A 50 Cent Washer Cost Me An Oil Change

Its also a great argument for a topside changer - the drain bolt wouldnt have come out to begin with.

if he had one around he could have just sucked the oil out and poured it back in.

One question, did you try tightening the plug again, just torque it another 1/8th turn? I have never replaced those washers and to this day, have never had an issue with leaks. I suppose one could argue if the drain plug hole was tapped at an angle that could cause a leak.
Secondly.....why toss the oil at 1000 miles and especially why toss a perfectly good oil filter?

There was no tightening the old plug/washer. I tried, but any harder would have resulted in damage.

I knew I was gonna get flak for dumping 1k oil, but I had no "clean" pan. Yeah I could have used my extractor, but the last fluid in there was transmission fluid. Wasn't spending the time to get it completely clean. Oil didn't go to waste, local farmer got it for their equipment.

I reuse crusher warshers 2 or 3 times max.
I keep a bunch of Honda, Toyletta and Nissan warshers as well as a few other odd sizes.

I would not have reused that oil.
And that vacuum trick is neato burrito!

It's a lesson learned. I bought a bunch of crush washers from Honda when i worked in Cleveland back in 1999. Switched to a fumoto drain valve so I still have a bunch of vintage crush washers.

Many shops charge you for the drain washer and don't change it. On the civic I found if I torqued the drain pan bolt to 21 ft lbs, I could use the washer twice, I could flip it over and use the non crushed side for the second oil change. I know it was being cheap, but it can be done.

Jeep cherokees have the rubber built into the plug for sealing..
My wife's Fusion's original drain plug had a washer "built in" but came loose and was lost at some point. It would leak slightly before I realized it was missing. Once I realized this, at the next oil change, I just started using the Honda aluminum crush washers we have.
On the civic I found if I torqued the drain pan bolt to 21 ft lbs, I could use the washer twice, I could flip it over and use the non crushed side for the second oil change. I know it was being cheap, but it can be done.
I've done that forever with our Hondas. If I don't remember if it's been flipped and re-used previously, I just replace it.

Reactions: JC1
I knew I was gonna get flak for dumping 1k oil
For future posts, just leave out any "controversial" aspects of scenarios like this. You even mentioned this in your OP and people still had to spout off their opinion about it.... :oops:

Back