2016 VW Passat for the daughter

This past week we bought our daughter a 2016 VW Passat 1.8L TSI. Nothing fancy, but a very nice starter car. It has 71,000 miles and a car fax report with a pretty good maintenance history. Looks like regular oil changes at the dealership and the routine maintenance generally taken care of. Very clean and running good. Initial impressions are a quiet and comfortable ride, good power delivery, very light steering.

What have your experiences with a Passat of this vintage been? PS don’t tell my daughter I used this picture, she wouldn’t be happy…👀😆

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 170
My stepson has the same car, same year, trim and color. He's spent thousands of dollars fixing many issues. The turbo and high pressure fuel pump failed. The climate control had the driver side blowing hot air this past summer while cold air was blowing on the passenger side. The front passenger coil spring broke suddenly also last summer. I hope yours holds up far better.

The key with VW's in maintenance and upkeep. I have had a few and some BMW's in recent years, and would note that the manufacturer is very specific with oil and coolant requirements. On BITOG, you'll get many people arguing against mfr recs, but suggest following them.

Oh that's funny...our Daughter; same age, same dress, same hairstyle, same glasses, except she just got a '14 X3. Showing my age, but I don't get the slob w/ UGGS look... :D

Congrats, nice, safe car.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 with well over 30,000 miles. Runs great. Only real issue I have had is the dipstick tube worked loose from the block but it was fixed quickly under warranty. This one uses the 508 oil but that has presented no problems. I do change the oil every 5000 miles and recommend you do the same.

Congrats on getting a great car.

This past week we bought our daughter a 2016 VW Passat 1.8L TSI. Nothing fancy, but a very nice starter car. It has 71,000 miles and a car fax report with a pretty good maintenance history. Looks like regular oil changes at the dealership and the routine maintenance generally taken care of. Very clean and running good. Initial impressions are a quiet and comfortable ride, good power delivery, very light steering.

What have your experiences with a Passat of this vintage been? PS don’t tell my daughter I used this picture, she wouldn’t be happy…👀😆
Great cars boring but I don't think they have too many quirks or issues that I remember. If it's like the Jetta you'll have to learn the "park position " so that you can replace the wiper blades. The European version was slightly smaller sportier and for some reason they dropped awd in the usa models not sure why. Good luck hope you enjoyed it they're quiet and ride really nice.

Solid cars.

5k oil changes with 502/505 will keep the engine happy. Be advised the transmission fluid and filter is due at 80k with fluid every 40k.

Yeah, I’m planning on that service at 80,000 miles. Being a Bitoger you know I’ll be using VW spec oil. Prolly QS Euro 5w-40. Already ordered 2 Hastings oil filters from RA…

Back