46 VW

Love the split window and tiny tail lights. 1.1L and 25 HP I believe. Nice ride!
46 VW.jpg

Aeroplane/Bullet styling of the era. I can picture this pulling a small airstream but that air cooled engine would probably fry. Great to see folks still restoring older vehicles.

That looks amazing! I'm guessing they probably were not that beautiful when new!

There is a all original, unrestored 1970 VW bus in our hangar. I start it up and drive it once in a while. The engine makes very little power, and top speed is 65mph. Amazingly fun machine.

L11 Pastel Green was an original color for 1952. I could see this car being that color, although glossier.

There was some discussion about this car on another forum, and its likely a 1951/52 model.

L11 Pastel Green was an original color for 1952. I could see this car being that color, although glossier.

There was some discussion about this car on another forum, and its likely a 1951/52 model.
I'm not completely sure but I think VW Pastel Green is more of a gray green. The Bug in the picture here looks at least in the picture more sage green. Of course, the color may not be rendered realistically.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the pic. Where did you spot it? Did you happen to look inside and see if it had the Hoffman shift knob with the thin blue line around it's circumference?

My dad drove bugs starting in 1970. Said they were the best cars he ever owned. He had a 70 and a 74 that was a super. Both went well over 100k with no issues and no oil consumption.

The heads did not rattle off, throlttle cable did not break etc.

He ran Pennzoil 10w40 in them although I dont know the oci. But knowing my dad probably 5k.

That Beetle is drop-dead gorgeous.
What a blast that would be to take out on nice days.
Slow? Of course, but so what?

My grandfather had iirc a 51 in powder blue. This isn’t the same color but it’s helpful to get an idea of what his was like…

Back