787 ups and downs...

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
This fantastic plane is a game changer, but " new" things always bring a mix of good and bad.

The huge LED windows are a mixed bag.

Its awesome they can be controlled all by the the stus, or the cockpit.

This way when its time to go dark you can enforce that and make sure that the one guy that personally decides no one within 3 rows should sleep gets overridden.

At the same time the plane cant really get dark, and you always have the light blue glow...

Heres as dark as they get. If you are on the sun side of the plane its worse.
IMG_3195.jpeg

I have had no problems with the windows. The bit of blue green glow is nothing compared to the video screens at the seats. Some videos tend to flash light more than others.

In those cases the eyeshades along with noise cancelling ear buds do the trick. Each individual has the options available to make their flight comfortable.

I've never been on a 747 and now the plane is pretty much retired
She was a real beauty - I was able to fly her many time in business upstairs. Im priveledged.

I met the King of the Netherlands up there who was an active pilot. Really neat guy.

I will never sleep as well with on a twin engine plane as well as I did the 747.

This is all interesting. I’ve had a few 787 flights recently, including overseas, but it was a return flight so during the day.

I always bring an eye cover anyway. There’s always the chance of someone staying up with their cabin light, laptop, movies, etc. on. BTDT.

Here is another 8i I took in Sept 2021 …

Been on bunches of early iterations and mostly 400’s …

View attachment 117532
Back in the mid 80s I had to fly to Germany for my job. On the way back from Frankfurt I flew home in a brand new Lufthansa 747. A Dash 200 I suppose. I remember the best looking flight attendants on Lufthansa's payroll smiling and being so proud while we boarded. I remember the plane had a new car smell to it. At the time my company flew us first class. The plane was so perfect and spotless I would have drank water out of the lavatory sink with a straw! It was absolutely epic. I'll never forget that flight.

Scott

I've ridden on my fair share of 747s, dating back to those flown by Pan-Am (including the SP), but the fact of the matter is that a modern plane like a 787 or A350 is a better experience.

I was skeptical, but the higher cabin pressure and humidity did make for a more comfortable ride, and newer designs like the sculpted overhead bins gives them a less claustrophobic, more airy feel.

Cabin fitments vary, but the 787 also had privacy screens, with less off-angle light bleed, and less peeking at what others are watching.

The 747 may have gained some, or all of those upgrades, but with only Lufthanasa, Korean, and Air China flying passengers with the 8I, chances are lower than one might end up on one.

Given a choice, I'll also take a 787 over a 777, at least until the X comes along.

I've ridden on my fair share of 747s, dating back to those flown by Pan-Am (including the SP), but the fact of the matter is that a modern plane like a 787 or A350 is a better experience.

I was skeptical, but the higher cabin pressure and humidity did make for a more comfortable ride, and newer designs like the sculpted overhead bins gives them a less claustrophobic, more airy feel.

Cabin fitments vary, but the 787 also had privacy screens, with less off-angle light bleed, and less peeking at what others are watching.

The 747 may have gained some, or all of those upgrades, but with only Lufthanasa, Korean, and Air China flying passengers with the 8I, chances are lower than one might end up on one.

Given a choice, I'll also take a 787 over a 777, at least until the X comes along.
Often the 777 has more room per economy passenger than the 78X series of Boeing Aircraft. I fly regularly in both the 777 and 78X, and definitely prefer the 777 for long haul flights. The 78X series IMHO has been maxed for seat density, at the expense of less and smaller bathrooms, etc. I don't care about window shades, larger overhead bins, etc. I primarily car about legroom and seat width. Most 777 cabin configurations offer a tad bit more pitch and seat width than the 78X aircraft. That tad more room means a world a difference on a 14 hour flight. Next month I will be on a 14-hour flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong, in nearly new Airbus A350. The flight back will be Hong Kong to LAX on a dated 777. The older 777 will be a more comfortable economy seat than the newer A350.

I don't need the bells and whistles. All I want is a little more cushion in the seat, a tad bit more legroom, and seat width. And having a few more bathrooms on a widebody make a really big difference.

Often the 777 has more room per economy passenger than the 78X series of Boeing Aircraft. I fly regularly in both the 777 and 78X, and definitely prefer the 777 for long haul flights. The 78X series IMHO has been maxed for seat density, at the expense of less and smaller bathrooms, etc. I don't care about window shades, larger overhead bins, etc. I primarily car about legroom and seat width. Most 777 cabin configurations offer a tad bit more pitch and seat width than the 78X aircraft. That tad more room means a world a difference on a 14 hour flight. Next month I will be on a 14-hour flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong, in nearly new Airbus A350. The flight back will be Hong Kong to LAX on a dated 777. The older 777 will be a more comfortable economy seat than the newer A350.

I don't need the bells and whistles. All I want is a little more cushion in the seat, a tad bit more legroom, and seat width. And having a few more bathrooms on a widebody make a really big difference.

Newer seats can be installed in older planes so you end up with similar comfort. The slouch seats as I call them don’t have the comfort as the older reclining seats but passengers don’t like the seat in front of them reclining. I say boo hoo. So now we all suffer with the slouch seats.

Proper pillow and blanket placement helps somewhat.

The 8i has the newer bins … one downside of the 74 is airlines can cram seats in all classes …
The 78’s are ideal for 1-2-1 business class …

Newer seats can be installed in older planes so you end up with similar comfort. The slouch seats as I call them don’t have the comfort as the older reclining seats but passengers don’t like the seat in front of them reclining. I say boo hoo. So now we all suffer with the slouch seats.

Proper pillow and blanket placement helps somewhat.
I am sitting on a two hour delayed Seattle to Baltimore 737 with modern recaro seats. Plane is still being boarded and my dupa already hurts. Five hour flight. At least I was fortunate enough to score exit row.

You are right, airlines are retrofitting older planes for more seats. But the 777, even with a higher density of seats, appears more comfortable on a long flight compared to it 78x counterpart. And the 777 seats more, so better, but unlikely chance of having some empty seats than a 78x. Every flight is full all the time, so I get my comment is somewhat irrelevant.

Bring back the 727 and md 80s!! ,

And on a side note, my seatmate just sat next to me. He must be at least seven feet tall. Glad for him he also scored a exit row.

I am sitting on a two hour delayed Seattle to Baltimore 737 with modern recaro seats. Plane is still being boarded and my dupa already hurts. Five hour flight. At least I was fortunate enough to score exit row.

You are right, airlines are retrofitting older planes for more seats. But the 777, even with a higher density of seats, appears more comfortable on a long flight compared to it 78x counterpart. And the 777 seats more, so better, but unlikely chance of having some empty seats than a 78x. Every flight is full all the time, so I get my comment is somewhat irrelevant.

Bring back the 727 and md 80s!! ,

And on a side note, my seatmate just sat next to me. He must be at least seven feet tall. Glad for him he also scored a exit row.

It will depend on the airline of course. The 787 started out with 3-3-3 seating but I believe some airlines tried or went with 3-4-3. That would be tight and I suspect more suited for shorter flights. The 777 generally has 3-4-3 seating though United had the five seat middle setup. I’ve been on those and it’s not a good arrangement especially if you have the aisle seat and someone tries to get into the overhead bin above you.

The new 777-X aircraft look interesting but when they will be operating is another question.

Back