5w-20 Syn Valvoline Vs. Pennzoil Platinium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If forced with the choice I would say Platinum, it meets HTO-06, is a proven performer, and seems to have superior TBN retention.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
If forced with the choice I would say Platinum, it meets HTO-06, is a proven performer, and seems to have superior TBN retention.

agreed, if price was exactly the same.

Fiesta? Cheapest brand name conventional oil! PYB, VWB, GTX, QS, take your pick.

Originally Posted By: Noey
brand new, Ford Fiesta grocery getter..which one and why? What say thee...

Lucky man!! Ive been envying those cars over my yaris. Such a nice looking ride. Anyway Platinum is a fantastic oil at a reasonable price. Right now Synpower is on rollback for $21 on 5qts, otherwise its $25 and thats a skipper over M1 and PP.

Just check the differenc in the add packs, will make your decision easy.
Originally Posted By: Noey
brand new, Ford Fiesta grocery getter..which one and why? What say thee...

Originally Posted By: webfors
Fiesta? Cheapest brand name conventional oil! PYB, VWB, GTX, QS, take your pick.

Why anti-synthetic just because of it being a Fiesta? Who cares if it isn't a performance car-- when syn can be purchased at the same cost of dino (or cheaper in some cases) I see no reason why it shouldn't be used. Internals still get hot, he may be a spirited driver, he may want long OCIs, etc..

I would get the cheapest of the two, both are great oils and they both have Ford's spec. I believe. If you are elegibile for the rebate I would go that route for now just to get the deal. After that whatever is cheapest of the two...although I would expand to say whatever the cheapest syn. on the shelf is.

Both are excellent oils. Price is probably the only difference here. Valvoline is not an "extended drain" oil. But if you are not doing extended drains anyway (12-15K+miles) then it doesn't even matter. Both are top shelf products.

It might not be a Maserati, but it still is my car and I want the 'Best' for it. I don't think the price of the car should be the determining factor in which oil I use.

I'm looking for 'Best' protection against wear, esp. since many/most of it's drives will be short distance. I'm accustomed to GTX and 3k changes, so long intervals aren't that important, maybe 4-5k? Also, it's a 1.6 liter, so i suspect I'll be using the upper revs more. I'm new to all this high tech oil stuff, so i don't understand the real differences btw'n a syn blend and a full syn, there's something about a 'blend' that sounds like a short cut to me..am I wrong? Does MC SB offer the same protection as , say, PP?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: webfors

Why anti-synthetic just because of it being a Fiesta? Who cares if it isn't a performance car-- when syn can be purchased at the same cost of dino (or cheaper in some cases) I see no reason why it shouldn't be used. Internals still get hot, he may be a spirited driver, he may want long OCIs, etc..

No, because it won't make a difference in the long term if he sticks to the manufacturer recommended OCI. I'm not anti-syn, just anti-common sense. I've used syn on and off for many years, but there's no logical reason for me to have. I still have a few jugs of PP, with a nice stash of PYB coming up next that cost me half as much.

Read the manual, follow the instructions. If it says use synthetic, then that's what I would recommend.

I drive a Corolla, I'm not anti-smart-economical cars either. I love them and I honestly think conventional is great for those cars!

Well, if you can get it cheaper than conventional, then I'm all for it
grin.gif

If you're not going to go more than 5k, you're not gaining any advantage by using a synthetic.

Honestly, any name brand conventional will protect your engine as well as a synthetic for a 3-5k OCI.

Advance Auto Parts has Quaker State conventional on sale this month for $1.99 a quart.

Valvoline Synpower has a lower starting TBN than PP, but you aren't planning extended OCI's anyway. I've seen Synpower UOA's for OCI's over 8K miles where there was enough TBN left to run the oil a little longer.

I run 10W30 Synpower in my Sonata 3.3L which gets plenty of throttle romping and short 5 mile trips. My wear metals were very low on my first UOA - you can check it out here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1938614

Congrats on your new Ford! Nice little car! I bought a Focus recently as well. I suggest you read up on the trends which talk about when to do the first oil change, say 1000 miles. Interesting reading. I changed out the oil/filter @ 1k mi. on my Focus w/ MotorCraft Syn. Blend 5w-20 and MC-910S Filter. (The Factory Fill is Motorcraft Syn. Blend oil so what could it hurt?) If it was me, I'd use the MC Syn. Blend oil for the first three oil changes (1000, 3750, 7500mi) then decide if you'd like to go w/full synthetic. Ford manual states 6mo/7500mi oil/filter changes under "normal" driving conditions. If you're not comfortable going 7.5k mi between oil changes, then a conventional or semi-blend makes more sense if you do 3750/3750 mi. oil changes. Enjoy your new car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back