 2 cars for all pick ups but that's a bit inconvenient.

How many times a year might you need that extra space though? If it's only a handful of times, why saddle yourself with a larger car than you would usually need? During those airport pickups you could always rent a vehicle. I will be in a similar situation in 3 years when I retire and start going to Florida every winter. I plan on taking the Corvette, which is the perfect size for just my wife and I, but during those occasions when our kids might want to visit us down there, and we need to pick them up from the airport, the Corvette definitely won't work. But I figure for the few times a year that might happen, I can easily rent a larger vehicle to pick them up at the airport.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Not questioning the MS3. I was referring to the regular 3 which felt gutless and not really handling that well either, although being smaller and lighter did make it feel more tossable.

This was my impression from the Mazda 3. The previous generation Jetta with the 1.8T seemed like a more enjoyable car.

Originally Posted by I_4
Having owned a couple of BMW's, I do not think that they, BMW, make a new car that I would want to own, long term. A lease would be the only way that I would do a new, present day BMW four door. My son's own Honda's and Toyota's, an Accord Sport and an 86. Only routine maintenance. My E90, on the other hand, that I would drive from MA to WA every summer to visit my other son, + drove from MA to AK, has never left me stranded. But has required a lot to keep going, including lots of gaskets, A/C compressor, HVAC blower motor, shocks, suspension bushings, and a few other things. It sounds like, from your requirements, that you do not want a new BMW. If the body is sound on yours, and you can do some wrenching, keep what you have. If not, then the Accord Sport 6M, or a new Mazda 3/6 may be the best you can do for long term ownership. But no RWD. IMHO, Mazda is the alternative to having an affordable driver's car. If only they made an affordable RWD sedan with a manual trans. By the way, Victoria/BC is a beautiful place.

Thanks for the comments. Victoria is indeed a beautiful place.

I think I'll keep my old 528i. It ticks all the boxes and has been pretty reliable thus far. It has only 160,000 Km (100,000 miles), runs great and everything on it works.

It has a bit of surface rust and I'll try and stop that with POR 15. If that works out I'll get those panels repainted. I've used POR 15 before with very good results.

We had an interesting experience yesterday. We just had to go and have a look at a (unnamed brand of) car. The young sales guy who seemed to know a lot about cars raved about my BMW and strongly advised me to keep it. It is still a beauty even though it's carrying a bit of rust.

The BMW may become my long term hobby car. It's even great for picking up folks at the airport.

I'll also keep the Honda and use it for long trips. If Honda stops making MT Accords I'll buy one at the end of the line. As they last at least 15 years in my hands, it may be my last long distance car.

I'd say take a long look at a Golf R. The front wheel drive Golf/GTI or Accord Sport what have yous will always leave you wanting one thing. RWD or AWD performance. Front wheel drive just isn't as fun. I really like my Golf Sportwagen but i might end up selling it someday to get something RWD/AWD.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Patman
They are gouging you then, because even fully loaded 2019 convertibles here are listed for just over $70k. It would be cheaper to find the one you want here in Ontario and have it shipped there for probably not much more than $1500.

I expect that could have been the out the door price (though I didn't ask specifically). This was by way of a preliminary discussion. It's possible they're gouging, or he might have made a mistake - talking without looking.

In years past, cars seemed to be a bit cheaper in Ontario just not enough to warrant most people going there to get one. And that may have only applied to locally built cars, where a local pick up could save on freight.

As much as I'd like an M240i it's not going to tick another box that I hadn't thought of earlier. We have friends from all over the country and get a lot of visitors. [We live in greater Victoria - for Canadians that's enough said!] We often pick up those visitors at the airport or at the ferry. An M240i isn't going to carry 4 adults with too much luggage. Our current Honda Accord can do that easily but when it gets old (+/- 5 years) I plan to replace it with a small electric vehicle for local use. We do intend to keep 2 vehicles, but there's no room in the garage for 3.

I question whether a 440i could tick the airport duty box either. And being a coupe, might not be easy for "olders" to get into the back. I'm going to have to check it out. I suppose we could take 2 cars for all pick ups but that's a bit inconvenient.

So: no recent 3s (all automatics), no recent 5s (all automatics). And a 7 is too big and too expensive.

As I started off saying, maybe BMW doesn't make a car for me anymore. And if I were to give up on the requirement for a manual transmission, all sorts of vehicles would come into focus (Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, Lexus, Mazda 6, even Buick Regal). Or I could stick with the requirement for a (1) reliable engine with a dipstick, (2) manual transmission, and (3) spare tire and get serious about a 2018/19 Honda Accord Sport or a 2019 Mazda 3.

I chose the 4 series over the 2 series simply because of trunk space and the size of the trunk opening. If you intend on putting passengers in the back then I would look at the 4 series grande coupe (4 dr).

Don't get base your decision on whether or not the engine has a dipstick, unless you refuse to use anything but a topsider to remove engine oil.

Originally Posted by dareo
I'd say take a long look at a Golf R. The front wheel drive Golf/GTI or Accord Sport what have yous will always leave you wanting one thing. RWD or AWD performance. Front wheel drive just isn't as fun. I really like my Golf Sportwagen but i might end up selling it someday to get something RWD/AWD.

Golf R is really, really good car. It offers performance, although not on par with Subaru Sti, but quality is like 10 light years ahead.
It is pretty fast little thing, but have a feeling of driving almost luxury car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back