5w30 ok for 04' Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and the g.f. one girlfriend just bought a 04' Civic VP and she asked me if it would be ok to use 5w30 in it. I said I dont think it will hurt anything. It has 90,000 on it. She is a student and does like 10% short trip driving also.

thanks in advance

adam

It will be fine, although I would use the 5w20 recommended unless you were driving it like a race car or had it modified, 30 weight is not going to hurt or help it.

Thanks Brenden, and she is studying diesel engines, and pretty smart, but I think sometimes she thinks like my real dad who would tell her/me, "you need 10w30 at least for any engine".

thanks again Brenden

adam

I would use m1 0w20 AFE all year round in her d17

If it burns oil though it may get spendy to keep topping off with M1

Yeah, her car has less miles than mine, and has the 1.7 4cyl. Mine has almost 130k and doesnt use any or leak or burn any and I am using PYB 5w20 currently at 5-6k oci

adam

Oops,
I meant to type 5w30 oil....
33.gif
not 5w20.

Either was that 1.7L engine will last 1 million miles with any brand dino oil.

5w-30 vs 5w-20 in that engine is really a "whatever floats your boat" type of deal.

Use whichever you can find in a name-brand cheapest.

She is like me; going to just use 5w20 PYB. I may use some Brad Penn 5w30 a friend of mine gave me yesterday, as he gave me two cases of 5w30 SM Brad Penn. Could I(meaning myself) use the Brad Penn 5w30 in my 03' civic with the same 4cyl? If not I may give it away, any takers?

adam

I'd gladly take the oil, but if I were you, I'd use it.
The 5W-30 is not going to hurt that engine at all, nor will you see any measurable loss in fuel economy.
Your engine is speced for thicker oils in other markets, maybe because 5W-20 is not available everywhere.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd gladly take the oil, but if I were you, I'd use it.
The 5W-30 is not going to hurt that engine at all, nor will you see any measurable loss in fuel economy.
Your engine is speced for thicker oils in other markets, maybe because 5W-20 is not available everywhere.

My answer on this question for this car used to be yes, if its a Honda Civic seek out and find a 5W-30, ANY 5W-30, and use it. Not anymore. Not with all that i know now, and have basically verified, with few exception.

My answer now is that the 5W-30 will NOT hurt your car, but id use 5W-20, and a cheap (to buy, not made) one at that. Supertech.

Supertech 5W-20 at Walmart will fit the bill. If you have Walmart you have the oil.

There are folks that put M1 15W-50 in their Civics and it does well on that too.

FINALLY, I find the TRUTH. Thank you FDCG27 for the informative and honest answer as to why I SHOULD use 5w30 oil in that engine. I heard that the 5w20 is because of CAFE B.S. reasons. My friend that has a 99' Accord with the 4cyl and manual trans, is using 5w30 in his car. Car has 325k on it now and all on 5w30 super tech conventional. I plan to use the two cases of 5w30 SM Brad Penn oil after this 6k run with the 5w20 pyb.

Thank you fdcg27 for the honest answer on the 5w30 oil grade question. The g.f.'s friend is going to still use the 5w20 PYB. I will be doing the oil changes on the car.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
The brad penn that I just got for free is 5w30 and I see NO reason its not ok to use. After I use that up I may go back to usin 5w20 ST conventional

+1 Go with that, thats the correct answer to this thread.

I dont want to argue with anyone here. I am just stating what I know from firsthand people that have used 5w30 in HONDA/ACURAS. Tell me also 45ACP, why did for years honda/acura and even toyota state on the oil cap to use 5w30 oil? There are no correct answers in this thread also. My car has almost 131k on it, and I got the Brad Penn oil FOR FREE. If I had not got this oil I would have used ST 5W20 since it is like $10.78 out here in PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back