5/40 in Ford 7.3 gas?

We had the Ford dealer tell us we need to run oils with higher zinc in them when they replaced one of our 7.3l out of 4 units. The cam and lifters disintegrated at 87k miles, Ford paid for a new long block for us. Still cost us a lot for labor but I would agree to the Delvac 5w40 100%.

We had the Ford dealer tell us we need to run oils with higher zinc in them when they replaced one of our 7.3l out of 4 units. The cam and lifters disintegrated at 87k miles, Ford paid for a new long block for us. Still cost us a lot for labor but I would agree to the Delvac 5w40 100%.

What was the build date on that truck? Ford did have issues with delaminating cams especially in the motorhome variants, but I thought this was mostly a "bad batch" type of thing. Are they still having trouble with recent engines/cams?

Reactions: wlk
Has nothing to do with ZDDP and everything to do with the lowest-bid Chinesium that the parts are made out of. Where the heat treatment is done by Ray Charles and the QC checks performed by Stevie Wonder.

What was the build date on that truck? Ford did have issues with delaminating cams especially in the motorhome variants, but I thought this was mostly a "bad batch" type of thing. Are they still having trouble with recent engines/cams?
These were 2021 trucks, E450 ambulances actually.
Has nothing to do with ZDDP and everything to do with the lowest-bid Chinesium that the parts are made out of. Where the heat treatment is done by Ray Charles and the QC checks performed by Stevie Wonder.
I agree but that was there recommendation going forward.

Last edited:
Probably also why they didn't balk at being out of warranty and they covered all the parts. They know it's an issue just haven't made the recall yet.

Why create a solution for a problem that does not exist? Why do people think they are smarter than the OEM with millions of miles of data, testing and top engineers? To each their own. Hopefully it works out for you and your engine. To me, its a bad bet against the house. Just how I roll.
They haven't always been right.
I know Ram changed oil viscosity requirements for 3.0 diesel from Xw30 to Xw40
Ford also changed in mustang coyote from 5w20 to 5w30 from what I know

Others, outside of NA market, provide chart of aprroved viscosities based on the outside temps.

My Lexus says use 0W20, but higher viscosities oil my protect better during high speed driving and hard use, or something in this regard.

Based on that, I wouldn't be 100% sure that you can't or shouldn't go outside of what is spec'd in car manual, given to you with the car in our market.

Eric

Probably also why they didn't balk at being out of warranty and they covered all the parts. They know it's an issue just haven't made the recall yet.
I wonder how much of a fight it was to get Ford to cover the new engine, less labour while being out of warranty. I’m at almost 4,000 engine hours on my 2020 7.3L so I’ve been watching this issue close. I’ve seen lots of examples of 2022 trucks with the issues. Can’t recall if I’ve seen a 23/24.

Reactions: wlk
I might have spoke too soon.
This could prove to be the cam/lifter issue on a 2024

I wonder how much of a fight it was to get Ford to cover the new engine, less labour while being out of warranty. I’m at almost 4,000 engine hours on my 2020 7.3L so I’ve been watching this issue close. I’ve seen lots of examples of 2022 trucks with the issues. Can’t recall if I’ve seen a 23/24.
We have a fleet over 40 E450's and they didn't balk at all. Our head mechanic used to work for the dealership we use for 20 years and when we dropped it off he told the head service writer they were going to cover it. The service writer said they would work it out no problem and it was no fight. Know a guy maybe but I feel Ford is just waiting before a recall. We have not bought any Ford's thru this dealership they just do warranty work for us. I was surprised they didn't fight us.

I might have spoke too soon.
This could prove to be the cam/lifter issue on a 2024

Ours showed up a valvetrain noise about 20k prior to the failure. Then we got misfires on the cylinder and it got noisy when it let loose.

Back