5.4 V-8 in Ford F-150: what to watch for?

I've got the HT15's in our Expedition and after 50K miles, it's started to occasionally throw a temporary misfire warning if you start to really get on the throttle. I don't think I'll be leaving them in for a 100K.

As for what to watch out for with the 5.4l, if it starts having what sounds like lifter noise (different from the cam phaser ticking) get the follower rocker arms checked. Bad stuff will happen in the valve train if you let those pound and clatter too long. Another common problem is the seals on the timing chain tensioners can blow out and starve the top end for oil. If you have timing chain slap noises, you should have it addressed. Also, its wise to have the hot idle oil pressure checked on higher mileage engines if you suspect an issue. Don't believe the oil pressure gauge on the dash as it's essentially a dummy light that will always read the same as long as the engine has over 7 psi of oil pressure. I think it's a good idea to avoid extended idling with these engines, too, to save wear and tear on the valve train.

Lastly, the oil life monitor on those is set to a static 5K mile interval up to 07, and I would not run it longer than that. I use 5w30 in mine, BTW.

I have removed the plugs from (3) 04-08 5.4-3V engines. I only broke 2 total. The trick is to get the engine hot and remove them with an impact. That's how all my Ford tech friends do it.
Also, apply anti-seize on the shell ONLY! This is where the carbon builds up and causes the plug to break upon removal.

These weren’t the 3V engines? I thought all the 5.4 were.
Neg. 97&98 F150s got the 2V NPI(non power improved), from 99 up they were PI heads. 99-03 F150s were 2V, 04 was 2V if you had a lightning or a "heritage f150". 03 and 04 2V heads have the 8 threads for the spark plugs, those never launched plugs but they are now tough to locate.

Negative. This would be the 3V which the plugs get stuck and break off in the head if not removed properly. FWIW different people have different definitions of "properly" which I guess it should more correctly be said to remove them "carefully".
You're correct, blown spark plug threads, as @spasm3 mentioned, primarily affect some 2v 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 V10 because Ford used the half-length plug threads (and the head castings were "soft").

This was addressed in TSB 07-21-2 and isn't to say that other Mod motors can't also be affected by this issue

Broken plugs affects 3v 5.4's specifically due to OEM 2-piece plug design

Last edited:
I have a 2006 3v with only 58k on it. it has a warm idle tick.
original everything. runs like a top but is noisy compared to other engines. what I view as normal valve train noise.
for the engine.
I seen an untouched 2v 5.4 with 630k on it.
I switched to 5w30 in mine as recommended by Fordmakulocal.
hopefully mine will last. everyone says new oil every 3k no matter what.

Back