9000k service intervals. Should I change filter have way thru?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by edyvw

For me changing oil but not filter is like taking shower in underwear.

Just curious as to why you feel this way.

Is it that you dont believe the filter can, or should go that far?
Is it about the leftover oil in the filter?
Both? Something else?

UD

No, I think filter can definiately go longer than 5k, or 10k. I pulled out filters that looked brand new after 10k. But then, your underwear can go longer right?
Why saving on such cheap, but extremely important item? I mean Advance Auto Parts has always deal on 5qt oil + filter for $33. For 3.0T one needs I think 7qt of oil (I might be mistaken), so you get 10qt of oil and two filters. Why not changing?

It's just strange to me to spend time under the car to change the oil and leave out the filter.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
It's just strange to me to spend time under the car to change the oil and leave out the filter.

Sure - if you go under the car. I use a mityvac and spend no time under the car.

UD

No, I think filter can definiately go longer than 5k, or 10k. I pulled out filters that looked brand new after 10k. But then, your underwear can go longer right?
Why saving on such cheap, but extremely important item? I mean Advance Auto Parts has always deal on 5qt oil + filter for $33. For 3.0T one needs I think 7qt of oil (I might be mistaken), so you get 10qt of oil and two filters. Why not changing?

I don't throw underwear away every change, and I can wash underwear so I'm not sure the analogy works.

The filter manufacturer says it can go 20.
In the case of my Honda the auto manufacturer recommends 2 OCIS per FCI - its built into their maintenance minder.
A similar filter from 2 diff manufacturers claim 20 and at one time one claimed 25.

Based on multiple manufacturers suggestions it would seem 1-1 at 9-10K is simply assured waste from a money, resource, and time perspective.

The filters one gets in a " combo special" typically aren't rated for more than 7500-10K miles in which case sure Id swap it out

UD

I don't throw underwear away every change, and I can wash underwear so I'm not sure the analogy works.

In the case of my Honda the auto manufacturer recommends 2 OCIS per FCI - its built into their maintenance minder.
A similar filter from 2 diff manufacturers claim 20 and at one time one claimed 25.

Based on multiple manufacturers suggestions it would seem 1-1 at 9-10K is simply assured waste from a money, resource, and time perspective.

The filters one gets in a " combo special" typically aren't rated for more than 7500-10K miles in which case sure Id swap it out

UD

Filter in combo special sometimes do not have rating at all. That does not mean they cannot go long mileage. Many WIX filters are rebadged MANN filters. They are often made in Europe. Just bcs. it does not say mileage it does not mean it cannot go longer.
By the way, my Toyota oil filter looked better after 10k OCI then FRAM Ultra after 10K OCI, and FRAM claims 22,000 miles, Toyota does not claim anything, it says change oil filter with oil, which is 10K.

UD

Filter in combo special sometimes do not have rating at all. That does not mean they cannot go long mileage. Many WIX filters are rebadged MANN filters. They are often made in Europe. Just bcs. it does not say mileage it does not mean it cannot go longer.
By the way, my Toyota oil filter looked better after 10k OCI then FRAM Ultra after 10K OCI, and FRAM claims 22,000 miles, Toyota does not claim anything, it says change oil filter with oil, which is 10K.

Plenty of filters can outlast their rating. Plenty cant. No rating to me is usually bad.

Wix is also NAPA - lots of cross breeding in the filter market.

I think you are answering the question -

are you saying you dont trust the filter manufacturers ratings?

and this lack of trust is based on an observation you made?

If Toyota said 2 OCI's per FCI would you do it?

Just trying to understand your position

UD

UD

Plenty of filters can outlast their rating. Plenty cant. No rating to me is usually bad.

Wix is also NAPA - lots of cross breeding in the filter market.

I think you are answering the question -

are you saying you dont trust the filter manufacturers ratings?

and this lack of trust is based on an observation you made?

If Toyota said 2 OCI's per FCI would you do it?

Just trying to understand your position

UD

MANN does not have filter rating. MAHLE does not, Hengst does not, and those are OE suppliers for German vehicles and numerous others. To me mileage rating is marketing. Any filter is designed to do OCI specific for that vehicle. I personally would never run filter longer than OCI that vehicle manufacturer recommended. I trust OCI of vehicle manufacturer and filters are built for those specifications. In the end, do not forget that filter manufacturers and oil manufacturers who claim 15,000 or 20,000 mile intervals say in disclaimer: fallow vehicle manufacturer recommendations.
And Toyota, no I would still change filter every time I change oil. Toyota OE filter is $4.5. I would shoot myself in the knee if I was trying to save a buck there or any vehicle regardless of filter price.

MANN does not have filter rating. MAHLE does not, Hengst does not, and those are OE suppliers for German vehicles and numerous others. To me mileage rating is marketing. Any filter is designed to do OCI specific for that vehicle. I personally would never run filter longer than OCI that vehicle manufacturer recommended. I trust OCI of vehicle manufacturer and filters are built for those specifications. In the end, do not forget that filter manufacturers and oil manufacturers who claim 15,000 or 20,000 mile intervals say in disclaimer: fallow vehicle manufacturer recommendations.
And Toyota, no I would still change filter every time I change oil. Toyota OE filter is $4.5. I would shoot myself in the knee if I was trying to save a buck there or any vehicle regardless of filter price.

In the first paragraph you say you trust the manufacturer of the vehicle for the OCI and FCI.

In the second paragraph you contradict the first and say you wouldn't trust the manufacturer and change every time anyway.

Which is it?

UD

Sure - if you go under the car. I use a mityvac and spend no time under the car.

UD

Glad my filter is on top then..hahahaaha

Still, even if it it wasn't and I used an extractor, I'd always change the filter. It's just not that much work on most vehicles to leave out such a vital bit of the system that costs so little.

You know what they say about opinions....

My advice: follow your owner's manual on oil change interval, replacing both oil AND filter.

End of story, sleep better at night.

Originally Posted by andreigbs

My advice: follow your owner's manual on oil change interval, replacing both oil AND filter.

The voice of reason

Originally Posted by wantboost
2015 s5 . Direct injection . Factory calls for 9000miles /15000km oil changes. Ive been changing half way thru to help with carbon build up as it Direct injection.
2015 audi s5.

My question is do I really need to change the filter also?

Are you sure that's the maintenance interval? Usually it's 10,000 miles/16,000 km, with the initial at 5,000 miles/8,000 km. There has been exceptions in the past, but your S5 isn't exempted from their standard maintenance schedule

Have you gotten used oil analysis yet?

Last edited:

Too be clear - if your owners manual says NOT to replace the filter every OCI you'd sleep just as well?

UD

You know we have issues when we nit pick over a $10 item that can be good for half a year or even a whole year lol. You spend $10 on dumber things in that time span.

Last edited:
Dnewton has great saying - " never confuse cheap insurance with assured waste" .

I've seen no actual data proffered by this group that says Honda or the filter manufacturer have it wrong.

UD

In the first paragraph you say you trust the manufacturer of the vehicle for the OCI and FCI.

In the second paragraph you contradict the first and say you wouldn't trust the manufacturer and change every time anyway.

Which is it?

UD

Where did I say I do not trust it? Do not twist my words. I said I would change filter bcs. it is cheap and I am already changing oil.
I do not fallow OCI anyway, I change oil on BMW and VW every 5k instead of 10k. I do fallow Toyota OCI interval.
You are my friend fishing here for confirmation bias. You want someone to agree with you so you can sleep better at night.
Then do it. Change it every second OCI. Actually, change it every third OCI, just bcs. I am not sure anyone here will not sleep at night bcs. you cannot make a decision about your vehicle on your own.

Too be clear - if your owners manual says NOT to replace the filter every OCI you'd sleep just as well?

UD

He would. He would change it every OCI just bcs. that is being good owner.
Honda did it bcs. average fan of an appliance vehicles literally will have an orgasm over that.

Last edited:

Where did I say I do not trust it? Do not twist my words. I said I would change filter bcs. it is cheap and I am already changing oil.
I do not fallow OCI anyway, I change oil on BMW and VW every 5k instead of 10k. I do fallow Toyota OCI interval.
You are my friend fishing here for confirmation bias. You want someone to agree with you so you can sleep better at night.
Then do it. Change it every second OCI. Actually, change it every third OCI, just bcs. I am not sure anyone here will not sleep at night bcs. you cannot make a decision about your vehicle on your own.

I asked you - if toyota said to change the filter every other OCI would you - and you said no. Everyone here can read what you wrote.

I dont care what you do or dont do, who you do or dont agree with Im not sensitive about it - just curious as to why.

So you do what Toyota says but not BMW or VW. Why? UOA's? because dad did? because you think they dont care about your engine?

No right or wrong answer - just your reasoning.

Occasionally I hear something new or compelling - but I haven't heard any compelling reasons why the manufacturers have it wrong in this thread.

UD

Last edited:

UD

He would. He would change it every OCI just bcs. that is being good owner.
Honda did it bcs. average fan of an appliance vehicles literally will have an orgasm over that.

You speak for him?

So you think Honda got it wrong?

UD

UD

Glad my filter is on top then..hahahaaha

Still, even if it it wasn't and I used an extractor, I'd always change the filter. It's just not that much work on most vehicles to leave out such a vital bit of the system that costs so little.

Love the top mounts.

Do you buy filters that are rated for longer than your OCI's?

UD

Last edited:
Back