F250 7.3 Gasser Oil Dilemma

I have a new 2020 Ford F-250 with the new 7.3 liter gas engine. The owner’s manual recommends the Motor Craft synthetic blend. The ONLY other option is for extreme cold environments. It does not give any full synthetic option at all.

I’m interested in buying a maintenance plan and I have two option for oil: Synthetic blend or full synthetic. The full synthetic option is about 600 more for 8 years/100k miles with the service being done every 5k miles.

I don’t know why Ford doesn’t lost a full synthetic option for the 7.3 gas, or the 6.2 gas for that matter. Could there be a valid reason? It’s not a cost issue, as Ford recommends full synthetic for many vehicles, including the diesel truck engines.

I’m leaning towards going with the blend at every 5k miles, but hate to think I’m “cheaping out” at the expense of motor life and performance. Does anyone have any insight into these questions? Thanks!

I forgot to add some vehicle use info. I’m in central Texas, so I will see a few weeks to a month of 100* temperatures in the summer. I plan to occasionally tow a 12k lb fifth wheel. Usually not very far, except on a rare occasion into the mountains of New Mexico (800 miles maybe). The truck will be driven across my medium sized town a couple times a week maybe. Hope that helps. Thanks!

What exactly does the manual say?
It says Motorcraft synthetic blend. It’s totally silent on a full synthetic option. I can’t imagine full synthetic would hurt at the first oil change, but who knows!

New Specs as of May 01, 2020.
Ford WSS-M2C961A1 5W-30 > -20C (-4F)
Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic are certified to this standard.

Ford WSS-M2C963A1 0W-30 < -20C (-4F)
Motorcraft 0W-30 Full Synthetic is certified to the standard.

NOTE: Those are only the lower ambient temp recommendation. No Max ambient temp for either oil so you can use either in Death Valley.
API SP
ILSAC GF-6A

New cetification standards effective May 01, 2020. Older standard will be superceded after 12 months.

Ford only requires you meet recommended API Grade (5W-30 or 0W-30) and API Certification (Likey SN or SN+ in your manual) or later (New SP). Manual only says Ford Spec recommended just like they recommend the oil they make money off of (Motorcraft).

If you get a Ford Service Contract and are they require you to follow IOLM you can use the synthetic if your uncomfortable with the mileages. If they let you change every 5,000 mi (Default for accidentally reset IOLM) then the Blend will certainly do everything you need. With the 7 new tests in SP GF-6A it's going to be a good product.

You likely haven't found the Temp Charts and Oils in the specification charts because they are toward the back of the book. Ford scatters the info all over the book.

Incidentally Full Synthetic is required in Mexico per the manual.

None of my owner's manual specify the oil type. Only one of the cars specifies 0W20 ... which is syn. Never seen a dino 0W20.

As an example, I may go up to the recommended oci (7500 miles) with a good syn. With dino or syn-blend I change the oil before the recommended oci (4500 max in this case).

I also don't trust any oil to 10K. I eventually may ... but I have been brainwashed with 3K oci. :alien:

If towing and also in heat, I would use a good syn.

Last edited:
Read Page 445 for oil standards for 7.3L
Chart is on Page 446
(In the 633 page version of the manual I'mlooking at).

According to Ford you must use:
5W-30 or 0W-30.
API SN+ (Will be superceded within 12 months)
Current ILSAC standards

So as long as it's a 5W-30 or 0W-30 SN+ GF-5 or SP GF-6A you are good. I don't know where you got the idea Ford doesn't allow Synthetic. They simply list the minimum required in the manual (For both their and alternative products).

Synthetic will not harm engine or void warranty. Use oil of preference or let them do it. Synthetic Blend at 5k will be no problems but if you work it hard the IOLM will probably go off before 5k and with temps in Texas I would run Synthetic.

The key word is "Recommends". If you are going with the maintenance plan $600 more for synthetic sounds a little steep. I would go with the blend. If you decide not to go with the maintenance plan, any modern API/ILSAC synthetic 5w-30 will work fine.

I appreciate the input everyone. I found it very strange they list the full syn as an option on some trucks, but not the 6.2 and 7.3 gassers. That’s what concerned me.

This engine looks like a pretty good copy of the GM LS and I have to think it will go a quarter million miles and more on pretty much anything that meets the spec, much like a Crown Vic in the prior era.

I appreciate the input everyone. I found it very strange they list the full syn as an option on some trucks, but not the 6.2 and 7.3 gassers. That’s what concerned me.

The 0W-30 shown on the chart on page 446 is a Full Synthetic.

I'm not sure of your knowledge base so don't take this the wrong way but oils are rated at 100C (212F) for SAE Grade so the 0W-30 is the same viscosity at 212F (in practical terms) as 5W-30. The use of better base stock in the 0W-30 may mean better quicker lubrication in a cold start, less shearing and higher viscosity at 150C (302F) than the 5W-30 blend. It may be better in every condition. I don't know enough to about the construction of the ConocoPhillips Oils to say whether this is absolutely true of Motorcraft but it's not uncommon.

Many people ask why Ford recommends the 5W-30 Blend in the 3.5 TGDI (Ecoboost). The truth is just like the 87 Octane recommendation. Modern ECM is capable of making more power on 93 Octane and nothing wrong with Synthetic Oil but many are steeped in the 1960's 3,000 mi OCI and simply see a Syn Oil requirement as increased ownership cost like 93 Octane so rather than recommend a longer change using syn oil they have pushed the standards on regular oil (which are generally blends anyway) until they pass standards synthetics couldn't have passed in the old days. That way they give affordable 10,000 mi OCI to some and 3,000 mi OCI isn't cost prohibitive to others.

Add to that today's ultra low sulphur gasoline and port fuel injection and oils are going to last multiples of what it did in that old 352 FE powered 3/4 Ton.

maybe an old-timer wrote the owner's manual and is afraid of synthetic :) or maybe since its not a little turbo lawn mower it doesn't need a fancy syn.

As far as I know, only some (most?) old cars may not do well with syn. I own one. Other than that, I've never read anything about new cars not liking syn.

Thanks again gents! My oil knowledge is pretty slim. I've always just used what the manufacturer recommended. If it were not for the internet, that's what I'd do now, but the egg's been cracked and I have to settle it!

This 7.3L gasser is a port fuel injection engine. My hope is that this new engine is easier on oil than its smaller HD direct-injection (DI) counterpart from GM, to include other DI engines known the world over. It shouldn't be a soot monster.

IMHO, I would like to believe you can run most any modern , 0W-30 and 5W-30 engine oil that meets API SN+ and ILSAC GF-5 standards. This includes the newer GF-6A oils that are backwards compatible with GF-5.

5W-30 varieties Valvoline Advanced, Shell Rotella Gas-Truck, and QSUD would be my choices. With its excellent add pack, even syn-blend Chevron Supreme 5W-30 would do well in your new machine.

Of course, there are so many other good ones! A great new 5W-30 would be Costco's Kirkland Signature 5W-30 full synthetic. It meets SN plus and GF-5, and is D1G2-rated. Like my mentioned Chevron Supreme, Kirkland Signature possesses a great add pack.

Research, use, and evaluate some of these over time. Discover what you like.

Please report back! I might be looking at a Ford truck with this engine in 1 or 2 years.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m also an owner of the new 7.3.

I’d like to extend the OPs question.

The manual shows the 5W-30 and SN-Plus but also lists the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 spec. It seems there are plenty of oils out there that are accepted as quality oils that don’t list this spec. Instead it will list the WSS-M2C946-A spec. For example, The Amsoil OE and XL oils don’t list the -B1 spec, only the SS does. QSUD doesn’t list the -B1 spec but M1 does. How important is it to meet that Ford spec, versus just the ILSAC and/or API spec?

I would reread the manual , dilemma no. The Motorcraft oil changed at conservative intervals will allow the engine to out last your ownership of the vehicle as far as oiling goes. The manual lists specs for the oil I have a 2015 ford F150 with an ecoboost and a 2018 F350 my wife and daughter use to tow aroung their horses with with the 6. 2 and both manuals give the oil specs.

Back