2021 ram 1500 5.7 hemi; PP 5w-20 5k mi

Looking better than ever on this last run! I'm happy to hear the good news that the high wear is trending down. Thanks for the update & I don't know if you mentioned it but what kind of weight does your RV scale?

4,000 miles and 2 oil changes later Iron has dropped down to 10. Not sure why the 1st two samples had elevated iron. Perhaps from sitting all winter and never really getting up to operating temps when it was used to burn off any condensation? Either way current oil sample has 2500 miles on the oil and all of that was towing a travel trailer. I saw temps as high as 260 at times when going thru the rockies. I also tried Valvoline Advanced Extended Protection and a Fram Titanium filter because it got it onsale much cheaper than the PUP and mopar filter i have been using.

What an amazing report compared to your previous two, bet that's a huge relief.

I run either PP or PUP in all my vehicles but after reading about and seeing an odd vid here or there, I think I am going to try to stick with just PUP going forward. I've never sent in a sample from either vehicle but I am liking the UOA's better from members using PUP better than those that use just the PP.

Looking better than ever on this last run! I'm happy to hear the good news that the high wear is trending down. Thanks for the update & I don't know if you mentioned it but what kind of weight does your RV scale?
just 6000lbs

Glad to see the engine appears to be doing what it’s supposed to. I bought a new 21 1500 5.7 in October 21. I ran the factory fill to 2500 miles ish and put in Pennzoil platinum 5-20 and a Mopar filter (for warranty). I had a huge 3000-4000 mile towing trip coming up right after the oil change and my first UOA included that. 4000-4500lb trailer and maxed out on payload. Attached the UOA for reference. Haven’t done another but will submit one at my 55k oil change to see how it looks. 7500 mile OCIs.

Iron and copper high but it was barely broken in and working fairly hard. They say the copper comes from washing out the oil cooler. My 10 hemi always ran slightly higher than universal averages on iron but it towed most weeks in the summer and I drove much harder back then. Iirc it was always in the 40-50 PPM.
IMG_2752.jpeg

Last edited:
I was looking at HEMI UOA's the other day on one of the RAM forums and I saw no noticeable difference between any brand of oil. They all look statistically about the same whether it was Red Line, PUP or QS.

I think the B10 engine rating for this engine, whatever it is, is likely to be the same regardless of brand at appropriate intervals.

Last edited:
Back