62,000 miles without an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

If anybody's interested, I'm going to be on KABC Radio (LA) tonight at 10PM, interviewed and taking calls about my article on OCI at thetruthaboutcars.com.

Will you be able to record that interview to post on the internet afterward?

I'm an idiot when it comes to computer tech - how do you do it. I do have a link to streaming audio from KABC, and you can get it from their web site. I'm not in LA, BTW; its via phone.

Paul

OK, If I can stay up, I'll check the audio from their website.

cheers.gif

Good luck Paul, hope it goes well for you.

Quote:

If anybody's interested, I'm going to be on KABC Radio (LA) tonight at 10PM, interviewed and taking calls about my article on OCI at thetruthaboutcars.com.

Quote:

If one is serious about writing a balanced article on OCI, one should look at all aspects and not just cover it all.

For example: Quality of fuel in some countries vs other (fuel in US and canada is low quality compared with japan and europe with higher sulfur and quicker depletion of TBN); quality of oil in some contries vs other (group 3 in US is called synthetic but semisynthetic in europe); some cars have large oil sumps and burn some oil (thus can get away with longer interwals); some cars have hot oil temp and thus shorter OCI; etc, etc.

Paul N didn't do his homework well.

I think you are not the one that does his homework, as many europeans have told you time and time again, (maybe not you specifically, but it has been commented on ad nauseum) it is perfectly acceptable and not against any so called "laws" to call GIII oil synthetic with no semi- disclaimer prepended to it. As for the fuel, sulfer amounts have been steadily declining to be equal with Europe at least, the only thing is they may not have as much silly oxygenate rules that have been required here. For a long time Germany was still running leaded fuel long after only unleaded was available here, much to the detriment of their environment, so better?

A person I was stationed with in the Air Force purchased a new Corolla back in the late 80's. Sometime in the early 90's he overheard some of us discussing oil changes and filters and such and realized he had never had his oil changed. His Corolla had over 80K miles on conventional motor oil. He proptly had his oil and filter changed. The last time I talked to him he still owned the car with well over 100K miles and the engine was running fine.

grampi48: Thank you for that story. It even beats the 62,000 mile test. Maybe I'll write a follow-up with stories about folks like this. Any others??

Quote:

grampi48: Thank you for that story. It even beats the 62,000 mile test. Maybe I'll write a follow-up with stories about folks like this. Any others??

If you publish these unsubstantiated anegdotes, it will amount to disinformation and disservice to the public.
I bet, in real life, there are hundeds of sludged engines for every case of those "success" stories.

Quote:

A person I was stationed with in the Air Force purchased a new Corolla back in the late 80's. Sometime in the early 90's he overheard some of us discussing oil changes and filters and such and realized he had never had his oil changed. His Corolla had over 80K miles on conventional motor oil. He proptly had his oil and filter changed. The last time I talked to him he still owned the car with well over 100K miles and the engine was running fine.

With the owner being this oblivious, is it possible it was serviced and he didn't know it? For instance, did he ever have the car serviced at all such as a general maintenance interval and at that time they also did the oil/filter perhaps?

I would be quite surprised if conventional oil lasted ~5 years and 80,000 miles.

Regards,

Rich

Did you know that you could spend twenty minutes in 38 F water in a flooded dry suit in a stone quarry in Indiana and not die? Been there, done that, and would not wish it upon anyone else.
In the same vein, why would any owner want to push the limits wrt OCIs? Maybe 3-4K is overkill, but I cannot imagine any sensible owner never changing the oil.
What you have here, my friend, is a kids, don't try this at home anecodote. Nothing more.

Quote:

With the owner being this oblivious, is it possible it was serviced and he didn't know it? For instance, did he ever have the car serviced at all such as a general maintenance interval and at that time they also did the oil/filter perhaps?

That wouldn't surprise me at all, especially with the recent issue I had where my wife took her car in to have new snow tires put on, and they changed her oil without asking us, and I did not find out about it until I changed the oil myself the next time.

i think you need to talk about mobil on your show. spread some rumors. don't accuse anyone...don't want a law suit, but i'm sure you know how to talk if your on the radio

Patman: did they charge you for it? And put in the right kind of oil? Frankly, I would be more than a bit steamed if they did it without asking and charged you. I wouldn't pay. (this has nothing to do with OCI)

Quote:

Patman: did they charge you for it? And put in the right kind of oil? Frankly, I would be more than a bit steamed if they did it without asking and charged you. I wouldn't pay. (this has nothing to do with OCI)

They did charge us for it, but I didn't find out about it for a few months. I had Syntec 5w30 in there, and was going to run it for only 5000km and then switch to GTX 5w20. It turns out the shop that did the oil change used GTX 5w20! So as angry as I was at first, I calmed down a lot once I found this out, since they just ended up giving me a headstart on testing that oil anyhow.

I helped a guy change an engine in an intrepid with 32,000 miles on it. The lady bought it new, and never checked or changed the oil. She didn't know she needed too. Anyway, it was an amazing sight to see. The majority of the oil had become sludge, and the motor self-composted from oil starvation. We pulled the motor apart to have a look-see at the damage, and it was break taking. Hard sludge in the sump and on top of the heads, incredible amounts of scuff damage to the bores and pistons, three cracked rods, though only one had completely separated before the engine seized. We took pictures, but my buddy who has them is overseas at the moment playing in the sand.

Similar to other previous postings: don't top up the oil, and it runs dry. It's impressive to think it lasted as long as it did without ever having oil added.

Quote:

I helped a guy change an engine in an intrepid with 32,000 miles on it. The lady bought it new, and never checked or changed the oil. She didn't know she needed too. Anyway, it was an amazing sight to see. The majority of the oil had become sludge, and the motor self-composted from oil starvation. We pulled the motor apart to have a look-see at the damage, and it was break taking. Hard sludge in the sump and on top of the heads, incredible amounts of scuff damage to the bores and pistons, three cracked rods, though only one had completely separated before the engine seized. We took pictures, but my buddy who has them is overseas at the moment playing in the sand.

See? KEEP running that Pennzoil. Peeps have been told time and time again. Stuff will RUIN your engine!
laugh.gif

My daughter gave me a blank stare when I asked if she had been changing oil in her new Corolla. Took a look and it took two quarts to show on the dipstick. She had gone 14,000 mi on the OEM fill. Told her to change it and drive freeway miles for a bit then change it again, which she ignored, so I gave up. Stupid car ran over 100K miles 'till she traded it in.

Quote:

Did you know that you could spend twenty minutes in 38 F water in a flooded dry suit in a stone quarry in Indiana and not die? Been there, done that, and would not wish it upon anyone else.
In the same vein, why would any owner want to push the limits wrt OCIs? Maybe 3-4K is overkill, but I cannot imagine any sensible owner never changing the oil.
What you have here, my friend, is a kids, don't try this at home anecodote. Nothing more.

Did that at a quarry near Nelsons Ledges back in the mid eighties with 1/4 inch wet suit no hood. Oh forgot to tell you that there was about 1/8 inch of ice on the surface and it was snowing. Got love getting your rescue diver certification in those conditions.
banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back