5w30 Schaeffer's in a Hemi 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in my new Ram 1500 using the 9000 5w30 (since i had a 24qt stash of it from my previous truck) instead of the recommended 5w20. Does anyone know of any MDS issues using 5w30 in this generation Hemi?

My father has an a 2010 with the hemi with MDS we've used 5w30 and 10w30, towing regular driving with no issues. basically same reason lots of it laying around also use 0W 20 HGMO AS well with good results. if I remember correctly in the book it says for towing or extreme driving to use 5w30 or 10w30 I don't remember off the top of my head though .

Thanks. I didnt see it being an issue, but after lurking on some of the Ram forums some of those guys make it sound like the lifters were going to self destruct or something. lol

Try the search function. This topic has been covered countless times.

Mds is unaffected by oil viscosity.

Think about it. In the winter the oil is very thick,yet mds still works. Now oil thickened by sub freezing temps in much thicker than the difference between a 20 and 30 grade.
My family has 5 hemis that I service. My charger has mds. Mds works the same with 5w-20 and 0w-40. And everything in between. I haven't tried a 50 grade in a hemi and considering my stash I likely won't.

So ignore the nonsense that mds won't work right with thicker oil. I've got 3/4 of a million miles on 5 hemi engines that says otherwise.

Originally Posted By: dmaxtech
Thanks. I didnt see it being an issue, but after lurking on some of the Ram forums some of those guys make it sound like the lifters were going to self destruct or something. lol

Total nonsense. Ask them how in winter mds works when the oil is molasses thick. Here in sask we get real winters and temps can drop to -40c and colder. Even in those brutal cold temps mds engaged on every hemi we've got. So to even try to suggest otherwise is hilarious

Thanks Clevy. Ive been a gm tech for 16 years but this Ram/Hemi is new and different to me. Knowing exactly how gm's afm works, i couldn't see chryslers mds operating much differently. And i know gm's afm isn't sensitive to oil viscosity.

The only thing I've noticed driving the modern Hemi is that even on 0w20, the oil pressure runs crazy high. I really doubt the car will know any different though.

Using 0w20 in mine. On some of the ram forums a few have mentioned a check engine light using a 30w or 40w. The check engine code is for mds.

But plenty have also been claiming to run 5w30 or 0w30 with no issues.

I say use it. The worse that can happen is a check engine light that doesn't effect engine performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back