737 max... what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made one trip to Asia where it was outbound on a 777-300 and return on a 747-400. I much preferred the 777 for the amenities. The 747-400 still had movies shown on a CRT popping down from above, while the 777 had in-flight entertainment on personal flatscreens. I don't think the 747 was any better in coach than with a 737, but I was sitting in an exit row. I've been on a 747-400 before in a bulkhead row, and it wasn't that great. I mentioned that to a flight attendant, and he said he'd rather be on a 747 because he thought that four engines were better than two in case of engine problems.

I've flown business class before and first class once. Nothing on one of the newer type with those cubbies but a large traditional airline seat. That's pretty nice. Once I got moved to business class because I arrived at my assigned seat and it didn't exist because there was a luggage storage bin where it was supposed to be. Coach was also completely full. Apparently the only plane in their fleet with this bin, but it wasn't blocked out. While it didn't recline, the Big Front Seat on Spirit wasn't bad for an extra $10.
I had several trips in first and business, and it is always nice, especially whiskey.

I had several trips in first and business, and it is always nice, especially whiskey.

I was on a first class flight with maybe a a dozen first class seats and only 4 first class passengers. The meal was better than most, but they had, Champagne (Krug or Dom Perignon), and I don't remember the liquor, although I'm sure they had XO Cognac and a bunch of single malts. That was on an MD-11 back in the 90s.

It was not pitch. Itw as new design (744). Much thinner, seriously uncomfortable. I generally have an issue with anything in economy, but this was bad on back. My wife is 5ft and she also had back issues.

You must be talking about what I call slouch seats. They don’t recline, the seat bottom slides forward thus giving the illusion of reclining.

Yes they are very uncomfortable. I’ve had a few flights on 10-15 hours with those seats. My back reminded me about it for a few days afterwards.

You must be talking about what I call slouch seats. They don’t recline, the seat bottom slides forward thus giving the illusion of reclining.

Yes they are very uncomfortable. I’ve had a few flights on 10-15 hours with those seats. My back reminded me about it for a few days afterwards.
I think they were reclining, Recaro, but they were so thin, so hard, ridiculous.

From the FAA. “Boeing recommends operators of some 737 MAX airplanes temporarily remove them from service to address a potential electrical issue.”

Just think, Boeing could have been making first deliveries on an cutting edge, all-composite, modern narrowbody around now if they committed to it back in 2011. Yet they’re still chasing down issues on a barely-competitive 57 year old design that has destroyed their image, possibly for decades.

Last edited:
Just think, Boeing could have been making first deliveries on an cutting edge, all-composite, modern narrowbody around now if they committed to it back in 2011. Yet they’re still chasing down issues on a barely-competitive 57 year old design that has destroyed their image, possibly for decades.
From what I read this looks like an assembly error rather than a design defect. That could have happened regardless of whether it was a new design or old.

From what I read this looks like an assembly error rather than a design defect. That could have happened regardless of whether it was a new design or old.
Absolutely it is a design error. The problem started with the fact they tried to limit the number of hours required for retraining, having only one pitot tube input etc.
The real problem is leadership and the motives behind such a move.

Absolutely it is a design error. The problem started with the fact they tried to limit the number of hours required for retraining, having only one pitot tube input etc.
The real problem is leadership and the motives behind such a move.
Different discussion on which Kschachn was commenting.

Latest grounding is for an electric fault.

The grounding point for the standby power bus was painted over during manufacture.

That’s a production error. Plain and simple.

Quick inspection, and cleaning off the paint so that the power has a good ground, and the airplane is good to go.

The grounding point for the standby power bus was painted over during manufacture.

Quick inspection, and cleaning off the paint so that the power has a good ground, and the airplane is good to go.
Ah, I see. OK, yeah, that makes sense.

OK, I see what you saying, Astro14 pointed.
This is pickle on par with that engine some crew had to shut down as soon as MAX was reapproved. When all eyes are on you, anything is news, regardless of how normal that news is. If it is negative, it is news. There is no positive "news."

Airplane sandpaper is expensive.

Airplane mechanic labor is expensive.

But not as expensive as assembly worker error, it would seem...

Airplane mechanic labor is expensive.

But not as expensive as assembly worker error, it would seem...
It’s not an assembly worker error. They wouldn’t make the exact same error on 106 airplanes. They were following a new design change the engineers came up with in early 2019.

“This issue affects certain .... airplanes manufactured after design changes were implemented in early 2019”
DE4D4120-23DE-4D2F-B2FC-E29AC3F4C8BE.jpeg

737 MAX-10 first flight today. The longest 737 model, with updated landing gear to help avoid tail strikes on takeoff and landing.

I flew on a 737 Max a few weeks ago and it is a nice modern aircraft but the passenger seat / space is more cramped than ever. I didn't think it was possible to make them any smaller, but of course they found a way. Good grief.

I flew on a 737 Max a few weeks ago and it is a nice modern aircraft but the passenger seat / space is more cramped than ever. I didn't think it was possible to make them any smaller, but of course they found a way. Good grief.
That’s the choice of the airline in question. Seat design. Seat pitch. Etc…

Boeing provides the shell.

Economy/economy plus/first class configuration are all chosen by the customer.

That's based on a 737-700 with some -800 parts. It does not have the MAX engines or MCAS system.

That was just an example of what could be done with the interior of a 737. But there were BBJ orders based on the 737 MAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back