a '17 Accord CVT's issue

Have you checked the fluid level via the drip method? Can't hurt...
I don't think its fluid anymore

I have my theory: my car comes with the first drivers assistance generation. It flashes out of nowhere quiet often and that put additional stress on my CVT, the car wants to sudden stop quiet often in the city traffic

I'm saying that because on my '16 CRV its the same transmission, no problems; it does not come with the driving sensors and camera

With this outcome, I'd take a WAG and have the battery checked.
If it is intermittent, I'd guess electrical.
The battery is an easy place to start.
Seems easy enough to check. I think my '03 CRV likes to deliberately undercharge, and in cold temps it likes to set the battery light (shoot, I should have to topped the battery off today, will have to remember to do so tomorrow).

I don't think its fluid anymore

I have my theory: my car comes with the first drivers assistance generation. It flashes out of nowhere quiet often and that put additional stress on my CVT, the car wants to sudden stop quiet often in the city traffic

I'm saying that because on my '16 CRV its the same transmission, no problems; it does not come with the driving sensors and camera

Could you turn that drivers assistance off ?

Like with a VDC on off button ?

I'd do that... if it has a VDC type on off button.

so they took the car this morning

IMG_3128.jpeg

the representative he suggested exchange the CVT fluid completely, then you'll get the car back to drive; if the code comes back, bring in again and they'll run diagnoses on it;

Transmission fluid exchange is $315 and the cost of diagnoses $165

I was like it does not sound bad; so he told me there have two other Hondas on the lot with the same error message like mine, and they are overdue for fluid change

so its pending...

Check what the actual CCA of the battery is with one of the more modern battery testers. If it still has the original battery in it and it's a 2017 there's a high likelihood that it's the battery. Honda do too stupid stuff whenever the battery is going bad. Also whenever you replace the battery clean the terminals very well with Scotch-Brite red or as some hardware stores call it plastic steel wool. The metal abrasive brushes that are sold to clean battery posts and battery terminals are too aggressive and remove too much material resulting in loose connections. You can clean them up really nice with red Scotch-Brite. Also remove where the ground wire mounts to the chassis and scrape away the paint and clean up the lug on the side that mounts to the chassis. Spray some kind of electric corrosion resistant spray on that connection before putting it back together. Use a 1/8 inch blade screwdriver to scrape away the paint below where the ground lug mounts to the chassis. I think it's really dumb that Honda connects ground lugs to painted surfaces and relies on the bolt and the threads of the chassis connection to make the ground electrical connection.

Last edited:

View attachment 133201

the representative he suggested exchange the CVT fluid completely, then you'll get the car back to drive; if the code comes back, bring in again and they'll run diagnoses on it;

I was like it does not sound bad; so he told me there have two other Hondas on the lot with the same error message like mine, and they are overdue for fluid change

so its pending...

Typical dealership service department.

“Let’s sell you something you really don’t need. Then we’ll try and fix the real problem later. After all, we invested in a tranny fluid exchange machine and the boss wants to see it used.”

Had you not performed two appropriate drain and fills, I would say maybe to a full fluid exchange.

However, if I were in the same situation, I’d push hard for the diagnostic check to determine what the problem really is.

Good luck.

View attachment 133201

so its pending...

That is really a lot of money for a fluid change, especially on that is a simple drain and fill. If they want to do a complete fluid exchange, I’m not sure that is a Honda-recommended procedure. This isn’t very helpful advice, I guess, but my antenna would be up with this dealer.

so thats my car in a nut shell; all those check marks at red, i already took care of it; it is preventive maintnance to me

IMG_3139.jpeg

so i got my car back; of corse i ran there to get it back once off the phone!

so in the end, after some their nagotiation behind a iron curtain, they recommended to replace CVT unit; they did not change fluid but diagnosed it only

the sitting code is P0741

of course i told them ill look for another opinion

I don’t know what to say. When the shift indicator is all crazy looking and or blinking it means internal problem with the transmission. With that said it was usually a shift solenoid on a regular AT. I’m not sure how that would apply to a CVT.

Quick google search for the P0741 says that it could be the TCC solenoid and if that’s easy to change I don’t see any harm in doing so first.

How did you know you have the fluid level correct?. It was tricky on my Nissan Rogue as volume varied significantly with temperature - from off the bottom of the dip stick COLD to 1/2 over full HOT from the factory.
Yes I had an old JATCO pusher band shimstacker ('14) with a locking dipstick easily accessible from under the hood.

No problems other than tons of wear in sludge, and mud very early on. Got that fluid out pronto!

View attachment 133201

so its pending...
You said first post that you did a D and F at 60K. So no fluid change needed unless there is a serviceable filter. Did you drop the pan and r&r the filter?
I would just have the tech run diagnostics on the trans. Fluid has be changed TWICE,

Honda should pay to fix as you are just at end of PT warranty. Subaru extended their CVT warranty.

No tranny pans on Honda auto transmissions, CVT or otherwise. Not that I am aware of anyway.:unsure:
And I’ve done D&Fs on their conventional automatics & CVTs. There is however an inline filter replacement which can be done. Also, with the exception of the ZF 9 speed auto, all Honda transmissions are in-house designs.

so thats my car in a nut shell; all those check marks at red, i already took care of it; it is preventive maintnance to me

View attachment 133213
so i got my car back; of corse i ran there to get it back once off the phone!

so in the end, after some their nagotiation behind a iron curtain, they recommended to replace CVT unit; they did not change fluid but diagnosed it only

the sitting code is P0741

of course i told them ill look for another opinion

At your mileage, I would press for a goodwill replacement from Honda. Your dealer should be an advocate, especially as you have evidently been a good service customer. A Honda reman CVT replacement is around $5k (I know this), but Honda should be willing to cover the parts (2/3) if you pay for the labor.

As some here might remember, I burned up a 2400 mile Subaru Crosstrek CVT by leaving the cruise control on, set at 70, and going up a long hill. When the slower truck in the L lane pulled over the car tried it's best to reach the set-point. But the 2L engine was under-powered and RPM's climbed to 4000, then 5000, then remained at 5200, desperately trying to achieve 70MPH, which it could not, at which point the CVT failed catastrophically.

My point is this, there was nothing wrong with that CVT before this. If I had allowed the car to slow to 40 up the hill in the truck lane, there would have been no problems with the CVT and it may have lived a normal life. How they are treated does matter. In this case, the high RPM's and continuous high load is what did it in.

EDIT: Just another thought, many Subaru's CVT's have a 70 to 80K lifespan, according to local shops. Your car is right in that window.

.... he told me there have two other Hondas on the lot with the same error message like mine, and they are overdue for fluid change

so its pending...

But again... Do these other Hondas have the jumbled up PRNDL indication on the dash?

I'm one of the bigger wasters of CVT fluids or ATFs in general because I like to DIY change them often if it's easy enough to do, but you are IMO chasing your tail changing fluid again and stressing about fluid level with this concern. I don't believe this is a fluid/level problem at all.

Last edited:

so its pending...

I wonder if the other cars on the lot that the service advisor mentioned are also CVTs.

I came across this thread which shows this code is thrown by both CVTs and 6 speed automatic transmissions.

For the AT, there's a service bulletin which fixes it but I can't find anything about the CVT

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/transmission-system-problem-p0741-need-advice.550948/

Back