5 Dead in Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OldSparks
Originally Posted By: BigD1
After coming from Canada, he got the gun from his baggage. Does Canada not scan baggage?

Not so. Came from Alaska on Delta. Does TSA scan baggage?

What's the difference. You can check a gun. There is a procedure to follow at the airport to check it.

Quote:
Multiple senior law enforcement sources identified the suspect as New Jersey born Esteban Santiago, 26, and said he had a military ID on him. The military said he had served in the Puerto Rico National Guard and was deployed to Iraq for 10 months.

Quote:
Federal law enforcement officials told NBC News that Santiago was undergoing treatment for mental health problems, complaining that he was hearing voices.

A few months ago, he walked into the FBI's office in Anchorage, claiming that the CIA was forcing him to join ISIS, the officials said. Officials say local police were called, and he went voluntarily to a mental health facility for treatment.

So he was nuts AND he had "voices in his head" telling him to join ISIS? But he was still allowed to have a firearm?

Originally Posted By: oldhp
They should stand the "suspect up against a wall" and shoot him/her for doing a terrorist act. To me, when you knowingly commit these terrorist types of acts you have no rights whats so ever. My opinion.

While I can feel your thoughts, I'd rather that the attending authorities had simply put a number of rounds through his legs so that he could live out the rest of his life in a Florida or federal prison as a cripple.
OTOH, he's got a rude awakening coming in his future life. He'll spend the rest of it as a high security inmate and will be subject to the whims of any correctional employee he encounters.
He had his moment of glory and will now live as an object of no significance for the rest of his natural life, unless he gets to live a number of years of that life on a very high security death row somewhere and is then eventually strapped down to a gurney and killed in cold blood.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
You can legally have a firearm and ammo in a checked bag.

You can, but the magazines are not supposed to be loaded and the ammo has to be in a separate container while the gun is locked. TSA will inspect the firearm when you both arrive and depart. One of my friends had his CCW Glock stolen by the TSA in Las Vegas. They did not care.
Hopefully he filed a police report for the lost/stolen gun.

Yup, LVPD would only take it in person. Filed a report in Santa Maria where the flight landed. Reported it to BAFTE. Called TSA and they didn't care, said it was probably someone else and to leave them alone. He is filling a small claims case against the airline also. Firearms getting stolen by TSA in Vegas is pretty common actually. They arrested a TSA agent with a bunch of stolen LEO firearms a week or so before my friend flew there.

I told him to also sue Pelican since the TSA destroyed his Pelican case to get at the gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
They should stand the "suspect up against a wall" and shoot him/her for doing a terrorist act. To me, when you knowingly commit these terrorist types of acts you have no rights whats so ever. My opinion.

I agree!! No trial. Instant execution. Maybe hand them over to the victim's loved ones to let them "dispose" of them.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I thought federal prison wasn't that bad to serve in ?

Cops should have shot him.

Why? To satisfy simpleton's idea of justice.

There is always potential information to extract from a suspect especially in severe acts. Dead ones never reveal much.

Prisons are pretty much the same regardless of what authority runs them.
If you're an older white collar thief and are no physical threat to anyone older than a toddler, you'll likely go to a nice minimum security camp, unless they're trying to sweat you for information on others they seek to prosecute, in which case you'll go somewhere much harder.
If you're a schizophrenic who hears and has acted upon command voices and has committed multiple aggravated murders, then you're going to a higher security camp.
Federal or state, doesn't matter.
Where this guy spends the rest of his days and whether he's executed or not will depend entirely upon which authority indicts and tries him first.
That also doesn't matter in that this young man will never walk outside of a double razor wire fence again.
Imagine being twenty six years old and knowing that your world will never extend beyond a prison compound again.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I told him to also sue Pelican since the TSA destroyed his Pelican case to get at the gun.

Why would someone try to sue Pelican when the TSA destroyed the case?

Lots of low life crooked TSA agents ... they need to do undercover and prosecute the scumbags.

As far as the shooter at the airport ... there are an infinite number of 'soft targets' in public places where any terrorist or mental person could kill mass people. It's the price of 'freedom'. As time goes on and these incidents keep occurring over and over, all these areas will be crawling with armed security everywhere. Or maybe just let everyone open carry and they can all unload on any a-hole who steps out of line.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
There is still a search going on for more active shooters after shots reported in the parking garage.

Translation- The cops are outside crouching behind their squad cars setting up a "perimeter" until the shooting stops.

Mental disability and possibility of joining ISIS and somehow he was released from the mental facility and allowed to have a gun? What an oversight.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Mental disability and possibility of joining ISIS and somehow he was released from the mental facility and allowed to have a gun? What an oversight.

I don't think there are any laws at this time that would take away his guns over that. Those laws will probably be coming soon, along with a law that NO ammo will go through any airport.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quote:
Multiple senior law enforcement sources identified the suspect as New Jersey born Esteban Santiago, 26, and said he had a military ID on him. The military said he had served in the Puerto Rico National Guard and was deployed to Iraq for 10 months.
Quote:
Federal law enforcement officials told NBC News that Santiago was undergoing treatment for mental health problems, complaining that he was hearing voices.

A few months ago, he walked into the FBI's office in Anchorage, claiming that the CIA was forcing him to join ISIS, the officials said. Officials say local police were called, and he went voluntarily to a mental health facility for treatment.
So he was nuts AND he had "voices in his head" telling him to join ISIS? But he was still allowed to have a firearm?

Go figure that....
Homocidal Maniac?
Homocidal Psychopath?
Schizophrenia?
CIA forcing him to join ISIS???? So he walked into an FBI office to complain about the CIA brainwashing him?

He sure went to a lot of trouble, spent a chunk of money, and flew a great distance to kill innocent people he didn't even know.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

yup. most people here believe it's a constitutional right.

he is a nutcase alright.

45.png

estaban%2Bperv.jpg

Unfortunately NOTHING can prevent these shootings.
Yep a dertermined killer surrounded by unarmed sheeple. Like a shooting gallery. So sad for all the evil in the world.

you forgot airports are crawling with armed officers as it is already.

more people carrying guns simply means there will be more incidents like this. some people snap under stress, it's a fact of life. who knows, maybe something was stolen from his bags by TSA?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Unfortunately NOTHING can prevent these shootings.
Yep a dertermined killer surrounded by unarmed sheeple. Like a shooting gallery. So sad for all the evil in the world.

you forgot airports are crawling with armed officers as it is already.

Not everywhere ... still plenty of places where a syco can get in and go on a shooting rampage.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
A law against ammo in an airport would stop such an incident? Like the law against shooting people in an airport?

Forget about "laws" that say you can't kill people ... those are the first laws a killer will ignore.

There will probably be a new law that says you can't take ammo in a carry on or in a checked in bag. TSA will screen and confiscate all ammo found ... those TSA guys will get some free ammo for themselves out of the deal. People will have to ship their ammo via UPS or similar, or go buy ammo at their destination.

All it takes is one incident like this to change laws/rules at the airport, just like a shoe bomber will forever make people take their shoes off when going through security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back