93 Volvo 240 sedan 5 speed

I bought a 740 Turbo 4MT+OD sedan in '86. I started off wanting a 240 but by '86 you could no longer get a sporty 240 (was it the GLT?) in Canada. The 740 was supposed to be the replacement for the 240 but it didn't work out that way. The 240 outlasted the 740/740/780.

We really liked that car. It was still running well after 18 1/2 years and 285,000 km but had a couple of small rust spots. That's what you get for driving in the winter in Edmonton (coarse grit on the roads) plus driving in Winnipeg (salt on the roads). It used a bit of oil from day 1 but that never increased or became a problem. I had the OD rebuilt at some point - it wasn't even very expensive. And the exhaust fell off twice on long trips.

Probably should have bought a 240. The 740s look sort of quaint now but the 240s still look good.

@Oro_O Production of the 240 ended in May 1993. 2.8 million cars.

The last 1600 are known and badged as the “Classic”. Our wagon is 1446/1600, the sedan 140/1600.

#1600 was driven off the assembly line to the Volvo museum.

Most swaps are Ford 305's. Apparently they shoe-fit in nicely.
I have looked at an LS3/T5/Ford 8.8 swap in great detail. The physical drop in of this engine drivetrain combo is straightforward.

STS Machining fabs all the parts for this in a well regarded kit. No argument here.

However, the details of wiring, fittings, etc are far more complicated than most people appreciate.

I’m sure @clinebarger could do it blindfolded. As can Paul Newcomb, my mechanic, who’s done the swap 10+ times. I don’t have the ability and would have to pay for the entire project.

I’m not willing to spend $10,000+ just to go fast or smoke a set of tires.

@DuckRyder I’m an NA type of guy. Plus a big fan of mechanical simplicity.

I can appreciate that.

One of my brides favorite cars was a 744T it was a really nice car, there was also a 242GT (Not Turbo) in the family long ago and it was a nice car too.

Most swaps are Ford 305's. Apparently they shoe-fit in nicely.

302/5.0 ... saw a 245 with one (it was a friend of a friend) years ago, it was quick... windsors are getting harder to find... they aren't like 15 years ago... in fact almost nothing is.

Anyhow...

Bitog volvo auction in the spring? 😁 (only half joking)
Possibly. I have three being restored now: a 1993 sedan with 68k, a 1992 sedan with 235k and a 1993 sedan with 189k.

All are rust free.

Last edited:
Back