5W-20 second thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
""Used to drive an Electra 225 convertible with a 425 nailhead dom~1965; and I was a terror with that beauty""

OMG---the man must have a guardian angel

From your description of the traffic patterns and stop lights, my guess is you live around Salm NH

I think I'll skip the usual run to the NH state liquor store next time I am up that way

Steve
Nope, not Salem. I drive 25-35 mph up through rt28 in Salem - thats a business district. So, I cant accelerate to 60 MPH "spiritedly" and safely on a non-posted or 55 posted Highway?
Please explain.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Stevie, I'm not bashing 20 wt oils, I just think they are like soup du'jour, that's all.

However, I doubt that they provide "better protection" for any engine.

And I doubt 5-30 provides better protection.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

... I have made a personal commitment to never break the speed limit or talk on the cellphone while driving, it is not easy but for 6 months I have not busted my VDR in my worktruck nor broken these rules in my personal vehicles) Driving is the riskiest thing any of us do and I don't want to introduce extra risk into the activity.
Thanks for your concern. Highways are designed for 80MPH in the 1950's and fatalities have gone DOWN as the speed have gone (back) UP. The thru lane (passing) traffic moves at 75-85 every day and the cops allow it due to the overcrowded commute. Please folks, Just stay out of the passing lane if you're not passing, and hang up the phone thats all I ask. Driving 65 on an interstate is a waste of infrastructure. If I was "King:,I would propose only "advanced" drivers use the thru lanes and should be licensed as such and have special tag ID on the plates; this would keep the "traffic speed controllers" out of the left lane and allow long distance commuters to make resonable time (and stay awake). I suffer ADD and fall asleep at slower speeds - a common issue with ADD sufferers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Bryanccfshr said:
...The thru lane (passing) traffic moves at 75-85 every day and the cops allow it due to the overcrowded commute. Please folks, Just stay out of the passing lane if you're not passing, and hang up the phone thats all I ask...

Amen to that. I believe you can be ticketed (severally) in Germany for just coasting in the left lane of the Autobahn.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: hate2work

Stevie, I'm not bashing 20 wt oils, I just think they are like soup du'jour, that's all.

However, I doubt that they provide "better protection" for any engine.

And I doubt 5-30 provides better protection.

But I bet 5w40/50 does!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Proper running viscosity is the #1 criterion for a motor oil. The trick is proper for your application.

I have to disagree. It's meaningless to say that one parameter is most important, when multiple factors are all critical in and of themselves.

For example, let's say your car calls for an SAE 30, API-SL oil. Would you choose to run an SAE 30 API-SA oil over a 10w-30 API-SL? The SA has virtually none of the additive package that comes with the SL (or SM for that matter). The detergents, the dispersants, the AW and EP additives are all critical to the function of the oil in the engine. Would you choose to use the non-additive 30 wt SA oil, instead of either a 5w-20 or going the other way, perhaps a 5w- or 10w-40?

You've got to look at all of an oil's characteristics to determine which one will work best in any given situation. And finally, if viscosity is the number 1 criterion, then why does my owner's manual contain such vague "wiggle words":
Z-TCH-Manual-p2-DLV-v2.jpg

It doesn't seem that Toyota is too concerned with owners staying at one precise best viscosity.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

My "Japanese" is a bit rusty, but roughly translated this says: "If you care about anything other than mileage, you'll put real motor oil in this car."

Originally Posted By: Gurney

My "Japanese" is a bit rusty, but roughly translated this says: "If you care about anything other than mileage, you'll put real motor oil in this car."

You got it!

I'm thinking straight 60 WT is the only way to be safe!

Esp in a Toyota Hybrid...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

You got it!

crackmeup2.gif
Ahhh, I love it. You read my mind Bill -- I'm saving that special case of Valvo SAE 60 for next February!
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

You need more Japanese classes. I will concede otherwise when you show me where they're hiding all the prematurely failed 2001 Fords and Hondas, killed early by 5w-20 oil. . .
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

You got it!

crackmeup2.gif
Ahhh, I love it. You read my mind Bill -- I'm saving that special case of Valvo SAE 60 for next February!
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Now wait...

If I'm going to run the 60wt up here in cold Utah... You could get by with a "REAL OIL" like the 70wt down there in FL!
01.gif

You can get it in the "Gear Lube" section of your local Walmart. They label it "Gear Lube" because they don't want anyone to know that this is the real good stuff!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
20.gif
Sounds like Manly oil!
Oh it is... You even get far worse fuel economy and shorter engine life so you can rebuilt it quicker like a real man!

Use only with an Orange-Can filter for best results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back