A longer filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, with all of the talk about increasing oil capacity, etc. I was wondering if it would be worth it on my subaru wrx. The stock system is spec'd for 5 quarts, including the filter. I have used both the Purolator pl14459 and the 14460 in the past with success. The only difference is that the 14460 is a Subaru specific filter, and uses more of the threads on the filter mount point on the car.

I have all the room in the world below the filter. The filter could be a foot long and not hit anything. I am wondering if there is a longer filter out there comparable to the "Honda" 14459 or the Subaru 14460 filter that would enable maybe an extra 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil to be added. Any ideas? BTW, the 14460 does not have an anti-drainback valve, as the filter hangs straight down. Thanks!!

Checked on the Baldwin Filter site, as they tend to list "related" filters to the one yr looking up, but didn't find any longer/bigger versions.

However, I did find that the Baldwin B301 equivalent to the (P)L14460 has an 8 PSI bypass relief valve, whereas the B421 and B227 equivalents to (P)L14459 have a 14 or 20 PSI (respectively) bypass relief differential.

In other words, the latter (non-Subaru-specific) filters will have to restrict flow a LOT more severely before they start to bypass unfiltered oil to bleed off backpressure, so they could be starving your sophisticated WRX engine of oil when cold or if the filter gets severely clogged. You might think delaying bypass (w/ this higher bypass PSI) would be better, but IMHO having a bit of unfiltered oil temporarily in the mix is preferable to having insufficient oil, clean or not.

-Tye

Tyson,

I checked the site, and found a filter with the same specs as the subaru specific filter, only longer. I found the B168:

Microlite full flow spin on
anti drainback valve 8psi
M20 X 1.5 thread
3 inch o.d.
5 3/32 long

made for john deere and tackeuchi engines.

I wonder if this filter media would be the same density and quality as the B301, which my car takes. I did additional research, and in late 2003, Subaru began specing the A080 filter for the WRX, as a small manufacturing change to the exhaust put the A060, or 14460 too close to the exhaust manifold. I have an early 2003, so I am still to use the A060 version, which is 3" in diameter. It seems that going from the stock legnth of 2 27/32 to 5 3/32 would give me an extra 1/4 to 1/3 quart capacity. I looked at the picture for the B199, and it seems that the gasket is too far to the outside of the filter to seat properly. The B168's gasket looks like it is in the right place. What do you think?

[ October 27, 2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Bailey28 ]

quote:

In other words, the latter (non-Subaru-specific) filters will have to restrict flow a LOT more severely before they start to bypass unfiltered oil to bleed off backpressure, so they could be starving your sophisticated WRX engine of oil when cold or if the filter gets severely clogged.

Errrr ..not exactly. Unless the oil pump relief springs are opening (note this qualification*) ...every filter, whether it has a highly restrictive media and a slammed dead bypass setting (28 psi for example) or a 2" hole in it, sees 100% of the volume from the oil pump.

A "high flow" filter is, in reality, a "low resistance" filter. The flow remains unchanged* The bypass setting merely determines the max pressure dissapated over the filter in in-line resistance.

So except for cold start up, where you don't "see" that actual pressure until it reaches the sender/sensor, ...the same oil flow* is there always.

Bailey, the Purolator 24458 is a great direct fit replacement, many here on this board substitute the 24458 for the 14459. However, if you want something even longer, I've been using the 20195. DO NOT USE THE 20195 WITHOUT this special 'adaptor', see here how I did it. The 20195 is HUGE compared to the 14459/14460. I've been using it on my Impreza since March.

Dave

Thanks N8, I will try the 24458. On a side note, I went to the Cat ring power in Gainesville fL and the guy said that the did not and would not stock the Baldwin B168 filter. He gave me no alternative to that filter, I will check on Baldwin's site to cross reference, but it might just be the 24458 Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back