70 Ford Galaxy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone, I need some help. My grandfather wants to know if he is using a proper oil for his mint 1970 Ford Galaxy. It has an original big block and the car only has 49,000 miles!(I think it's a 390 but there is a chance it's a 410)He really never paid any attention to what oil he uses except not to use anything synthetic. Luckily, with BITOG help he is now broke of that in his other vehicles. The last oil he bought for his old cars (55 Chevy with 265 and this Ford Galaxy) was Pennzoil 10w-30 High mileage. I looked on the back of this oil and noticed it is sm rated! I told him I don't think It has enough zinc in it to properly protect this engine and he should use an oil such as Rotella T. Also, he is now on a limited income and because of health problems can't afford the best out there. I need help finding something as cheap as possible that is going to give these cars decent protection. He changes the oil in them every 6 months, usually with less than 500 miles on the oil with a purolator classic oil filter. He only drives these cars to car shows. What does everyone here think? I thank you for your time!

Foster

Nice cars Foster! A '70 Galaxie most probably has a 390 or maybe a 302, 351 or 429. The 410 was only used in full sized Mercurys in the '66-'67 timeframe if memory serves. Edsel also had a 410 back in '58.

I'd use an HDEO like Rotella T 10W30 in both of those cars. You can pick it up at your local Wal-Mart along with an excellent Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter. The current fill pf Pennzoil High Mileage is probably OK for now, but the extra protection that the Rotella should provide would make me feel good.

Andrew S.

He can easily extend his oil change interval if he's worried about unneccesary work. I have a classic car that sees 500-1000 miles per year. I use regular oil (Rotella T) and leave it in there for a few years at a time. Someone once did a used oil analysis on their classic car after three years with the same useage pattern as your granddad and I have, and found that the oil was still in good shape.

My first car was a 67 LTD with the 390 engine. Great car!

Tell your grandfather not to worry. I have a 1956 Ford Crown Vic that sees a steady diet of regular old Pennzoil yellow bottle 10W-30, and it works just fine.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Nice cars Foster! A '70 Galaxie most probably has a 390 or maybe a 302, 351 or 429. The 410 was only used in full sized Mercurys in the '66-'67 timeframe if memory serves. Edsel also had a 410 back in '58.

I'd use an HDEO like Rotella T 10W30 in both of those cars. You can pick it up at your local Wal-Mart along with an excellent Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter. The current fill pf Pennzoil High Mileage is probably OK for now, but the extra protection that the Rotella should provide would make me feel good.

Andrew S.

+1.

Those valve springs are pretty weak, and the cam profiles are not aggressive.
And most imoportant of all, those valve trains are already broken in.
Use anybody's oil now.

Thank you everyone for your help. I told him to go ahead and put the oil in. I think he is going to try Rotella T next oil change. I'm glad this oil will not cause this engine any harm, it's too nice of a car to be worrying about internal wear. I will post pics of his cars Wednesday night after I visit. Thank you everyone!

Foster

Are his cars garaged at night? When he does drive them, is for for at least 30 minutes or more so everything can get warmed up? If so, he could easily leave conventional oil in there for a year at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back