62TE Transmission - Caravan's without Dipstick Refill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got these codes from ScanGauge to program an X-Gauge into the ScanGauge so it reads the temperature in the transmission of the 62TE 6 Speed Transmissions found in the 2012 - 2019 Dodge Grand Caravans.

I thought I would post in this section for future reference for those searching the Internet for this information, as you need to know the temperature of the fluid in the pan for correct refilling procedure using a measuring dipstick like the one Dorman makes. Not everyone has access to a proper scan-tool to read this information and most cheap ones will not do it, but they might have a ScanGauge or have a friend that has one. Or might just want to watch the temperature as they are towing.

X-Gauge Programming codes:
TXD: 07E022B010
RXF: 046205B00610
RXD: 3010
MTH: 000100400000
NAME: TF1

Here is a link to the dipstick from Dorman that is needed: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-52514-917-327.aspx
Dorman Part Number: 917-327 (Sold on Amazon, Rock-Auto and other places)
(This transmission doesn't have a dipstick normally)

This also works on the VW Routan vans that are essentially Dodge Grand Caravans.

Procedure as per Chrysler:
1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.
NOTE: When inserting dipstick special dipstick, excess force may cause
the dipstick to slip past the stop on the bracket in the transmission oil
pan. The dipstick should be inserted into the fill tube approximately 16.7".
The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.
6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick has indicator marks every 10 mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the following graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.

Here is the temperature / measurement chart:

1.png

Last edited:
Why oh why do the moron engineers make a simple trans service a chore! first the torque converter drain plug then the oil pan drain plug then the dipstick.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why oh why do the moron engineers make a simple trans service a chore!

It was like that on the Highlander too. I think they don't want folks to tamper with things and they know the trans will last past the warranty which is all they care about because it's built in obsolescence. Further they will never not be able to have refilling ports / procedures because of warranty issues where it might be required so we will always have a way to get in there until they figure some way out of this as well.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Why oh why do the moron engineers make a simple trans service a chore! first the torque converter drain plug then the oil pan drain plug then the dipstick.

Especially on a car known for its transmission problems
mad.gif

Actually the Caravan's after the 1990's aren't known for transmission problems unless they weren't looked after. Their 4-speeds now and this 6-speed are super reliable. They had issues with the 9-speeds and I'm not sure those are fixed, but yeah for an OE that has issues with transmissions you would think they would want dipsticks on them all until otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

I really think this is a ploy to generate additional revenue for the dealer. I saw on Weber U. the "Correct" procedure to change the fluid and how to ensure that it's at the proper level and one would need so much equipment, that the average person would never have, furthermore if done properly even the dealer would have problems, not technically, but of justifying the cost to the client as it would take at least 1.5 to 2 hrs to do the exchange if you have the machine, if not probably 3hrs.

On vehicles that do have a transmission drain plug I have always just drained them cold and measured what came out and refilled with the same amount. I suspect the overly complicated level check procedures are of significantly more importance with hot fluid. Not having a drain plug is a bummer but as others have mentioned, Dorman makes aftermarket ones with plugs. We had one on our old Caravan and it was very convenient.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Especially on a car known for its transmission problems
mad.gif

And for an engine with known lifter problems! The Jeep guys are quite vocal about this.

Scott

PS I had a late model Mercedes with a "factory sealed" transmission. With the proper adapters, refilling after a drain was straightforward.

Originally Posted by fisher83
On vehicles that do have a transmission drain plug I have always just drained them cold and measured what came out and refilled with the same amount. I suspect the overly complicated level check procedures are of significantly more importance with hot fluid. Not having a drain plug is a bummer but as others have mentioned, Dorman makes aftermarket ones with plugs. We had one on our old Caravan and it was very convenient.

This assumes that it was filled correctly in the first place, it also assumes no evaporation over time which can and does happen, it assumes there isn't a leak that can't be seen, and measuring what comes out can differ slightly with minute changes over time and thus end up with the wrong fluid level down the road. It may work but there is too much room for error and it's better to use the correct procedure. Especially when warranty is intact and when replacement transmissions cost $4K+ now.

to further complicate service I fully expect to see a transmission that requires you to remove it, then remove an access cover or vent. Invert and drain. Then flip upright and fill before installing the access cover or vent. No pan. Replacing the life time filter will require splitting the case.

How many years, less than 5 probably on something German. Or Ford.

Rod

Originally Posted by StevieC

This assumes that it was filled correctly in the first place, it also assumes no evaporation over time which can and does happen, it assumes there isn't a leak that can't be seen, and measuring what comes out can differ slightly with minute changes over time and thus end up with the wrong fluid level down the road. It may work but there is too much room for error and it's better to use the correct procedure. Especially when warranty is intact and when replacement transmissions cost $4K+ now.

If you're worried about warranty, does that Amsoil SS 0W-20 meet OEM spec?

Scott

Not me, others in the same situation without dipsticks. Don't forget there are lots of folks reading these forums.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fisher83

And you assume the Dorman Stick actually measures it correctly. The cold drain and fill have worked well for me( and many others on Swedespeed) on factory filled transmissions with temp sensitive fill procedures, such as my Volvo. Of course, accurate measurements are required. Now that I have VIDA/DICE I can do it per Volvo procedures and check the level with the fill check screw.

The dorman stick has MM measurements and they are correct when compared to a tape measure as would be the same case for the OE dipstick made by Miller. Give me some credit, I would double check anything from Dorman.
wink.gif

The dorman stick has MM measurements and they are correct when compared to a tape measure as would be the same case for the OE dipstick made by Miller. Give me some credit, I would double check anything from Dorman.
wink.gif

So, how do you check a Dorman dip stick for a car that does not come with a dipstick? A 1 mm difference would more than account for the "evaporation" error you mentioned..

The Dorman dipstick like I said has millimeter markings from the end of the dipstick graduated to the top. So does the Miller tool specified by Chrysler. Both measure properly on a tape-measure going from the end (start) of the dipstick to each of the markings.

Furthermore even if I hadn't checked or someone else doesn't check and uses it blindly there is a minimum/maximum level as per the chart above which allows for an approximate 16mm difference considered the "safe zone" so even if it's off slightly it's still acceptable.
wink.gif

Last edited:
The Dorman dipstick like I said has millimeter markings from the end of the dipstick graduated to the top. So does the Miller tool specified by Chrysler. Both measure properly on a tape-measure going from the end (start) of the dipstick to each of the markings.

Furthermore even if I hadn't checked or someone else doesn't check and uses it blindly there is a minimum/maximum level as per the chart above which allows for an approximate 16mm difference considered the "safe zone" so even if it's off slightly it's still acceptable.
wink.gif

So, Chrysler specifies a dipstick for a vehicle that does not come with a dipstick? Actually, I think your level is okay as you measured it. There is enough tolerance to account for this. The temperature procedure is meant for dealers anyway, since most customers come in with hot transmission temperatures and it would be prohibitive to wait for a cold trans temp.But, the cold drain and fill for a factory filled trans works fine for the DIY-ers as long as they are careful in measuring the amount out and amount in.

The Dorman stick works well. However there are a lot of DYI ways of checking the level on the Chrysler transmissions that came w/o a dipstick. I've seen makeshift dipsticks made with long zip ties. All it has to do is bottom out in the transmission pan and have 5mm markings from the lowest part of the zip tie up about 70 mm. There are articles on the web on how to measure the temperature of the ATF and the chart for the level. A PITA for sure but not that bad to service once you understand how it is done.

I was forced to deal this on my former Ram. I like the ability of servicing my own transmission without making a mess and taking a half hour to drain and refill about 1/3 of my transmission fluid.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The Dorman stick works well. However there are a lot of DYI ways of checking the level on the Chrysler transmissions that came w/o a dipstick. I've seen makeshift dipsticks made with long zip ties. All it has to do is bottom out in the transmission pan and have 5mm markings from the lowest part of the zip tie up about 70 mm. There are articles on the web on how to measure the temperature of the ATF and the chart for the level. A PITA for sure but not that bad to service once you understand how it is done.

Yeah lots of folks are just scoring their engine oil dipsticks and using that. They just make a note of where it is cold when it has been sitting overnight and use the ambient air temperature that day and do it that way.

Originally Posted by TTK
So, Chrysler specifies a dipstick for a vehicle that does not come with a dipstick? Actually, I think your level is okay as you measured it. There is enough tolerance to account for this. The temperature procedure is meant for dealers anyway, since most customers come in with hot transmission temperatures and it would be prohibitive to wait for a cold trans temp.But, the cold drain and fill for a factory filled trans works fine for the DIY-ers as long as they are careful in measuring the amount out and amount in.

The Miller tool is for dealers and they have this tool. I'm just explaining that I have compared this specific tool to the Dorman one. I have access to the tool's exact measurements at a friend of my dad's shop and wanted to compare for my in-laws Caravan at the time using the Dorman version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back