5W20 or 5W30 - Max Engine Life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I questioned a Kia Tech on which oil to run since 2007 Kia Sedona V6 and 2011 Kia Forte I4 engines state in the manual: Can run either 5W20 or 5W30 ...preferably 5W30 in hotter climates (Brownsville Texas , Key West , Florida ?) ...So I asked the Kia Tech which one to run and he replied : " For best gas milieage run 5W20 , for max engine life run 5W30" . For sake of arguement, I'm only considering synthetic (QSUD , PP , M1)and would like to get 200K+ miles out of both vehicles with a 7500 mile / 6 month OCI schedule ... Which grade oil would you use or does it matter ?

I'd lean towards the 5w30. Can't hurt and only help. I only suggest going up one grade. Car is high mileage too so a 5w30 may help a bit.

36.gif

The environmental benefit of mpg savings from Xw20 oils cannot make up for all of the early engine deaths and cars that are now in the junkyards because of this too thin oil spec -- oh, wait, that hasn't actually happened.

In the hotter Georgia climate, a 5W-30 is preferred and will (likely) have a similar viscosity as a 20-weight oil in a state that is 20*F. cooler.

Why not do a run of each and see what your engine wear numbers look like? Then you will know for sure.

Im amazed that After hundreds of thousands of mustangs, f-150s and Hondas since 2001 running 2-3 hundred thousand miles reliably on 5w20 people are still doubting it.... I'm betting wear rates would be identical between the two.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Im amazed that After hundreds of thousands of mustangs, f-150s and Hondas since 2001 running 2-3 hundred thousand miles reliably on 5w20 people are still doubting it.... I'm betting wear rates would be identical between the two.

They might very well be the same; I've seen a couple of incredibly good UOAs for Ford's 5.0 using 5w20. However some engines may need the extra viscosity; IMO a UOA is needed.

It can't. But it can suggest which could be better. Subject to interpretation for sure.

I don't think that big sump engines like the Coyote are relevant as the Kia is a small sump motor.

Twas mine I'd use 30w.

Either grade should give you a mere 200K of engine life.
Whether choice of grade will make any difference in the ultimate life of an engine has long been a matter of debate here.
Since Hyundai gives you the choice, I'd probably run an OCI of each in the same brand and type of oil just to determine whether you saw any differences in fuel economy or engine sound and smoothness.
My guess is that you'd see no measurable change in fuel consumption and that you'd find the 5W-30 to seem smoother and quieter.
WRT wear, those who really know all work in engine design and development and they aren't posting here.
Remember that unless a grade is grossly unsuited to an engine, which wouldn't be the case here, a UOA will tell you very little about engine wear.

Originally Posted By: tig1
How can a UOA tell us which oil is better?

There may be no noticeable difference; however if one oil didn't protect as well as the other, you would expect more wear metals to be present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back