4L80E Build Clarifications

Into my first 80 build and have read and watched info till my head is spinning!
I know there is more than one way to do an 80 build, but looking for some clarifications.

Since this is my first, I'm keeping it fairly stock.
Here's what is going into so far, 2000 2WD:
1. Sonnax rollerized output kit
2. Stock BW frictions
3. R&R forward drum (had seal ridges)
4. All bushings R&R
5. HD case snap ring
6. HD intermediate return spring retainer plate

My first set of questions revolve around dual feeding per Jake's instructions (removing middle sealing ring, removing seal on direct?, plug reverse ckt in case, and drilling hole in pump):
1. Read this delays the engagement of reverse; can this be remedied?
2. Don't need to drill hole in direct for stock?
3. Good/bad of deleting accumulators on stock build?
4. If AFL valve has low vacuum, does it matter if accumulators deleted? Trying to determine if I need to buy the reaming kit to fix.

I made a vacuum tester and getting mixed readings on VB, but not sure what considered a "good/bad" reading. Is there a go/no go?

What "kit" is best for VB and pump mods, Superior K4L80E, Sonnax , Transgo 48-ACT-TL?

What about "surfacing" the drums that the bands ride on? Scotchbrite, 80 grit, polish? Heard all 3 out there....

Is it considered standard to replace roller clutches and sprag on all builds?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

1. You can quicken engagement by enlarging the 3rd/Reverse feed orifice. But it's a fine line between slow engagement & harsh engagement. Stock vehicles do not need to be Dual Fed!
2. No need to drill the Direct Drum at stock RPM levels.
3.Keep them active with a stock Converter, 3rd & 4th Accumulator pistons likely need replaced.
4. No

Lower than 18 Hg is considered borderline, Lower than @ 12Hg you can have 2nd gear starts Full Hot.

80E's don't need a Shift Kit.....
Sonnax Line Booster Kit
Drill Line To Lube Bypass in the Pump Cover.
Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve
TransGo 48-ACT-TL if needed to restore the AFL Valve.
TransGo Plate if needed (Likely?)

Just knock the Glaze off with some 120 Emery.

Replacing the Sprag & Roller Clutches is standard practice.

Thanks for the reply!
So, haven't heard that about stock builds not needing dual fed! I know some say to do it to all.
I had already started to dual feed by blocking the reverse drain hole in case; do I need to remove that if I decide not to DF?

Played with the vacuum more and got much better readings; a good silicone gasket with a little assy lube helps!
The boost valve is the lowest and you recommend that R&R anyhow.
One reading I can't figure out is the AFL filter. I get a total 0 with old or new filter/oring? Needle doesn't even try to move and it's calibrated.
I also used the plate to block off the filter end cap and no change.
I called Sonnax and no help. Looked for passage hole on back of VB and nothing.
Tried both the plate and a air gun tip I converted to use the hole in that passage.
And why does the instructions say tilt the VB up? That filter doesn't move?

Screenshot 2022-03-25 091250.png
IMG_0807.jpg

So are these the parts you recommend vs a shift kit?
Sonnax Line Booster Kit (need anyhow) I see there are like 3 different versions?
Drill Line To Lube Bypass in the Pump Cover.
Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve

Cline: Do you answer PMs if I had something specific?

You will need to unblock the Reverse Feed in the case, The 4L80E wouldn't have its reputation if it couldn't handle a 300HP small block in stock form.

You need to block the Case Lube Feed Hole (Where the Lube Tube goes) Arrow in order to vacuum test the AFL Filter. This doesn't apply to '91-'96 valve bodies, So that's likely why the guide doesn't mention it (maybe they were testing a early VB??)
I can't think of a reason to tilt the VB....Though you might have it tilted to plug the lube feed.

OnOXd6k.jpg

Blocked the case lube hole and no change; 0 reading?
Filter is fully seated. Possibly wrong oring?
There is resistance installing the oring as I feel it seat, but not terrible.

When do you recommend dual feeding mod?

I see it now, The AFL feed to the Shift Valves is open, Block the passage (Red Square) with some putty, Then use your plate to seal it.
The Red Arrow is where the filter is open.

NQXK2Xt.jpg

Not until you crest 475-500 foot pounds do I recommend Dual Feeding the Direct Clutch. Which is in-line with the max rated input torque of a stock 4L80E.

Back