8000 Miles Overdue for an Oil Change: Plan of Attack?

If you can't get him in in a timely manner, DO NOT put the HPL in there. IF, on the off chance, there is build-up, you do not want to be liable for the filter getting plugged up on another one of these extended intervals.

On the other hand, if you are 100% sure you could get him in, maybe 5,000 miles from now and change the filter, then I'd skip the M1 0W-40 and go straight for the HPL for a "cleaning" run and then use the M1 0W-40 for the next OCI to use it up. That way, you aren't wasting either oil and can do some cleaning if there is anything to clean (which, with M1 0W-40 in there, really shouldn't be the case but you never know).

With that many miles in 11 months it’s had some long runs unless it’s a taxi. I would suggest just change oil and filter and let it go.
Yeah if he’s had freeway long distance runs that long an oci is acceptable if the oil in it was spec.

If there’s no solid crud on the dipstick and the engine looks clean, the car isn’t excessively smoking etc just change to a good long life synthetic like Castrol edge and move on.

18,092 miles since the last oil change.

Oil level was at the minimum mark. Filter media is intact, no debris.

Sample collected for UOA. Oil had a strong fuel odor.

Valvetrain looks clean. Access did not appear friendly to a boroscope - high likelihood of it getting stuck.

Owner agreed to a short “rinse” with new oil and filter to remove as much old oil as possible. Will refill with HPL as planned with a midway filter change.

IMG_3891.jpeg

IMG_3890.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

IMG_3894.jpeg

"performed with a 229.5 approved oil at 10-14K mile intervals."

My math says he's but 4000 over.

It would show that the oil held up for his 18k oci or it didn't.

I agree it's not useful as far as the engine condition goes, unless you were looking for coolant.
But it would be useful to know that the oil held up or it didn't for what ever driving style made up the 18k. That uoa could be shown to the owner that he is ok with that oci, or the oil is not holding up and the oci needs to be shorter.
It could based on TBN, fuel, etc. but ok...so what? Does that change anything? 18K is too long, period. Scold him/go to time out and keep it at/under 10K. $35 for the analysis - I'd use the engine flush to make sure things are nice and drained out from the long OCI.

That filter looks fine. The same as mine when changed on 10,000 mile intervals, or even early based on time.

Since the owner has agreed to an early “rinse”, how about throwing a quart of HPL engine cleaner in with the 229.5 and start you cleaning process that way? No harm if it goes longer…

Went over on our van by about 20,000 miles (30k total 😬 pretty sure it was castrol 0w40), just threw some HPL premium plus in it along with a fresh filter, then changed that after 5,000 miles with fresh oil and another new filter. Neither filter had that carbonaceous crud that others with 3.6 Pentastars seem to get.

I like Overkills recommendation though.

Gave the car a 10 mile test drive since a front brake job was performed. Upon return, I performed another oil and filter change - but with HPL Euro 5W40 and a new Mann filter. The oil was actually moderately dark - so I think a decent amount of oil stays behind with each oil change. After the HPL oil change, the oil now appears very clean on the dipstick.

The vehicle is due for a rear brake job in about 5-7K, so I will perform another oil change then.

Last edited:
I would put back M1 0W40 and tell the owner to change it sooner.

Not a big deal imo.
Leftover old oil, at least oil that is this old, will accelerate deterioration of the new oil.

Why waste good syn oil for a 20 minute flush? Use a cheap 5-30 for that
Cheap 5W30 is $18-19/jug now? I think I paid $22 for the 0W40 and it was already here.

Back