4L60E Build

Further development of 4L60E calibrations is the main reason, The 1st & 2nd ratio change will also change 1-2 & 2-3 shift feel. I'm VERY picky on how a shift feels & I don't use customers vehicles for testbed purposes.

The secondary reason is the Torque Arm relocation required for the 80E, It moves the Torque Arm Bushing off the trans tail housing to the trans crossmember. Under hard acceleration I can feel some vibration. Tried adjust the Torque Arm up & down along with different drive shaft angles via the moving the trans up & down in the chassis.

I even went as far as welding & machining a 80E tailhousing for a TH400 Bushing to make the slip yoke fit tighter.

The Polyurethane Torque Arm bushing is part of the problem as is the Torque Arm no longer articulating with the trans. It's really not that bad.....But my OCD & picky nature doesn't allow me to just live with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great project, thank you so much for the share, will be watching this keenly
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, just did one of these last week. Not.

No wonder most DIYers are intimidated with tranny work. Great stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Are you doing some outside the box experimenting with parts combos or is it all known ?

It'll be interesting how it turns out! 2.8:1 first gear is still deeper than the 2.48:1 in the 4L80 so I'll be curious how you like it. 2.8 seems to be very popular in 4AT's, not sure why but it seems to pop up quite a bit. 3AT was more like 2.5:1 and of course 4L60 decided to go bigtime with the 3.06. Anyhow, in a performance car I'm wondering if 2.8 is going to be too deep and still too wide on the 1-2 shift or if it's going to be just right (with the right set of rear gears).

" Polyurethane Torque Arm bushing is part of the problem as is the Torque Arm no longer articulating with the trans. It's really not that bad.....But my OCD & picky nature doesn't allow me to just live with it."
Maybe apples and oranges, but,in upper control arms urethane bushings are a compromise between vibration transmission and durability.The E28 state of the art is a rebuild-able spherical bushing to handle the problem. Best solution so far for UCA bushings.
grin2.gif

Nice to see you a) doing your own work, and b) building up from what you have instead of throwing a 4L80 at everything.

Originally Posted by Trav
Looks great!
thumbsup2.gif
Which poly mount were you using? I had bad vibration from the purple Powerflex but the yellow tamed it quite a bit.

I believe Energy Suspension is the only source for the 1 piece bushings that my relocation kit requires, Prothane makes a 2 piece one, But I believe it's of the same/similar durometer.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Fine build CLine. What rear diff gear ratio are you running?

3.73:1

Originally Posted by supton
It'll be interesting how it turns out! 2.8:1 first gear is still deeper than the 2.48:1 in the 4L80 so I'll be curious how you like it. 2.8 seems to be very popular in 4AT's, not sure why but it seems to pop up quite a bit. 3AT was more like 2.5:1 and of course 4L60 decided to go bigtime with the 3.06. Anyhow, in a performance car I'm wondering if 2.8 is going to be too deep and still too wide on the 1-2 shift or if it's going to be just right (with the right set of rear gears).

It will be similar to a 2004R which has 2.74/1.57 & Identical to a 4R70W 2.84/1.55/1.00/0.70, Both work well in performance applications.

Gettin' the case ready for assembly....

Installed a new case bushing & double checked the bushing depth by temporarily installing the Internal Reaction Support & Bearing. And my home made case bushing driver which sets the bushing depth perfect every time, But I still check it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Have to change out the Manual Shift Shaft to the "short version" that is used in 4th Gen F-Bodies, New shift shaft seal as well. I seal the O.D. with Hylomar Blue.

Lo/Reverse apply piston gets installed in the case, Then the return spring assembly.

Lower geartrian parts cleaned up & ready to install.

Wide Reaction Sun Gear Bushing installed

The Internal Reaction Support & Reaction Carrier Ring Gear gets dropped in, Then the Reaction Carrier.

Lo/Reverse Clutches & Steels, Then the Center Support, Case Snap Ring & Reaction Sun Gear....

Reaction Sun Shell, Rollerizing between the sun shell & Lo Roller Clutch Race is a nice feature of the Sonnax Smart Shell! The General used a plastic thrust washer.

Next goes in the Reaction Shaft, 3-4 Clutch Hub/Output Carrier Ring Gear & the Output Carrier.

Back