40K on my old e36

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week, I hit 145K on my old 318i, which I bought in the spring of '10 with just under 105K.
Reliability has been as good as what I've had with anything else I've ever owned, which would not be true of all BMWs.
The only thing that I've had to fix was the boot from the MAF (I think it's a MAF) to the intake manifold, which cracked and caused really bad running at idle and taking off from a stop. This was something like a $23.00 part and took maybe fifteen minutes to replace.
I've seen good fuel economy as well, with a worst tank this year of about 31 mpg and a best tank a hair under 35 mpg.
I put it back on the road in early May and it will be going to sleep for the winter in the next month.
Everything works, including the really cold AC. This car has a drop it yourself top, which was my preference when I was looking for one. Less stuff to break.
I had wanted a four cylinder RWD stick convertible of fairly modern vintage, which pretty well brought the search down to either a BMW e30 or e36 or a Miata. I also wanted to spend around 5K, which left cars like the S2000 out of the picture.
For anyone looking for a warm season fun car, you could do a lot worse than an old e36 convertible.
Roomier, maybe safer and certainly less common than the Miata.

Given the speed of my connection and the somewhat convoluted way in which you have to post images here, it would take me about forever to post a single one.
The car's a color BMW calls Boston Green and it has a tan top and interior.

Ahhh, very nice color combo. Probably tan leather interior I'm guessing. That car was probably 40k new. Nice write up btw.

Who's your internet through? I have Time Warner which is pretty fast and wireless.

Last edited:
That M42 motor is just about bulletproof. The only part that has failed on my engine in 18 years and @130k miles of ownership has been the t-stat. I also installed an M44 timing chain tensioner as a precaution($45 and 10 minutes). The rest of the car has only required normal maintenance and a brake light switch($30 and 30 minutes) and a coolant hose fitting(@$50). I am never selling mine...

As an e30 328 (M42) driver, I'd say that the profile gasket can be a problem. Otherwise, yeah, bulletproof, fun to drive and economical. Love mine. Just get yours krowned/carwell'd ASAP, because rustproofing is critical!

Mine has 162k, and I did have one wheel bearing go bad.

Boston Green E36:

7a.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
As an e30 328 (M42) driver, I'd say that the profile gasket can be a problem. Otherwise, yeah, bulletproof, fun to drive and economical. Love mine. Just get yours krowned/carwell'd ASAP, because rustproofing is critical!

Mine has 162k, and I did have one wheel bearing go bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the post-'94 motors didn't suffer from the profile gasket issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back