4L60E Build

You got to install your own Output Speed Sensor Reluctor on the Sonnax Output Shaft......You'd think for the $$$$ this thing cost it come with it!!!

Got to heat up the reluctor with a MAPP torch to get it off the old output, Then heat it up again to install it.

Output shaft installed & snap ringed.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by a moderator:
The next thing I do is check & adjust total unit End-Play, The nice thing about 60E's is.....There aren't 4 different end-play locations like a 80E.

I temporarily empty out the 3-4 clutch & sit the Input Drum down on the Output Carrier, Install the Pump to Case Gasket, Install the Pump, Torque the Pump bolts down to 18 ft lbs.

Check end-play, This one came out to .018" which would be perfect for a stock build using a Thrust between the sun shell & lo roller race or a brass thrust between the reaction shaft & sun shell like the 700R4 or early 4L60E used.....If fact, Probably wouldn't want any tighter if using both thrust washer as they need to "breath" & lube.

With this unit being fully rollerized.....As low as .003" is acceptable, You could likely run it at Zero because the case expands with heat. I added a .014" shim under the select-able shim & rechecked end-play.....Came out to .004"/.005".

Reinstall the 3-4 Clutch stack, Lace the Reverse Input Clutches & drum onto the Input Drum, Then drop the Input Drum & Reverse Input Drum into the case & lace the 3-4 Clutches onto the 3-4 Clutch Hub.
Unit has to be in park or you'll never get the 3-4's laced!!
Re-soaking the 3-4's in ATF helps lacing them in my experience!

*As you can see.....I keep the ring sizer on the Stator Support Rings at all times 'til it's time to drop in the pump.....These rings expand very quickly & makes cutting/rolling them very easy. A lot of builders use 700R4 Scarf Cut rings because of this.

Next up is the 2-4 Band. I'm running a Raybestos wide Pro-Series Carbon/Kevlar Band.

You have to adjust the Sonnax 2-4 Apply pin to length by removing/grinding material from the tip, I like .075" clearance for a Pro-Series Band. Stock BorgWarner Hi-Energy bands like ,040". I wish BorgWarner would make a wide band with thicker anchor points!!

2nd & 4th apply servos.......I run GM# 8642539 outer cushion spring & GM# 8681195 inner cushion spring, Which is stock Corvette/Camaro/GTO cushion springs for "093" 2nd apply pistons AKA Corvette Servo.

I cut fluid relieve notches in the cushion spring retainer, Ode to Gil Younger of TransGo for developing this technique! Prevents fluid from hydrolocking behind the spring retainer, Causing harsh 1-2 shifts while hot/after long drives. Helps control downshift timing as well.

Looking good Cline! I appreciate the nod to Gil Younger, he really was an incredible man. The things he did for the rebuilds and aftermarket were truly fantastic. Before he passed, I had a few interactions with him at trade shows and over the phone on a few instances. His customer support and tech help was second to none in the industry. To some extent, I feel that the customer support and innovation has died off wirh his passing.

I always appreciated that Gil always sought to cure the cause of the failure or nuisance condition as opposed to just putting a bandaid on it with a shift kit that only jacked apply pressures. He will continue to be missed in the industry.

Cheers.

PS I really like that Sonnax Smart shell.

Gil really knew transmissions & the transmission repair industry lost a lot the day he passed! I've talked to him a few times over the phone, How many owners/founders of multi million dollar companies answer the tech line?

Used a Sonnax Pinless Accumulator Piston in the 4th Accumulator & reused the stock Escalade 65E Spring. The Sonnax piston reduces the range of the accumulator quite a bit, This alone with firm up the 3-4 shift, As will the Super Hold 4th piston.

Blocked the 3-2 Downshift Valve inboard using a TransGo 4L60E-HD2 spacer spring, Basically rendering the valve inoperable......This eliminates a big 3rd Clutch circuit leak. I believe Gil pioneered this as well.

Modified a 700R4 "B" Code Accumulator Valve & Bushing to fit by drilling a through hole, 4L60E/4L65E units use to big a Ratio (C & D) Accumulator Valve & one of the reasons why these unit have a harsh/bump 1-2 shift.
The Accumulator Valve & Bushing ratio controls Accumulator pressure.

Used a TransGo 56oz Accumulator Spring & their "Special Pin" that allows spring & bushing changes without dropping the Valve Body. The Sonnax 2nd piston is larger than the 093/Vette piston, So I went down one step.

That does it for the Valve Body, It's basically brand new so nothing had to be fixed. I left the TCC PWM Regulator Valve as is because I tune out TCC PWM apply with HPtuners.

Used 6L80E/6L90E plastic checkballs.

Love your posts but must say, automatic transmissions are like Chinese to me. I have no idea what I'm looking at or how they really work. Keep up the good work.

Back