7,000 miles on dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at buying a 2002 pontiac bonneville with the 3.8 supercharged engine. The guy told me he relies on the on board computer to tell him when to change the oil. He said it comes to about every 7,000 miles. He takes the vehicle to the dealer for oil changes, so I don't know what brand is in there. Regardless, I think 7,000 miles is way too long don't you? If it matters, this guy drives all freeway.

They only way to know for sure is to get a UOA on the oil. But some dinos have shown good results, I think, with that kind of interval. The OLMs are pretty good these days.

I took my HHR to 5400 miles on dino and that was as far as I was comfortable with.

I currently have about 7400 miles on the HHR with synthetic and will change it out in about a week just because I do spring and fall oil changes. My OLM says 23% oil life left.

Quote:

I'm looking at buying a 2002 pontiac bonneville with the 3.8 supercharged engine. The guy told me he relies on the on board computer to tell him when to change the oil. He said it comes to about every 7,000 miles. He takes the vehicle to the dealer for oil changes, so I don't know what brand is in there. Regardless, I think 7,000 miles is way too long don't you? If it matters, this guy drives all freeway.

That statement alone implies you might want to reconsider your thinking...
Learn about the OLM, look at some UOA results, this isn't the 1960's anymore.

So what are you saying? It does or doesn't make a difference whether it's highway or city driving?

Quote:

So what are you saying? It does or doesn't make a difference whether it's highway or city driving?

A couple of long highway trips are much easier on the oil than a bunch of short trips for the same miles driven.

If it's possible to check under the oil filler cap, do so, and see if there's any sludge/varnish. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. As others said above, Highway miles are pretty easy for oil.

Well, for my two current Accords, the manual requires every 7500 or once a year, whichever comes first, with only the required API spec specified. I don't run this long, although Honda (and GM) apparently think I could.
If it looks clean under the fill cap, with no more than light brown varnish, you should be just fine.
As someone here once posted, the junkyard won't give you any more money for your 200K+ car just because the valve train is really clean.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle that does 7K OCIs on dino - would probably go longer - if it weren't for the OLM reminder.

These are the type of owners that fail to do any maintanence on their vehicle -- until something breaks or fails.

Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle that does 7K OCIs on dino - would probably go longer - if it weren't for the OLM reminder.

These are the type of owners that fail to do any maintanence on their vehicle -- until something breaks or fails.

Well, in this case I'd say this probably isn't true. If the guy took it to the dealer for his 7000 mile oil changes, he surely had opportunity to be offered the other, mileage based and checked, maintenance items. It's not like he was allowed to forget about them until they broke. Now he may very well have ignored/declined the suggested services ..but..
dunno.gif

Im sure its in sound condition on 7000mi OCIs on the highway. My 3800 did great on the highway for oil wear. Be careful more for body problems and interior issues in an older bonneville, and the transmission is what I'd be most concerned about if its supercharged.

The service intervals on my 96 Saturn SL2 range from 6-10k miles using 5w-30 conventional and Fram or Purolator filters. Mostly 1-3 mile city trips too.

When I removed the valve cover after 95k miles, there was only a light coating of varnish on the valvetrain.

Simple,
The 4L60E on the supercharged cars is right at the limit of its power handling capabilities as it comes from factory. While they often easily go 50,000 miles and get through the warranty period, many encounter issues with them and the CV joints by 90,000. Just inspect it well and the fluid. Highway driving shouldn't harm it one bit, but it is easy to be a little hard on these cars since they have fun torque
smile.gif

The only other thing you might consider with this car is the fuel economy on modern EtOH 10% fuel isn't stellar. I could only manage 17/27 in my Camaro driving easy on the new reformulted gas, when prior I got 20/30 regularly and I kept it in stellar shape. Other friends with bonnevilles, buicks, and the like get similar economy in their FWDs. You might want a more efficient car if you're not planning on buying it outright.

It's a nice riding vehicle though. Very comfortable at speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back