400k 2016 Jetta

I took an Uber in a decent looking and comfortable 2016 Jetta. The interior (leatherette ) and vehicle were in great shape and not a single rattle.

He’s been said for 7 years using that car for Uber and also job as copier repair in New England .

It had 402k and said no real problems , just wear items like starter, alternator etc on outside of motor. Nothing internal with transmission or engine

Gave me hope our 142k 2018 Tiguan might last more than 2 years(30k/year).

I took an Uber in a decent looking and comfortable 2016 Jetta. The interior (leatherette ) and vehicle were in great shape and not a single rattle.

He’s been said for 7 years using that car for Uber and also job as copier repair in New England .

It had 402k and said no real problems , just wear items like starter, alternator etc on outside of motor. Nothing internal with transmission or engine

Gave me hope our 142k 2018 Tiguan might last more than 2 years(30k/year).
Cars do better when they're driven

All of the above. Good maintenance, driven a lot(not a little) and the Uber driver/owner certainly has a good example of a VW.
I drove a friends A4 w/230k miles on the clock, still with the OE suspension and the car was as tight as a drum.

Last edited:
I had a 2011 Jetta with 182k miles and was just getting ready to do its second timing belt on it when it was totaled due to getting sideswiped on both sides. Honestly the only car I was really sad to see go. Besides brakes, timing belt and a coil I did nothing but oil and transmission fluid changes on it and it was rock solid with no squeaks or noises.

The forklift dealership worked at sold Baker Forklifts and some models had the 5 cyl VW/ Volvo etc engines and they were nice engines.

I rode in a Lyft near Dayton, Ohio earlier this year and the car I rode in was a Toyota Camry with nearly 500k miles. The interior held up well. I was pretty impressed.

My sister's 2013 Jetta with the 2.5L just passed 200k miles. To give you an idea of how hard those 200k miles have been, my family has nicknamed my sister "the car destroyer". She has run out of gas 5 times and has had a total of 7 flat tires.

I drove the car last time I did an oil change on it, and aside from some clunking from loose control arm bushings in the front, it drives just as solid as when it was new.

My sister's 2013 Jetta with the 2.5L just passed 200k miles. To give you an idea of how hard those 200k miles have been, my family has nicknamed my sister "the car destroyer". She has run out of gas 5 times and has had a total of 7 flat tires.

I drove the car last time I did an oil change on it, and aside from some clunking from loose control arm bushings in the front, it drives just as solid as when it was new.
Those are rookie numbers. My uncle ran his car out of oil 5 times

Those are rookie numbers. My uncle ran his car out of oil 5 times
Oh those were just examples of what she has done. Her Civic every time I changed the oil it was pointless to open the drain plug because nothing would come out, and her first week of driving when she turned 16 she drove too far over a parking barrier in a lot at school and ripped her bumper off. 3 deer strikes, numerous tickets and tow situations, all of her cars have been "off road". We've all lost count. :ROFLMAO:

Any car that reaches 250k or more in New England is a major milestone. I have kept a few cars in the 150k range, but lose interest and want something more sturdy for the kids and family. My VAG cars (6 total) have never left me walking, starting with a 1978 dasher that I blew the clutch up.. nursed it home. I even drove a 2002 Allroad for 6 years (90k to 150k). Maintenance does matter. Keeping your eyes out for strange things during an oil change can save you some lost time on the side of the road.

I do think the VW's interiors and paint hold up remarkably well. My daughter has a 2008 Jetta SE with 186k miles and looks way better than comparable 2008 civics and elantras of the same vintage
If you are lucky to find the random years they have great reliability they are great cars. VW is seriously not consistent however they do address their failings.

Any car that reaches 250k or more in New England is a major milestone.
A junkyard in New Haven Junction, VT had an instrument cluster atop the cash register.
It had 428,000 miles on it IIRC. "The most we've ever seen", said the employee.
Another example of a car that was driven and maintained.

Any car that reaches 250k or more in New England is a major milestone. I have kept a few cars in the 150k range, but lose interest and want something more sturdy for the kids and family. My VAG cars (6 total) have never left me walking, starting with a 1978 dasher that I blew the clutch up.. nursed it home. I even drove a 2002 Allroad for 6 years (90k to 150k). Maintenance does matter. Keeping your eyes out for strange things during an oil change can save you some lost time on the side of the road.
100%.

My Wrangler is a 1998, originally from California, and so far has never seen New England salt. It has 163k miles, but drives and looks close to new. The frame is spotless. A similar Jeep that was in the rust belt its whole life would be falling apart by now, it's sad.

If you are lucky to find the random years they have great reliability they are great cars. VW is seriously not consistent however they do address their failings.
We have had 3 from 2008-2017 and all have been extremely good. In the early 2000's they were not good but heck that was a quarter century ago. I think the only two car brands that a truly reliable are Toyota and honda. Some of the junk Ford, GM and Hyundai put out is pure garbage yet people love to hate on VW.

I'm just surprised the New England salt hasn't killed the car.

As a 2016 Jetta owner, ours is currently mint right now but opposite, we are at 40k. Due to WFH environment. i would have been curious to hear if that person did the 10k "recommended" oil change service or cut it down to 5k like most of us on here.

Also good to hear non-bashing of VW/VAG products.

Back