5.7 Hemi 0W30 GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Dodge 1500 4X4, 5.7 Hemi, currently using 5W30 Redline and Mopar filter, no oil analysis yet. Wondering if GC 0W30 would be an option. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

First Dodge, first Hemi, hope it serves me well.

First Dodge and First Hemi for me too. I love it but hope it holds up. I have an 04 Ram with the Hemi. I'm running Amsoil S2k 0w-30. I have 3,200 miles on the oil. I looke forward to your UOA. I doubt I will stick with S2k. I have plenty of oils I would like to try. Synergyn 3w-30, German Castrol (if I can find it consistantly), Mobil 1 0w-40 and Amsoil 5w-30. This is the first engine I've owned that hasn't used a drop of oil. I drive fairly hard. It's hard not too. BTW, did you get the lastest flash done for your tranny? Made a difference.
cheers.gif

Hope mine holds up too...it is hard to keep ypur foot out of it...drives and handles great. Plan on giving it all the TLC I can afford. Drove Chevys for a lot of years...rode'em hard and never had a problem. Would like to try the GC 0W30 Castrol, it's the "0" part I'm worried about. They had about 4 cases at the local parts store today.

The GC 0w-30 is one of the best all year round oils you can buy right now. Grab it! Don't worry about the 0w. You don't need it in Florida, but it won't matter bc it's a thick 30wt when hot. I think it's a great choice.

Yea, and a couple a bucks cheaper than the Redline. May be making a trip back to the patrs store today. I know they're both great lubes but I've heard some much good stuff about the GC...just aching to give it a try.

quote:

Originally posted by sully:
Hope mine holds up too...it is hard to keep ypur foot out of it...drives and handles great. Plan on giving it all the TLC I can afford. Drove Chevys for a lot of years...rode'em hard and never had a problem. Would like to try the GC 0W30 Castrol, it's the "0" part I'm worried about. They had about 4 cases at the local parts store today.

If you check the viscosity on this oil, even at 40 degrees fahrenheit, it's thicker than any other 30 weight you're likely to ever see.
I know you'll basically never get below freezing in Florida, so don't sweat it.
This oil appears to be basically *impossible* to burn.

Thanks for the input, always like to look before I leap. Know the Redline is doing the job, question is will the GC be any better other than being lighter on the wallet. Although price is not really my concern at this point.

Mine has the 3.92 gear, at 55mph the computer claims approx 18.5, have seen 19.4. At 65 it drops to about 16.8-17.0. Haven't had the opportunity to check it at 70-75. It's stock except for a K&N drop filter. I run the tires at 35psi for what it worth. I'm sure a tonneau cover would help.

That's with 89 octane. Changing over to the Redline 5w30 appeared to have helped. Depends on the traffic when driving in town and right now it's pretty bad....lotsa extra folks in Pensacola helping to rebuild after Ivan whacked us.
13.0 to 15.0 city

Have a '04, 1500 Hemi Quad cab, 3.92 gears, 20" tires, myself.

Have either one of you guys had any problem with the "Hemi Tick" yet? Actually I think it is lifter noise.

At this time I am using , Pennsoil 5w-30, at next oil change I will be going with Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend. I have not done any UOA and I don't plan on doing any. Using the schedule B maintenance schedule, it calls for an oil change at 3000 mile intervals. I understand with synthetic that OCI can be extended and if I were paying more than 1.50$ for oil I might consider it.

Why ignore the recommendation to use 10w-30 or 5w-30? With the reputation that this engine has for lifter/valve train noise why use what is reportedly a heavier/thicker oil. A couple of the other local Hemi owners have gone to using 5w-20 in order to quiet the "tick".

One of the other things you guys will need to watch are brake rotors, locally I have seen several Dodge 1500s with warped rotors. Also some of the earlier '04s have a problem with gear searching while towing, but an update is available for that.

I have 5500 miles on mine right now and so far so good, no tick, no rotor problems, and I have the tranny update.

Something else, the gas mileage as read on the computer is an adverage of gas used over the period of time since the last reset of the computer. Mine is sometimes off by as much as 2 MPG. I have found the only reliable method of determining MPG is by using the old fashion math. Most every one around here is getting 13.9 - 14.9 mpg around town and 16.5 - 17.9 on the hwy.

What do you guys think about the power? The last truck I had was a Dodge 1500, regular cab, 3.9 V-6. Talk about a BIG difference. Have either one of you done any type of performance or appearance modifications?

Mine has 19000 and so far no problems...if its ticking I haven't heard it.

My computer averages are for 20-25 miles runs and then I reset it. I've checked it at the pump and it was within .2 mpg.

Oil is cheap compared to engine rebuilds...any edge I can get makes me sleep better. I'm not convinced thinner oil solves the "tick" anyway. Seen it blamed on injectors too. What ever is causing it Dodge ain't telling. The 0w30 GC is supposedly excellent lube for less than $5 a qt. I'm paying $7.95 for the Redline. Is it worth it, ask me again in a 100K. As for Dodge's recommendations...now they are going to 5W20. Wonder how this will effect engine life... in my opinion(for what its worth)that's thin oil for a 345HP pushrod engine.
No mods to mine except for K&N filter, plan on getting a soft tonneau cover.
Power is great...hope you have good luck with yours.

I can't see where 0w-30 vs 5w-30 would be a problem. Remember, 0 vis cold is still thicker than 30 vis at operating tempurature. If anything it should flow better and reach the moving parts sooner at a cold tempurature start which should be better don't you think??.
dunno.gif

I have 4,000 miles and no ticking. I broke the truck in hard, as it said to in the manual. I then switched over to Amsoil. No oil buring or ticking. Hopefully it won't start. I think this engine begs to be pushed. You can't baby it too much. The trans is fully computerized and I highly recommend getting the latest flash for it. Any oil will do, with GC/M1/Amsoil/ being my top choices. The Motorcraft and Pennzoil dino oils are excellent as well.

I have the 3.92 rear and running Amsoil 75w-90 in it. I have hit 22mpg but that didn't last long. I usually avg. 18-21 mpg @ 65-70mph. At 80mph I'm around 17mpg. I don't trust the computer read out.

Buster, your milage is better than mine, at 80mph I doubt that I would get 16mpg. Am also running syn 75w90 in the rear. Maybe I need to look into this trans flash...got more info...exactly what does it change. Are you ruunning any other mods?
What oil and octane do you run?

I just put 93 octane for the first time. I think it made a difference although the weather is much cooler today. I've been running 89.

The TSB improves the shift points and you'll get much better/smoother acceleration. It's for the Tow/Haul mode but it also improves the regular shifting as well. I highly recommend you do it. Everyone who has had it done has noticed it.

Sully
Check your build date, most of the 04s that need the flash were put together before 3/04.

The flash changes the shift points, makes them a little higher. Also throttle response is improved. The TSB number is TSB 18-041-04. Lots more info on the Dodge Forum that I visit. Not sure if it okay to post a link, so if you would like the link to the forum let me know, via PM.

Why put Amsoil in the differential? Doesn't synthetic lube already come in it?

Dodge is recommending 5w-20 in the new vehicles with the cylinder deactivation system. Something to do with how the cylinders are deactivated. As far as I am being told the 04, 5.7 will remain 5w-30. However I have seen some discussion and varying opinions, so maybe Dodge has changed it and I just haven't kept up. And for what it's worth I am sticking with the 5w-30.

I use the truck to tow a medium weight boat 4000#, it does a fantastic job. While towing the boat it performs so well that I can forget the boat is back there.

I run regular gas. 87 octane. Midgrade gas 89 is the suggested fuel with regular being acceptable. To tell the truth I haven't seen any difference in the MPG or performance of the two grades. Checked the MPG today, computer 14.0, math 13.2. I reset the computer at every fillup.

Thanks for all the info, didn't mean to get into all the Hemi stuff on this forum. Plan on doing a UOA (Redline 5w30) in the not to distant future. Will probably try the GC 0w30 on the next oil change, give it a round or two and then do a UOA on it also. You know, I ran Castrol 10w30 GTX in my trucks for probably 15 years with no problems. The Chevy Silverado (350) had 94,000 on it when it was stolen out of my driveway and the only thing I had ever done was regular service and replace the belt and battery, the oil level never moved on the dipstick even at close to 100,000 miles. Pulled a 17.5 ft boat many a mile with it too. Regular service with dino does provide excellent protection.

A question, what does a pushrod engine have to do with oil viscosity. Also the differential is full of break in metal and dirt, it is a good idea to change it. I am not sure Redline engine oil is worth the $7.95. 100,000 miles with any quality oil would just get the engine ready for the next 100,000 miles. What is the advantage of a K@N airfilter? PS how long are your oil change intervals. Syn oil is a waste of money for less than 5,000 mile oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back