7th season with my mower

I think I jinxed myself. I took it out of the shed to mow my lawn today and filled it with fuel and pulled the cord multiple times. It will not start. I let it sit for awhile and tried again, dead!

If anyone cares, the problem was a clogged jet. My neighbor likes to work on small engines and took apart the carb and found the jet was clogged. It’s back to starting on the first pull.

If anyone cares, the problem was a clogged jet. My neighbor likes to work on small engines and took apart the carb and found the jet was clogged. It’s back to starting on the first pull.
I usually run things dry for storage. Many carbs have a drain screw on the bowl, or I'll just pop the bowl off. It seems to be the only way to be 100% confident fuel won't ruin things.

I have a 26 year old mower with high rear wheels that I use for difficult areas. I can't get it started right now. I am in the process of getting a new carburetor. It will again run strong. Not bad for its age.

I usually run things dry for storage. Many carbs have a drain screw on the bowl, or I'll just pop the bowl off. It seems to be the only way to be 100% confident fuel won't ruin things.

After doing the end of season maintenance, I run the mower until it stalls. This was the first time it wouldn’t start in the spring.

After doing some research, it looks like these B&S plastic carbs get clogged all the time. You can buy the jet cartridge separately. I bought one from Amazon as a future backup.

BE509ED7-93A3-4214-9F76-6031D22754C7.jpeg

I bought my Honda back in 2013 I mow on average 32 times a year (I mark it on the calendar) 1 hour each time. Back wheels are now slicks that I’ve studded with hex head screws for traction other than some fresh Valvoline 10w30 and blade sharpening she is an anvil of reliability.

I would add one of these 75 micron inline fuel filters before the carburetor. I experienced the clogged jets on these B&S carbs and with the fuel filter, never experienced it again! Good maintenance can make these inexpensive mowers last a long time!

I had a 16 yr old Toro 20007. Sold it a few years back because the front drive bearings went again and I didn't feel like replacing them. Add to that that the deck had been warped for 7 yrs I decided it was time. Thing still ran strong and started on the 1st pull the day I sold it. Little bit of maintainence goes a long way.

I only use 92 non ethanol gas in my yard equipment. I read somewhere that the fuel tank has a vent that lets in dust and dirt. The inline filter makes sense.

Back