5w20 or 5w30 for a Mitsubishi Galant 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have been researching the different benefits of oil weights and have read some posts that it is ok to run 5w20 with this older card?

Currently the car has 129k and uses very little oil. Sometimes it might use a 1/2 quart every 3000 oci. I have also been looking at switching to a High Mileage oil (Castrol, Penzoil, SuperTech, Mobile One). The car has no visible signs of leaks. Additionally, this car is used for business travel - lots of stop and go traffic as well as highway miles. 20k+ annually.

Is there any pros/cons to switching to 5w20? Or would I be better off sticking with 5w30 and going to a High Mileage oil.

Any input would be appreciated.

If its all stock internally stick to the weight the manual says, which i assume is 5w30.

And oil consumption that early? id make sure it was up to snuf maintenance wise, for sure spend 3 dollars to replace the PVC valve, that might be the problem.

Maxlife sucks in these cars. It's way too thick for our engines. If you stick with PYB 5w30 with normal OCI's, you will be fine. I'm on my 3rd Mitsubishi Galant and all of them have been reliable (minus wrecking them)

If given a choice by the manufacture to go with 5W-20 or 5W-30,
MaxLife 5W-30 would be my natural selection. Most definitely.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Brenden
If its all stock internally stick to the weight the manual says, which i assume is 5w30.

And oil consumption that early? id make sure it was up to snuf maintenance wise, for sure spend 3 dollars to replace the PVC valve, that might be the problem.

Good advise, check the PCV and use 5W30 which IIRC is what the mfg specs for that car. PYB would be my first choice for a dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back