Which station wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Volvo.

Very reliable 5 cyl (turbo). Best use of storage space. Sporty (for a box) and in my book, the best looking.

+1
Friend of mine just purchased a White 2006 V70 - good looking car
thumbsup2.gif

Acura made a very nice wagon which was discontinued a few years ago because no one bought them. That would be my pick for a used station wagon.

The 5-series estate is a great looking wagon:
1359e20e1fa77c431fe228e6df1f1e22.jpg

The 4.0L V8 in the 540i would be fun to drive, but offers more in the way of headaches. A 530i would be more sensible, but as with any E39, there are maintenance items that one needs to be cognizant of, which, based on much of what you've said, may be a deal breaker.

So barring that, a Magnum with the 5.7L would be a good choice if you don't mind the gas mileage. Generally, they are pretty reliable, albeit nowhere near as nice inside as the bimmer.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Acura made a very nice wagon which was discontinued a few years ago because no one bought them. That would be my pick for a used station wagon.

That was the TSX. You're right, that was a nice wagon.

Agreed!
Good looking and far more reliable than anything listed so far.

Link?

Originally Posted By: pacem
Originally Posted By: BigD1
93 Volvo 240 DL wagon, and that year model would be the most desirable because it was the last year it was manufactured. Plenty of parts still available sourced here in the USA, and in Europe as well. Not lots of power, but get reasonable gas mileage. Red block engines are top notch.

I am aware of the 240DL "Brick" - no thank you. The newest one is 25 years old and finding one with low miles / great shape - here on the east coast has to be downright impossible.

20 years ago maybe...

"I would only be interested in up to '93 "

Thought you were looking for older wagons per your post, so that's why I mentioned the 240 Volvo. Would be hard to find any wagon with low miles from the early 90"S vintage unless you are extremely lucky.

I would rather get a non-wagon Ford Crown Vic that's 10-15 years newer....

Me too. The Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Big V8 Caddy and Lincolns of the 1990's to 2000's have huge trunks and big back seats. Last wagon I had was in 1990 was an Oldsmobile.

sWEIq1S.jpg

ZVsUluH.jpg

Sweet car. I never noticed them until recently when it was too late to buy one. I really wish Honda made an Accord Sport Wagon.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I would rather get a non-wagon Ford Crown Vic that's 10-15 years newer....

Me too. The Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Big V8 Caddy and Lincolns of the 1990's to 2000's have huge trunks and big back seats. Last wagon I had was in 1990 was an Oldsmobile.

No.

For one, the back seat of a Crown Vic is not that big. In fact, the back seat of my wifes midsize Malibu is quite a bit roomier.

Also, while the Crown Vic trunk is a large space in volume, it's no where near as usable or friendly as a wagon...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The 5-series estate is a great looking wagon:
1359e20e1fa77c431fe228e6df1f1e22.jpg

The 4.0L V8 in the 540i would be fun to drive, but offers more in the way of headaches. A 530i would be more sensible, but as with any E39, there are maintenance items that one needs to be cognizant of, which, based on much of what you've said, may be a deal breaker.

So barring that, a Magnum with the 5.7L would be a good choice if you don't mind the gas mileage. Generally, they are pretty reliable, albeit nowhere near as nice inside as the bimmer.

I've had a 1999 528i wagon, not sure I want to go down that road again. It was not a happy experience.

First, the entire front end had to be overhauled at about 110K miles. It's made of aluminum for weight savings but junk. I've never seen any other car that needed it. Usually you wait until about 180K maybe. That was substandard.

Then it had that weird issue with the engine, something or other hand to be replaced in it. Their version of the EGR valve. Even simple things like replacing the spark plugs were not simple at all, you had to take that thing off the top first. It has been 6 years so I longer remember.
The oil filter was not just twisted by hand but you needed a special socket. I had 1000 and 1 sockets and wrenches but not that one.

Radiator had to be replaced, and another not a DIY job, I didn't know how. Needed that special wrench again. etc. etc. etc. It's the BMW way, I got the gist let's take a simple thing and complicate it as much as possible.

constant electrical problems, something signaling the tailgate is open while it's closed, the battery in the trunk not in the engine bay...

all in all the quality was not higher than that of a 1980s Ford Taurus.

I don't rhyme with the BMW way..

Originally Posted By: BigD1
pacem said:
BigD1 said:
Thought you were looking for older wagons per your post, so that's why I mentioned the 240 Volvo. Would be hard to find any wagon with low miles from the early 90"S vintage unless you are extremely lucky.

Older like 2007-2009 maybe 2010 time frame.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Honda Accord or Toyota Camry..not too sporty but as reliable as a hammer.

I still see them around Berkeley - and I knew a kid in grade school whose parents had one. Toyota and Honda didn't offer one in a high-zoot package(EX or XLE), but they seemed nicer than their Volvo counterparts - the Japanese hit it out of the park in the 1990s.

Hondas of that era were known to be the poor man's BMW when it came to handling - the Civic and Accord of that era had double-wishbone front suspension, the V6 Camry of the 1990s weren't slouches either.

Subaru is the only one who does what they do. Their higher maintenance needs are a detractor, but I, personally, would accept that responsibility for what they offer. However, I'm a mechanic so the proposition of maintaining a higher-maintenance vehicle is cheaper for me than most - just parts cost and a little time.

I've never driven a Passat wagon, but have driven an'03 1.8T/auto and like it a lot. The wagon's extra weight might slow the 1.8 down, but I liked the sedan a lot and AFAIK they aren't particularly troublesome.

Well, I'm going to throw this out there. It's sorta' "station wagon, sorta' "SUV/CUV...TOYOTA VENZA!
Toyota made them for a number of years and the PRESS never seemed to be able categorize it nor did they fall in love with it. However, I personally know at least 7 people/family's that own VENZA's and just love'em. Very reliable even if they're not up to typical TOYOTA quality.

I'll propose/advocate the Volvo wagon. Great combination of utility, luxury, and safety.

My T5 wagon has 247HP, it's quicker than a lot of sports cars, and it corners like a beast with Bilstein shocks, IPD sway bars and a rebuilt suspension. It stops extremely well - 12" slotted rotors, which I've retrofitted to the XC as well. I get 27 MPG Highway. Have heated seats, headlamp washers, and a sunroof. It does well at hauling things from Home Depot and it'll seat 7 if two of them are kids under 45 KG. You can't beat a Volvo wagon. My wife's XC has 218,000 miles on it, and while it has "only" 190 HP, it does have AWD, which is quite useful in some situations. It also has the heated seats,

Now, finding a good example in your price range presents a challenge. The P2 chassis is a good car. 2001-2007 Wagons come in several flavors: Normally aspirated (168HP), 2.4T (low pressure 190 HP turbo) and T5 (high pressure 247 HP turbo) and the AWD XC (with the LPT engine). 2005 saw an update - new trim and slightly more powerful engines: a 2.5T with 208 HP in the 2.5T and AWD XC.

They suffer from neglect. Volvo owners tend not to be car people. So, look for sludge in the engine, oil leaks (caused by a plugged PCV system, which can only be fixed by replacing about $300 in parts, labor extra), a fried angle gear (in the AWD version, caused by neglected fluid), and clunks in the suspension (front LCA bushings go quickly, so do strut mounts).

More discussion on the peculiarities of Volvo wagons here: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?27070-So-you-want-to-buy-a-used-P2-XC70-(01-07)-Some-tips

But, and I want you to consider this, Volvos don't rust like other cars. I bought our Volvos 10 years ago. For about $12K each. 10 years later, they're still providing reliable daily service, getting good MPG, hauling around hobby supplies, dogs and home repair items and keeping us safe while still providing an enjoyable, in some cases, sporty, ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back