$8 million / 365 = $21,917-can you get by,lol

$8 million / 365 = $21,917. a day... Recently I looked up the salary of a popular TV news person....this is the salary listed.....as you can see at 21K bucks a day--- I think they can get by....how do they manage,,,then of course there are sports players making 10 times that amount....

IMO it is a pretty upside down society where a TV personality or sports player makes this kind of money and a Soldier, Police Officer, Fire Fighter is lucky to make a few days of it.

It is probably why things like an entire class of GA Troopers getting fired for cheating on the radar exam happen. (There is so much to say about that, but most of it will get this locked)

Yes a good chunk of change, but the TV personality bought a 3.7 M home, has to pay wages for 5 caretakers, and is taxed up the wazoo due to alt min tax and gas guzzler tax and only ends up with about 4.6M EOY before expenses. Their Mortage is over $14,000. a month (15Y fixed with 20% down) and that doesn't include a massive property tax. The TV personality is on the edge of indebtedness and lives day to day - barely.

o_O:cautious::)

It's pretty odd, so much money, but this is kinda how capitalism works, no? Not only that, but whoever is doing the paying is likely also making out like a bandit, despite shelling out that salary.

FWIW, if someone wanted to shovel ridiculous amounts of money at me for doing something I'm good at and like doing... I'll gladly PM my contact details. Easy to throw stones, but if I was in that person's shoes, I'd gladly take the money!

IMO it is a pretty upside down society where a TV personality or sports player makes this kind of money and a Soldier, Police Officer, Fire Fighter is lucky to make a few days of it.

It is probably why things like an entire class of GA Troopers getting fired for cheating on the radar exam happen. (There is so much to say about that, but most of it will get this locked)
The tv personality has to produce a profit soldiers ,police and firemen don't produce a profit.

This is common in many fields. CEO making that much is common as well and a lot of the "work" is politics.

In most field with high economy of scale (one's output can be apply to many), the producer gets paid more. This is in field like software, TV, broadcasted sport, politics (lobbyists), military (the corrupted one), monarch, religious leader, etc.

The ones with many producers and many consumers end up as commodity, or they consolidate and then the sole survivor end up as the cartel leader (drugs, agriculture, criminal organization, etc).

It sounds like the old 'Class Envy' rearing it's ugly head...

If someone can earn that much ethically, I say good for them, and more power to them.

I am not jealous of others success. If I wasn't happy with my life choices, I'd do something to change the outcome. Get more education, take a risk and start my own business, etc. That's the great thing about the land of opportunity: Anyone CAN be a success, but it's not just going to be handed to you.

I have a relative that is a lawyer and charges $500 an hour. Good for them....
I‘m not jealous because they are more educated than me and their clients are willing to pay for their services.

At any major TV network they are willing to pay big $$$ to have a person drawing in viewers and ratings / advertising dollars.

Last edited:
The talking heads are only safe until another better looking, better connected, cheaper version is given the chance. I guess these people have the same job security as the professional sports players that are one injury from career end.

It sounds like the old 'Class Envy' rearing it's ugly head...

If someone can earn that much ethically, I say good for them, and more power to them.

I am not jealous of others success. If I wasn't happy with my life choices, I'd do something to change the outcome. Get more education, take a risk and start my own business, etc. That's the great thing about the land of opportunity: Anyone CAN be a success, but it's not just going to be handed to you.
Success is not measured by one's bank account. One can live humbly and be a good person.
Money and its trappings are an empty promise.

Ultimately it’s what a person can negotiate for their salary.

Look at the pro athletes with $150M contracts for 3 or 4 years....

Success is not measured by one's bank account. One can live humbly and be a good person.
Money and its trappings are an empty promise.

I never said otherwise.

BUT, the premise of this thread is about money, and a jealous swipe at someone making 8 million per year...

I never said otherwise.

BUT, the premise of this thread is about money, and a jealous swipe at someone making 8 million per year...
I didnt read post #1 as jealous swipe, Just as an observation. Many struggle hard with the cost of living. More of a daydream.

I think the discussion should be, rather, how does the news and entertainment machine back up from these exorbitant salaries. They think they need to fish with premium bait to hook a good fish.
This affects me as my cable costs are an exorbitant $2900- per year for one little Samsung 39" TV with no DVR. And seeing what is on that box - it ain't worth it. YouTube has been my entertainment replacement. I am no longer employed, but neither I am retired collecting social security - just living off cash stashed here and there.
Being in my mid sixties, I'm in "No Man's Land" for a bit.

Last edited:
Why are we watching the tv news to begin with ? TV is fairly offensive.

It's easy to understand. Barrier to entry. It's a helluva lot easier to land a gig as a cop or soldier or whatever than it is to actually rise to national level TV personality. Just how it is. Supply and demand = cost/price/value.

Back