5W-30 instead of 0W-20 for 2016 Toyota Camry 2.5 Hybrid

0W-20 is the label on the oil cap in 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I went to a parts shop to buy oil and the seller said it is better to use 5W-30 for hot weather, he said 5W-30 will protect the engine better than 0W-20 for high temperatures summer.

Is it true? Thanks
What parts shop? What seller?
Depends on where and how high that high temperature is? and the driving style?
Could be true. Problem with a 5w30 is that there are conventional, blends, and synthetics. 0w20 is typically full synthetic. So, if the 5w-30 is full synthetic, the answer is maybe. If 5w30 is a conventional or blend, I don't see it performing as well as a full synthetic.

You want the thinner oil for better flow and easier cranking during the hundreds of starts a day
Have you seen oil flow at full operating temp?
The difference between a 0w20 and 10w40 won't be noticeable to a naked eye, as far as how quickly it gets to the top end, all else being equal. But between start/stops (when engine is off) a higher viscosity oil does theoretically drain back in the pan slower, which means more oil left on parts for the next start. With this scenario a 5W30 is a clear winner, IMHO. 5W30 Magnatec is even better. Yet personally I'd stick with 0W-40, that is widely available and carries Porsche A40 approval, but that's for another thread.

P.S. Comparing 0W20 and 10W40 hot oil flow only because those are the ones I have seen back-to-back, in the same engine with the valve cover off. Obviously the flow difference 0W20 and 5W30 will be even less at full operating temps.

The reason I made this thread here is because I made the same thread on reddit a month ago and most users there told me it's a bad idea to put different oil than what Toyota says is the recommended:

Back