737 max... what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I supposed to be more clear. In light of MAX, KC46, 787 issues etc. obviously there is a problem there. Initial reaction to MAX issues, they way initial certification was done, point to deeper issues within the company.
Yes obviously ... and hopefully heads have rolled over it. Boeing should be better like in the past, and apparently management at all levels have been corrupted over the years. I've seen similar situations happen, and being in the middle of similar fiascos. When management doesn't listen to engineering and is more worried about cost and schedule, things can do sideways. A big fiasco like this one tends flush out issues at all levels of a company's operations.

Yes obviously ... and hopefully heads have rolled over it. Boeing should be better like in the past, and apparently management at all levels have been corrupted over the years. I've seen similar situations happen, and being in the middle of similar fiascos. When management doesn't listen to engineering and is more worried about cost and schedule, things can do sideways. A big fiasco like this one tends flush out issues at all levels of a company's operations.
I watched some documentary I think on Prime where Muilenburg talks about Boeing and Airbus competition. This was maybe 10+ years ago. It was astonishing example of ego, arrogance and hubris.

Bloomberg: Air Canada Boeing 737 Max Suffers Engine Problem: Aviation24.
Completely normal situation. But with all eyes on MAX, really unfortunate event.

For the pilots out there how often does an engine issue like this happen? I know it's unfortunate for this plane to get more bad press but I'm thinking after all the scrutiny this plane is probably going to be one of the safest out there.

My pilot uncle used to joke to me about his 2 engine plane. He would ask me if I knew why his plane had two engines? I would say why?
His answer was always. "The second engine is to get you to the crash site." Bad joke I know.

Yet the vast majority of transoceanic flights are done with two engined aircraft. The safety record speaks for itself.
One of the last holdouts for ETOPS jets, the LAX/SFO-SYD route was flown exclusively with 744s and A380s. QF and UA got rid of the former and it looks like the A380 is mothballed until Australia gives the OK for international travel. United is more than likely sending a 777-300ER for that route.

One of the last holdouts for ETOPS jets, the LAX/SFO-SYD route was flown exclusively with 744s and A380s. QF and UA got rid of the former and it looks like the A380 is mothballed until Australia gives the OK for international travel. United is more than likely sending a 777-300ER for that route.

Sounds like a plan. Some airlines even use a 787-9 for a route like that. It depends on passenger load plus cargo. My guess is that air cargo from Australia to the US and back is a big thing.

I used to fly a couple of transpacific flights a year up till a few years ago. The last time I flew on a four holer was 2006 if my memory serves me right. It has been 777 and lately Dreamliners from that time going forward.

Boeing Charged with 737 Max Fraud Conspiracy and Agrees to Pay over $2.5 Billion​

“The misleading statements, half-truths, and omissions communicated by Boeing employees to the FAA impeded the government’s ability to ensure the safety of the flying public,” said U.S. Attorney Erin Nealy Cox for the Northern District of Texas. “This case sends a clear message: The Department of Justice will hold manufacturers like Boeing accountable for defrauding regulators – especially in industries where the stakes are this high.”

“Today's deferred prosecution agreement holds Boeing and its employees accountable for their lack of candor with the FAA regarding MCAS,” said Special Agent in Charge Emmerson Buie Jr. of the FBI’s Chicago Field Office. “The substantial penalties and compensation Boeing will pay, demonstrate the consequences of failing to be fully transparent with government regulators. The public should be confident that government regulators are effectively doing their job, and those they regulate are being truthful and transparent.”

I flew on a MAX this past weekend. It was a great plane, and a quiet and uneventful flight. I'd have no issues getting back on one, although that should come with a disclaimer that I wasn't afraid to fly on a domestic MAX before the grounding, either. Domestic airlines had been successfully flying that airframe for more than a year, with thousands upon thousands of successful flights.

Flew on Southwest right after Christmas. Initial STL-BWI was on a 737-700, and then we went BWI-MCO and returning home MCO-STL on a -800.

I would have had zero issues flying on a Southwest or any other MAX before the grounding, and won't after they bring them back. The Southwest 737-700s, at least with the new interiors, always feel cramped to me(much more so than the -800s, which I find relatively comfortable for economy) and they're not exactly quiet either.

I don't fly a lot, and my next flight will be in May/June most likely, and also almost certainly on Southwest. I'm really hoping we'll be on a nice, comfortable, and quiet MAX.

I flew on a MAX this past weekend. It was a great plane, and a quiet and uneventful flight. I'd have no issues getting back on one, although that should come with a disclaimer that I wasn't afraid to fly on a domestic MAX before the grounding, either. Domestic airlines had been successfully flying that airframe for more than a year, with thousands upon thousands of successful flights.
AA pilots had a lot to say about MAX.

AA pilots had a lot to say about MAX.
I know they did, but that doesn't change it's record domestically. I'm very familiar with the issues that we had with the plane during its first year of service. However, the aircraft coupled with a well-trained and capable crew, had an excellent record before the grounding which is why I didn't have an issue being on-board before and certainly would fly it again now.

I know they did, but that doesn't change it's record domestically. I'm very familiar with the issues that we had with the plane during its first year of service. However, the aircraft coupled with a well-trained and capable crew, had an excellent record before the grounding which is why I didn't have an issue being on-board before and certainly would fly it again now.
That is not a long record by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back