5.3& 6.0 GM trucks losing oil pressure PF48E

I would tend to believe problem #1, but not #2.
I personally observed the pressure readings from the factory sensor port using the original sensor and a mechanical gauge. Both methods showed the same behavior with the pressure starting out high, gradually falling off and going to zero. The sensor is also in a pretty well protected area behind/under the cowl and the connector appeared to be of the weatherproof type.

Originally Posted By: roygage
One more log on the fire. I was reading in another forum that once the P0 521 for low oil pressure sets the gauge defaults to 0. If this is the case it would be a game changer. Would explain for why these trucks do not suffer any damage while running with 0 oil pressure, why the lifters do not rattle. Guess you are not going to know until you do some actual pressure testing on the vehicle.

The oil port on the back of the motor is difficult to get at, there is a adapter available to test the pressure by installing said adapter in place of the oil filter. Do not have one but will be getting one.

Any info on who sells the adapter? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
One more log on the fire. I was reading in another forum that once the P0 521 for low oil pressure sets the gauge defaults to 0. If this is the case it would be a game changer. Would explain for why these trucks do not suffer any damage while running with 0 oil pressure, why the lifters do not rattle. Guess you are not going to know until you do some actual pressure testing on the vehicle.

The oil port on the back of the motor is difficult to get at, there is a adapter available to test the pressure by installing said adapter in place of the oil filter. Do not have one but will be getting one.

Any info on who sells the adapter? Thanks.

I get confused as to the different generations but they have them all listed here. http://www.freedomracing.com/j-42907-oil...AyABEgIAh_D_BwE

Ran a second ad in our local shopper to follow up on the oil filters plugging up. Will paste it here.

A follow up on the problem with GM pickups plugging the oil filter and losing oil pressure. When last we spoke I threw AC Delco under the bus blaming their PF48E filter for the problem. Since then I have heard from other shops reporting they too have seen the problem, and not just with the PF 48E but with Wix and other brands.

Lo and behold a couple weeks ago we had a 2009 5.3 Silverado with 168K on the odometer in with low oil pressure. Would go up rather slow then after a couple of blocks drop to zero. Motor sounded great. A look at the oil change sticker showed 7000 miles on a change with Dexos full synthetic oil, and, a Wix filter.

Changing the oil and filter resolved the problem, pulling the filter apart I found the same light carbon particles in the folds of the filter media. Hmmmm.

Doing some research turned up GM bulletin #PIP5276D. Now GM bulletins are infamous, for what they do not tell you.

Under condition/concern. “A concern of a PO521 setting after an oil change and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel.

Now a note from me, Code P0521 indicates the trucks computer saw a oil pressure reading it does not expect, or like. I looked up the parameters which are used to set this code only to find they were nonsensical, or more accurately, obviously wrong. I am quite sure though that when your trucks computer sees a reading it does not like it sends a signal to the instrument cluster telling the gauge to show zero. This is to get your attention. When you shut the truck off and restart it the process repeats with the gauge telling the true reading until the code again sets dropping the gauge back to zero.

Recommendations/Instructions: “ If you are working on a Gen 4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, replace with UPF48R oil filter if one is available.”

“NOTE: Only use the UPF48R oil filter if the Gen4 V8 is setting a DTC P0521”

And that is it. No explanation of why the PF48E is problematic, no mention of a root problem. And why in the world would you use the PF48E after reading the bulletin regardless if your truck has lost oil pressure or not?

I found the UPF48R filter is a premium filter which uses a synthetic filter media and a different relief setting on the internal bypass valve. I see no good reason to use the older PF48E on any GM V8.

As for the carbon particles caught in the filter media pleats? Seems this engine cokes up internally a situation made worse with extended oil changes.

In summary, these motors are equipped with a small filter which is prone to plugging up, of the filters used the Delco PF 48 E due to its construction, filter media used and higher bypass pressure is the most likely to give a problem. Extended oil changes compound the issue by coking/sludging the engine We recommend not extending the oil changes, using the premium oil filter along with a Dexos approved full synthetic motor oil.

In summary, these motors are equipped with a small filter which is prone to plugging up, of the filters used the Delco PF 48 E due to its construction, filter media used and higher bypass pressure is the most likely to give a problem. Extended oil changes compound the issue by coking/sludging the engine We recommend not extending the oil changes, using the premium oil filter along with a Dexos approved full synthetic motor oil.

What's stange is GM is recommending the UPF48R filter which might have an even higher bypass valve pressure setting. Seems that would cut back oil pressure even more as the filter loaded up before the bypass valve started to open. Guess it depends if the oil pump hits pressure relief before the filter hits bypass.

Also, I'm wondering if the bypass valve in these filters is large enough to maintain good oil flow when it opens.

Still in tow on this … own two gens of 5.3L’s ... for now on the older I’ll run an XG10575 7k to 10k …
On the new gen … going to change the 63E about half way (4K) in my M1 EP 0w20 run and C&P …
Got a half dozen of each anyway and easy to reach them on 4WD vehicles … (literally
wink.gif

What's stange is GM is recommending the UPF48R filter which might have an even higher bypass valve pressure setting. Seems that would cut back oil pressure even more as the filter loaded up before the bypass valve started to open. Guess it depends if the oil pump hits pressure relief before the filter hits bypass.

Also, I'm wondering if the bypass valve in these filters is large enough to maintain good oil flow when it opens.
Bumping this 3 year old thread.

According to this TSB, the oil pressure relief valve is no longer on the pump, but at the end of the oil galley. Upon startup, a larger amount of oil is forced through the system to feed the engine faster, especially with cold, thick oil, until it reaches the end, where the relief valve will regulate the pressure. This will be a positive-displacement feed with no pressure regulation (relief) before the filter, so they specify a higher pressure bypass to avoid dirty oil flowing into the galley on a regular basis.

What I can't answer is why the pressure goes down. A dirty filter will trigger the bypass or crush the element due to the unyielding positive-displacement pump. Unless GM has done away with that, too? This TSB covers 2012 to 2017, is it in effect for later model years? I have a 2020 6.0 and I cannot get the gauge to show pressure while cranking, the engine has to fire before the gauge shows any pressure.

Edit: My 2020 Chevrolet 6.0 came from the factory with a PF-48 (Not a PF-48e).

Attachments

• MC-10137653-9999.pdf
    76.4 KB · Views: 95
Back