5W-20 vs 5W-30 Mustang 2003 *MY* Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great group you have here!
Anyway, I'm a longtime believer in the 3k OCI and I suppose the history of my cars (every one over 200k miles, current 92 Caprice with almost 1/2 million miles on original motor/tranny) proves it works. Yes I've used the ---- Fram on occasion, but only the top tier model.

Anyhow, my 2003 4.6L Mustang GT calls for 5W-20, which I assume was used from birth as the car was dealer maintained and I am 2nd owner. I purchased at 18k miles it now has 30k miles.
I have always used either Mobil 1 *Full* Synthetic or Penzoil Synthetic Platinum but I just switched to 5W-30 because something about 5W-20 bothers me. I know about CAFE etc and I have read a number of sites claiming excessive wear with 5W-20.
I notice the motor seems quieter with Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter. It also seems to pull better and is just *smoother* for lack of a better word.
I get the occasional Ford startup rattle, even with a Motorcraft (820S I think?) filter, maybe 1 out of 40 starts, but that's about it. It lasts about 2 seconds and then the motor is smooth.

My mileage hasn't changed at all, but it's still warm here in NY.

I live in NY and do mostly highway driving and I am asking for advice?

Is there any reason to use 5W-20 and will the 5W-30 cause me problems or is this just a CAFE/Ford marketing thing because Ford changed the weight from 30 to 20 in 2001 on the Mustang. I doubt Ford redesigned th motor although I have heard urban myths about tight clearances in the 4.6L and how it's sensitive to oil weight. I assumed they meant not to use 10W-40 etc.

Any comments?
Advice?

Again thank you for a great site!

I doubt using 5W-30 will cause you any problems but I also doubt using 5W-20 will either.

That's about it. Use either and be happy. 5w-20 will work well ..and so will 5w-30. The main advantage with 5w-20, imo ..is that you're starting closer to hot visc. Probably 8X the difference of the 100C visc as opposed to the 100F visc. If your event duration is long enough, there are fewer advantages in terms of potential realized economy. I doubt that economy has much meaning in your 'Stang.

Not to bash you, but I believe that this is a pretty typical car-guy view of oil before BITOG. 3k OCIs and no 5w20!

At least you're in the right place. Now we can try and convince you that your cars would have lasted just as long if you followed your owner's manual and did 5k or 7500 mile OCIs (whatever the operating conditions called for). Especially as it seems you put a lot of miles on your car.

The 5w20 vs 5w30 for wear/MPG debate goes on for many many threads; just as the 3k OCI debate does. Hopefully you will find some information here that will take you into the 21st Century for engine protection. Oils have changed. Engines have changed. Read some of the Doc's reviews of 5w20 papers; see the UOAs on 5w20; the 200k+ engines on 5w20...it may increase your MPG, but it also protects just fine.

When Ford tested Motorcaft 5w-20, it did better than the Motorcraft 5w-30. A 5w-20 will also contain less viscosity modifiers, which shear, lead to varnish/deposits. The oil was very well tested by Ford from what I have read. You really don't need to be worried.

I'm curious as to what type of mileage people are getting out of the 4.6L Mustangs using nothing but MC or any 5w-20 conventional oil. Any Mustang forum members here?

Quote:

Not to bash you, but I believe that this is a pretty typical car-guy view of oil before BITOG. 3k OCIs and no 5w20!

At least you're in the right place. Now we can try and convince you that your cars would have lasted just as long if you followed your owner's manual and did 5k or 7500 mile OCIs (whatever the operating conditions called for). Especially as it seems you put a lot of miles on your car.

The 5w20 vs 5w30 for wear/MPG debate goes on for many many threads; just as the 3k OCI debate does. Hopefully you will find some information here that will take you into the 21st Century for engine protection. Oils have changed. Engines have changed. Read some of the Doc's reviews of 5w20 papers; see the UOAs on 5w20; the 200k+ engines on 5w20...it may increase your MPG, but it also protects just fine.

Probably true concerning the 5w-20 vs 30 debate as I am old school even at 47 years young
ooo.gif

When I say 3k what I *really mean* is more like 3-5k, haha!
Basically, I'm just continuing on with what has worked for me in the past 35 years of working on my own or families cars. My cars NEVER see an auto shop unless it's a warranty item. I'm a EE with pretty good diagnostic skills so I prefer to roll my own so to speak!

FWIW the Mustang is the first car I am using full synthetic on. All my others have run dino oil (Castrol GTX) except my 2003 Jetta which runs Syntec 5W-40.

As for filters, mostly Wix/Fram/Purolator (yea I know now) and whatever was on sale.
My history with cars:
92 Caprice almost 500,000 miles all original and runs great.
88 Eagle Premier with Volvo 760 V6 motor (sort of) 350,000 or so all original when I sold it.
87 T-bird 250,000 when I sold it all original.
2000 Dodge Caravan 145k still own it all orignal.
1983 Dodge 600 Mitsi 2.6L almost 300k all original when I sold it. None of the cars burned oil or had engine problems when I sold them.
etc....
As you can see, I tend to drive a lot
laugh.gif

Most of it is highway, but I do get into NYC a couple of times a month, not with the Mustang though
laugh.gif

For me, the cost of changing at 3-5k is worth the longetivity of the car because as you can see I do tend to keep my cars forever.
I would never go over 5k miles between changes.
Why?
My coworkers drive pretty much as many miles as I do and they follow the 7-10k OCI and not a single one have cars that last as long as I do except for one guy I know who buys Volvos and literally replaces the entire car piece by piece over time.

Quote:

When Ford tested Motorcaft 5w-20, it did better than the Motorcraft 5w-30. A 5w-20 will also contain less viscosity modifiers, which shear, lead to varnish/deposits. The oil was very well tested by Ford from what I have read. You really don't need to be worried.

I'm curious as to what type of mileage people are getting out of the 4.6L Mustangs using nothing but MC or any 5w-20 conventional oil. Any Mustang forum members here?

Thanks for the information!
I always assumed that when manufacturers test things it's to meet the warranty time frame and little else so I tend to get suspicious. I have read about Ford's testing and I agree with what you are saying.

As for mileage I get 26mpg on open highway, 22mpg combined suburban driving and about 20mpg with a lot of stop and go.
I rarely go below 20mpg.
I drive like a little old lady however and my Caprice with a 305 gets mid 20s.
My Caravan however won't go over 21 mpg no matter what I do.
I hate that car
mad.gif

Quote:

88 Eagle Premier with Volvo 760 V6 motor (sort of) 350,000 or so all original when I sold it.

HOLY keyrap that right there isn't saying something, it'sa fragging miracle!!! Althought the PRV B28F was much improved.....350000 miles is HUGE.

What I don't get is this:

Quote:

I have read a number of sites claiming excessive wear with 5W-20.

I guess the key word here is "claiming". Where are these sites? Where is the data!
banana.gif
welcome.gif

EDIT: Almost forgot. XW-20 oils happen to be kicking arsh and taking names. In cars requiring XW-20 oil, I have seen little compelling evidence to want to try another viscosity oil. There are so many GREAT XW-20 oils to choose from, with exceptional characteristics and low wear – the potential for improved MPG and more power has been relegated to a second tier good characteristic.
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Last edited:
Steve, sorry I meant mileage in terms of how many miles people are getting out of the 4.6L V8 engines? 5w-20's and the 4.6L have been around for quite some time. I'd like to know who has gone over 200,000 miles in a Mustang driving it hard using nothing but conventional oil.
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

HOLY keyrap that right there isn't saying something, it'sa fragging miracle!!! Althought the PRV B28F was much improved.....350000 miles is HUGE.

What I don't get is this:

Quote:

I have read a number of sites claiming excessive wear with 5W-20.

I guess the key word here is "claiming". Where are these sites? Where is the data!
banana.gif
welcome.gif

EDIT: Almost forgot. XW-20 oils happen to be kicking arsh and taking names. In cars requiring XW-20 oil, I have seen little compelling evidence to want to try another viscosity oil. There are so many GREAT XW-20 oils to choose from, with exceptional characteristics and low wear – the potential for improved MPG and more power has been relegated to a second tier good characteristic.
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Yea that Volvo/Renault/whomever motor was a dog although mine ran great. It was the rest of the car, mostly the electrical system, that was a nightmare.

Here is one site with the 5W-20:

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

Of course they are selling Synlube so take it with a grain of salt.

Naturally I can't locate any others when I need to, mostly because Amsoil has *contaminated* the search engines and just about any search argument on oil+* brings up some Amsoil site somewhere.

Oh no! Synlube has been mentioned in the thread. Well, it only gets worse from here on out. Just kidding. Er, maybe not. Anyway, Synlube is a perfect example of the anyone, anywhere can post anything on the www. If they told me the sky was up, my reaction would be to look down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back