F250 7.3 Gasser Oil Dilemma

I have a new 2020 Ford F-250 with the new 7.3 liter gas engine. The owner’s manual recommends the Motor Craft synthetic blend. The ONLY other option is for extreme cold environments. It does not give any full synthetic option at all.

I’m interested in buying a maintenance plan and I have two option for oil: Synthetic blend or full synthetic. The full synthetic option is about 600 more for 8 years/100k miles with the service being done every 5k miles.

I don’t know why Ford doesn’t lost a full synthetic option for the 7.3 gas, or the 6.2 gas for that matter. Could there be a valid reason? It’s not a cost issue, as Ford recommends full synthetic for many vehicles, including the diesel truck engines.

I’m leaning towards going with the blend at every 5k miles, but hate to think I’m “cheaping out” at the expense of motor life and performance. Does anyone have any insight into these questions? Thanks!

I'm going to use any 5w30 I have here. Have tons of it and I see no worries. Any flavor.
Can you PM me here. I got a few questions for you. You may find them interesting and your answers would interest me.
I have a F250 as well. Have just over 1300 miles on mine

I would select full synthetic for $600 more because most Ford dealers use bulk oil synthetic blend.
IMO you're going to get whatever they have in the 5W30 bulk drum even after paying the up-charge for the "full synthetic oil" option. Just a hunch from first hand experience working at 5 dealerships and seeing what goes on in the shop. Having said that I'd opt for the cheaper plan if I couldn't do the work myself for whatever the reason, because odds are you're going to get the cheaper oil anyway.

I got a free 200K mile engine warranty on mine.
Oil changes stay at Fords recommendation but they want you to double up on the air filter replacements.
But you DO NOT have to have a dealer do any service work- just keep your receipts.
But I'm not really concerned with all of that. Take it as it comes...lol

Run a quality 5W30 synthetic. Anything SN+ or SP will be more than adequate for that engine, but if I’m spending that kind of coin on a new vehicle I’m going to put in synthetic for the Minimal amortized Cost difference.

I see a zillion trucks a week driven by old fools as daily transportation.
I'm not young either. On the 7.3 I know SN+ is listed which is easy to find but being a port injected engine SN
would work great. Ford I think just reuses manual pages. As noted SN+ isn't hard to come by.

Getting back to the old fools- most don't tow and they use the trucks like most do their age. Light duty hauling etc.
In a 7.3 with a 10 spd trans and either 3.55-3.73 cogs I can see them never revving past 2500 rpm the life of the truck.
If you obey all speed limits and don't WOT its hard to run these over 2500 rpm in normal driving even going up a hill unless you are a maniac ..

I'm not young either. On the 7.3 I know SN+ is listed which is easy to find but being a port injected engine SN
would work great. Ford I think just reuses manual pages. As noted SN+ isn't hard to come by.

Getting back to the old fools- most don't tow and they use the trucks like most do their age. Light duty hauling etc.
In a 7.3 with a 10 spd trans and either 3.55-3.73 cogs I can see them never revving past 2500 rpm the life of the truck.
If you obey all speed limits and don't WOT its hard to run these over 2500 rpm in normal driving even going up a hill unless you are a maniac ..

Takes over 8 seconds to bring that truck to highway speeds at WOT. I would assume it would see WOT sometimes, but not "never".

I’m also an owner of the new 7.3.

I’d like to extend the OPs question.

The manual shows the 5W-30 and SN-Plus but also lists the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 spec. It seems there are plenty of oils out there that are accepted as quality oils that don’t list this spec. Instead it will list the WSS-M2C946-A spec. For example, The Amsoil OE and XL oils don’t list the -B1 spec, only the SS does. QSUD doesn’t list the -B1 spec but M1 does. How important is it to meet that Ford spec, versus just the ILSAC and/or API spec?

Quaker State Ultimate Durability meets B1. They just have been remiss with updating packaging and their website.

As I stated earlier B1 has been superceded as of May 01, 2020. Ford WSS-M2C961A1 (5W-30) and Ford WSS-M2C963A1 (0W-30) are the new specs.

I also expect Quaker State Full Synthetic (Replaced QSUD) already meets the new specs. Call or Email the company for confirmation.

Last edited:
Takes over 8 seconds to bring that truck to highway speeds at WOT. I would assume it would see WOT sometimes, but not "never".

Honestly I never WOT in anything but I see people do it everyday.
But that said- this AM I ran it from a light shifting at 2500 rpm only- you come up to speed very quickly-believe it or not.
Also I'm in a regular cab long bed- my first ever non crew. 3.55 gears

Honestly I never WOT in anything but I see people do it everyday.
But that said- this AM I ran it from a light shifting at 2500 rpm only- you come up to speed very quickly-believe it or not.
Also I'm in a regular cab long bed- my first ever non crew. 3.55 gears

Either way, there's nothing bad about redlining, I do it all the time. On-ramps, straightaways, passing... I almost always take first gear to the upper limits. Not like a maniac mind you but so when I shift to second I'm already ready for boost.

The range is there to be used. Most engines are quite conservative in their rev limits to begin with.

Either way, there's nothing bad about redlining, I do it all the time. On-ramps, straightaways, passing... I almost always take first gear to the upper limits. Not like a maniac mind you but so when I shift to second I'm already ready for boost.

The range is there to be used. Most engines are quite conservative in their rev limits to begin with.
I redline my hybrid 😄
I never redline my trucks...
Why ?
Because they gulp too much gas ..lol

I'm still on the factory fill on mine.
At 1626 miles I'm at 87% oil life.
I have had three SD trucks and never found much of any metal shavings in my cut opened filters
I may just run this one out as winter is coming.
On a positive note on 87 octane reg cab 4wd long bed with AT tires on a 14.4 mile run with speeds from 20-60 mph I pulled this off and
yesterday it was better at 20.3... This route has two traffic lights and three stop signs. Tires are 60 psi all around and not 65 in the back
Riding rough but getting better daily.

Attachments

• 445.jpg
    445.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 49
I'm still on the factory fill on mine.
At 1626 miles I'm at 87% oil life.
I have had three SD trucks and never found much of any metal shavings in my cut opened filters
I may just run this one out as winter is coming.
On a positive note on 87 octane reg cab 4wd long bed with AT tires on a 14.4 mile run with speeds from 20-60 mph I pulled this off and
yesterday it was better at 20.3... This route has two traffic lights and three stop signs. Tires are 60 psi all around and not 65 in the back
Riding rough but getting better daily.
Goodyear tires ?

Old Alaskan goats like driving pickup trucks -- especially larger 3/4 and 1-ton quad-cab trucks -- for one overarching reason:
The driver and other occupants in these larger vehicles tend to survive and walk away from collisions with smaller cars, CUVs and SUVs. I've twice seen swiping head-on collisions along the Seward Hwy between Anchorage and Seward, Alaska. I saw the afermath of large Ford and Chevy 1-tons rolling up and over compact cars. The trucks remained intact and upright. The truck passengers were essentially fine, while the compact car drivers were killed. IMHO, vehicle mass and stance were and are EVERYTHING.

I'm happy to drive my 1/2-ton quad-cab Silverado around most of the time. I feel relatively safe. :)

Another IMHO: I wouldn't own a new 3/4 or 1-ton and new 10-speed transmission without the minimum 3.73 RE. In fact, it's the standard ratio today. Actually with that new transmission, I'd opt for the 4.3 ratio RE, for its towing capability. Why wouldn't a HD truck owner not want the capabilities it was designed for... that new 10-speed has THREE overdrive gears that will most definitely deliver highway speeds without overly maxing RPMs! :)

Last edited:
Old Alaskan goats like driving pickup trucks -- especially larger 3/4 and 1-ton quad-cab trucks -- for one overarching reason:
The driver and other occupants in these larger vehicles tend to survive and walk away from collisions with smaller cars, CUVs and SUVs. I've twice seen swiping head-on collisions along the Seward Hwy between Anchorage and Seward, Alaska. I saw the afermath of large Ford and Chevy 1-tons rolling up and over compact cars. The trucks remained intact and upright. The truck passengers were essentially fine, while the compact car drivers were killed. IMHO, vehicle mass and stance were and are EVERYTHING.

I'm happy to drive my 1/2-ton quad-cab Silverado around most of the time. I feel relatively safe. :)

Another IMHO: I wouldn't own a new 3/4 or 1-ton and new 10-speed transmission without the minimum 3.73 RE. In fact, it's the standard ratio today. Actually with that new transmission, I'd opt for the 4.3 ratio RE, for its towing capability. Why wouldn't a HD truck owner not want the capabilities it was designed for... that new 10-speed has THREE overdrive gears that will most definitely deliver highway speeds without overly maxing RPMs! :)

No problem with your thoughts......
I have owned 3.73 and a 4.30 and the diesel- guessing it was 3.31????????
To be honest I agree 100% when talking about the 6 sp trans- it was like driving a turbo motor- dead spots and lag all the time
here in the hills. With the 10 spd the 3.55 is amazing. Great MPG and always on in regular mode.
The 10 spd knows where to be always. Rather amazing. Yes the 4.30 is a different animal but the 3.73 offers nothing over the 3.55
with the 7.3 and 10 spd.
The trans has an eco mode- if you like the old 6spd trans this simulates it- lag city:(

Back