'24 Toyota GR86 vs '69 Camaro

Here’s one last thing. We always had the impression that 60’s muscle cars ran on banana skin tires. Here is a replica tire used on the 69 Z 28. It has a 8.4 inch width. Certainly not as wide as a radial of the same rim width, but not all that bad. Enjoy.

DA412078-A5F0-4823-A22E-E5108F9E805F.jpeg

This. Doing 10’s in a 3500 lb car requires 700 hp. While a tuned ZL-1 had 500 hp, it didn’t have 700.
Pure stock. Almost in the 11's. Just headers and slicks would get her to mid low 11's

550 at the tires will get you tens everything else being sanitary

Just a sample of 1 for you statistic guys :)

RTV blocking the pick up screen, oil starvation under hard cornering, Toyota refusing replacements while under warranty for “abuse” despite advertising AND SELLING THE CAR WITH A FRIGGIN TRACK DAY(!!!!!) but if it’s just going to be a daily driver you’ll likely be fine.
Better endoscope that pickup if you own one. My wife would blow it up - or me :)

Pure stock. Almost in the 11's. Just headers and slicks would get her to mid low 11's

550 at the tires will get you tens everything else being sanitary

Just a sample of 1 for you statistic guys :)

Yes, a good approximation might be a 3500 lb car like a 69 Camaro, 550 HP at the wheels, which might be 600 HP at the flywheel, and you would be in the high 10’s. If you want to do the Holy Grail of 10.0, it’s more like 700 HP.

If most of your driving is in a straight line, ten seconds at a time: Camaro is a great car.

If you like to turn left and right, and go fast and slow: Everything else.

Kidding aside, this is a very American thread. Americans buy torque and think the quarter mile competition is "racing." The GR86/BRZ and the Miata are the only affordable, naturally aspirated, rwd sports cars out there. They are not perfect, but they put a smile on your face — usually between 15 and 45 mph. They have a little finesse. The rawness, brutality and violence of muscle cars says everything about the American national character.

I love cars. Pick the one that makes you happy. But the OP is comparing two things that really have little in common. :)

These guys can't drive :) . I went 12.95 at 110.02 mph in a paper tags 151 mile 2001 6 speed Z28 on Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs. I hate magazine times. I know it is provides a good base time and are really the only list anyone can compare but they never really show/tell the whole story.

I don’t think Earnhardt could run those times.

When I say Earnhardt I’m taking about # 3…… not # 88.

If most of your driving is in a straight line, ten seconds at a time: Camaro is a great car.

If you like to turn left and right, and go fast and slow: Everything else.

Kidding aside, this is a very American thread. Americans buy torque and think the quarter mile competition is "racing." The GR86/BRZ and the Miata are the only affordable, naturally aspirated, rwd sports cars out there. They are not perfect, but they put a smile on your face — usually between 15 and 45 mph. They have a little finesse. The rawness, brutality and violence of muscle cars says everything about the American national character.

I love cars. Pick the one that makes you happy. But the OP is comparing two things that really have little in common. :)
Have you driven a newer Camaro? I mean they destroy the GR86.

I don’t think Earnhardt could run those times.

When I say Earnhardt I’m taking about # 3…… not # 88.
He probably would have went faster. Most LS1 4th Gens were solid 13.20 to 13.60 cars. The 2001 and 2002 were better as they had some updates and could tick off 12.90-13.00 in 6 speed trim.

Have you driven a newer Camaro? I mean they destroy the GR86.

Define "destroy." :D

I have heard that there is some version of the new Camaro that is very competitive, a great driving car. 👍

For me, the key metric for sports cars is power-to-weight. I like a sports car to be under 3,000 lbs. Over that, and we are talking about a GT car.

Actually dr
Define "destroy." :D

I have heard that there is some version of the new Camaro that is very competitive, a great driving car. 👍

For me, the key metric for sports cars is power-to-weight. I like a sports car to be under 3,000 lbs. Over that, and we are talking about a GT car.
So much so the comparisons only included the V6 and 2.0 turbo.The 2.0 turbo car pulls almost Identical numbers to GR86. This isn't 1989 or 1999. If look at numbers for the V6 car and the SS they are just better than the BRZ. Like you said it comes down to what you like,

Actually dr

So much so the comparisons only included the V6 and 2.0 turbo.The 2.0 turbo car pulls almost Identical numbers to GR86. This isn't 1989 or 1999. If look at numbers for the V6 car and the SS they are just better than the BRZ. Like you said it comes down to what you like,

I respect what you are saying, but I have to go back to my original point. You say, "Pulls identical numbers." What numbers? Horsepower and torque? Those numbers alone don't mean anything to me, but they mean a lot to the average American car buyer.

By the way, I'm glad it's not 1989. That was a sh*tty time for American cars. I mean, sh*ttier than usual. :D

The 262 and 267 were worse! No nickle blocks so they wore out like they were cast from Cheese.
Well, I was thinking of the good old pre-emissions days. GM had anemic, underpowered V8s down to a science in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s-until Ford brought out the 5.0 Holley carbureted Mustang GTs. That got the party started for American V8 performance again!

I respect what you are saying, but I have to go back to my original point. You say, "Pulls identical numbers." What numbers? Horsepower and torque? Those numbers alone don't mean anything to me, but they mean a lot to the average American car buyer.

By the way, I'm glad it's not 1989. That was a sh*tty time for American cars. I mean, sh*ttier than usual. :D
Skid pad, slalom, braking I'm not even going to talk about 1/4 mi!e.

1989 was a lot better than 1979.

Back