Oil filter for 07’ F-150 Triton 5.4v-8

So, me being crazy, ignorant and rude at times; deciding to help co worker with his 07’ F-150 truck 4WD 5.4 “triton” v-8. Gave him plenty of 5w30 CarQuest oil. What filter do the folks that have truck like this run? Thank You all🇺🇸🇨🇦👍🍺

I've had good luck with the FL-820S (never cut one open though-- common for tearing) but usually run a FRAM PH2 in the winter, seems to have a better ADBV, due to the position of these filters and the common cam phaser issue I like to not have startup rattle from the filter draining.

FL820s is suppose to anecdotally reduce startup rattle from cam phasers with the 3v 5.4's of that generation with the thread-end bypass. Sometimes you can find a Wix 51372 with a thread-end bypass.

More so, anything with a silicone ADBV should work

I've had good luck with the FL-820S (never cut one open though-- common for tearing) but usually run a FRAM PH2 in the winter, seems to have a better ADBV, due to the position of these filters and the common cam phaser issue I like to not have startup rattle from the filter draining.
I still have 9 of them to cut open. One is from my sons just recent OCI. The other 8 are from OCI's they did at the Ford dealership he works at. I just have had a bad case of "THE-ITUS" here lately. :sleep:

Last edited:
FL820 was the most used filter by me on my 04 5.4. Cut many of them and never had an issue. I also used MotorCraft synthetic blend often and OCI was usually 5k. There will always be a tic, but mine was light. Only time you really knew it was in a drive-through near a building wall.

I was a believer in changing oil 5k to avoid a lot of the phaser issues. Worked on my 1 engine sample.

Blue: wish I was closer; I’d come over and cut them open 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍🍺🍺
Thanks for that kind gesture.
Between all of the legal wrangling with my dad, the VA, the land, monies, nursing facility, etc., I find myself just down right exhausted. I always thought to myself that desk jockeys-AKA-white collar workers had it made because of paper work and such. I mean, I was a a supervisor for 16 years, and was a pipe fitter teacher for 6 years. I had paperwork to do, but nothing like I'm currently doing for my dad and the family.
I now have the utmost respect for you desk jockeys. ;) (y)

I also have cut open many 820's with no issues to report. I just switched back to them. I also never rack up tons of miles on them though. 4000 kms is all my Mustang drove this summer.

I put the 820s on these and recommend full synthetic to my customers in these engines. The ones we have serviced regular since new have never exhibited the timing chain and rocker/cam issues that these engines are known for
Serviced regular works wonders !

Back