'93 Volvo 240 | Mobil 1 10w40/15w50 blend | 5142mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pb wear plummeted going from Castrol 5w40/K&N Filter to a blend of 2 quarts M1 10w40 High Mileage and 2 quarts M1 15w50/M1 Filter. No other changes. UOA PDF

2rg2nva.jpg

It looks like you probably had a particle streak that is now clearing up. Copper also increased (which is to be expected with bearing wear) and has not yet come back down to the levels of your first UOA.

Results between different oils can't be directly compared and there isn't a lot of trending data here, but that's what my novice eyes are seeing with your reports.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd go with a full oil fill of the M1 15W50.

That's exactly what I did. I'll report back in 5000mi ...

Originally Posted By: SUNRG
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd go with a full oil fill of the M1 15W50.

That's exactly what I did. I'll report back in 5000mi ...

Right on! Looking forward to seeing that one.

Any specific reason you are using oil that thick in a Volvo 240? I have a 1990 240 with 350,000, and most of its life all it has seen is Pennzoil 10w-30. Just barely takes a sip of oil between oil changes.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Any specific reason you are using oil that thick in a Volvo 240? I have a 1990 240 with 350,000, and most of its life all it has seen is Pennzoil 10w-30. Just barely takes a sip of oil between oil changes.

I just love the car, mine may have as many miles as yours (ODO was broken when I bought it), I'm interested in reducing engine wear, and generally thicker oils do just that.

My 240 runs and drives great, I plan to keep it for another 20+ years, and if simply choosing one oil over another will help it perform optimally for all of those years ... that's easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back